Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-13, 10:23 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

If you've had gum surgery - please come here

Last Friday I had a gum graft - tissue removed from the roof of my mouth and grafted onto the lower front gums, with the self-dissolving type stitches.

Is it normal for me to still feel like hell a week later? The pain is going down but I'm fatigued, cranky, fed up with gumming down soft food with a mouth guard on, and living on smoothies. I don't have the gumption for anything but short walks and restorative yoga. Really restorative yoga. I also have a low-grade headache all the time.

Has anyone else had this procedure, and did you feel this worn out from it? I called the office yesterday and the nurse said "Well we told you that you weren't going to feel like 100%." Sheesh I feel like 25%
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 10:30 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I've had gum surgery and can total relate to how you feel. I felt like hell too and honestly didn't feel normal until I was back on regular food for a few days.

For me it was the combination of having to eat only soft foods or blended drinks + dealing with the pain and discomfort that just zapped my energy. It's like I wasn't getting the nutrition my body was used to so it felt like I wasn't getting enough. I can almost guarantee that once you get the all clear to eat your usual diet that you'll feel loads better.

In the meantime, take care of yourself. Gum surgery is no joke!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 10:30 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Pat - I didn't feel too bad after mine, but I only had two teeth grafted. How many did you have? I have heard of others who have had several teeth done having a hard time and a long recovery. (((Hugs))) and I hope you rally soon!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 10:31 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

(((PAT))) So sorry you are having a difficult recovery Did they remove the surface layers of the roof of your mouth or did they perform an incision to remove tissue inside? My MIL had gum grafts with the former approach several years ago and she was in great pain and took about a month to recover. I have had a few gum grafts with the latter method (which is supposed to be newer) and I was able to work from home the same day, to do normal activities the next, and to return to my full workouts within 2 weeks. The doctor recommended avoiding my normal workouts for 2 full weeks because increased blood flow to the area could hinder recovery, but I felt like I could have worked out normally within a couple of days.
Feeling 25% after a week does not sound normal based on my experience...
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 10:35 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Feeling 25% after a week does not sound normal based on my experience...
I would have to agree with Fuzzie on this!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 10:37 AM  
marmact

I had it done years ago and felt better within a couple of days. Did they give you anesthesia? Maybe that's the issue? Or are you still taking pain meds? I get really cranky on any extended medication regimen.

Regardless, I hope you feel better soon! Try to get some rest.
Old 08-24-13, 10:44 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Oh man, Pat! Hugs to you!!! I sure hope you feel better soon!

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 10:44 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

So sorry to hear what you are going through! My dentist recommended I go for a consult on this and so far I have not because I am afraid. dutchgirl, if you are still reading, did you use the guy in Santa Cruz? My dentist claims that's the best guy around for this kind of thing. Hope you feel better soon, Pat!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 10:55 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
So sorry to hear what you are going through! My dentist recommended I go for a consult on this and so far I have not because I am afraid. dutchgirl, if you are still reading, did you use the guy in Santa Cruz? My dentist claims that's the best guy around for this kind of thing. Hope you feel better soon, Pat!
I went to a periodontist in San Jose. I'd love the name of the guy in Santa Cruz when you get a chance. I have several genetic risks for receding gums and will probably have to have another graft sometime in the future.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 11:02 AM  
JeepGirl

I just had gum surgery--sounds like the same procedure you had--on Wednesday and feel exactly the same! I did get out and walk the dogs today but otherwise haven't worked out at all. My goal is to get a 20 minute Suzanne Bowen in later. The incision on the upper palate hasn't been bothering me too badly--it's stitched and packed with something that looks like a wad of gum--but the lowers are really bugging me. I woke up at 4 am to one of my teeth throbbing, so I took 3 Aleve, put some anbesol-like stuff they gave me on the teeth/gum area and went back to bed with an ice pack. They prescribed Tylenol with codeine but it made me sick to my stomach so I'm just taking the Aleve. I thought by this point I would be pretty much back to normal.....I hope you feel better soon....
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gum graft, gum surgery