Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-29-08, 07:46 AM  
Vee

Mild, intermittent knee pain during exercise

I feel mild pain in my right knee sometimes during exercise. It stops almost immediately and never gets severe.

It started when I first exercised on a recumbent bike about six months ago. I think I used the cycle at a wrong angle and with too much resistance and did not stop when I felt knee discomfort.

I have learned to adjust the cycle correctly now and no longer feel pain while cycling.

Since then I feel a twinge sometimes. It never happens during heavy weight training, because I am very aware and move slowly. It ususally happens when I am doing quick work - like say unweighted squat intervals during circuit training. It could be during yoga when I transfer weight to the right leg in a lunge during a vinyasa, or it could be during kick boxing.

My instinct is to ignore it because it is intermittent, very mild and never lasts long.

On the other hand six months is a long time, and I am worried it could develop into something serious.

The PT at the gym gave me exercises and stretches that seem way too basic. I feel nothing when I do them. I have not done them regularly, so I am being unfair at dismissing them. He also says to not use heavy weights when I do lower body work until it clears up, which makes no sense to me since the pain happens only when I am doing unweighted or low-weighted work (quick movements).

Has anyone else experienced this? What has helped and what caution would you suggest?
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 09:23 AM  
Bebop

I get intermittent knee problems too. They may not be the same as yours.

Somsetimes, my knee will go out during step workouts. Two weeks ago, my knee -right knee (usually it's my left knee) just got twingy during a walk in the mall (I was wearing comfortable heals).

Yoga poses that require you to kneel on the knees bother me.

I am very careful doing step workouts and leg presses now.

Front lunges bother me but not back lunges.

My knees have never bothered me during the recum. bike.

Since my pian is not constant and is usually brought about by some activity this is what I do: I follow R.I.C>E- I immediatelly ice it, rest it, war a knee bandage utnill healed and try to keep it elevated. I will modify my routine and just do upper body.

I give it a good 7 - 10 days to heal.My test is this - if I can stand and not be in pain,I don't call the Dr.

However, in your case, if the pain keeps coming back, it would not be a bad idea to have it checked out by a Dr. I'm a firm believer in having small pains checked out because these injuries could become serious.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 09:58 AM  
Vee

Thank you Bebop.

Pain during workouts, I can accept (sort of). So sorry to hear that your knee gave trouble while just walking the mall. That seems so unfair a thing to happen to a person who works out! Isnt exercise supposed to prevent such things?

I have heard so much about RICE, but never tried it. I will now.

Vrinda
Old 02-29-08, 11:04 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I have also had some mild knee issues from time to time. My exercise activities have never seemed to aggravate it, so I never stopped doing them, although I certainly was more careful during times of discomfort. During those times, I would also occasionally due some basic PT-type exercises designed to strengthen the knee muscles (even though, like you said, you don't really feel anything from these at the time), and I have also sometimes iced my knee. It has never developed into anything more serious, and I can't even recall the last time it was bothering me at all.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 12:03 PM  
Vee

Thanks Beth.

I only ever feel the pain when exercising. It is a twinge during some move, that stops within 5 minutes of ceasing activity. Most times I can go on exercising without stopping, as long as I am "more aware" when shifting weight to that leg. For a day or so after the twinge, I feel mild pain if I try to do a one-legged squat on the bad side.

I will get it checked out if icing, elevation at night and wearing a knee-wrap thingie does not clear it up completely.
Old 02-29-08, 03:47 PM  
Bebop

Vee - if you are feeling the pain while exercising, stop doing that exercise. It's like in yoga - go to your competitive edge - never pain. Your knee pain is your body telling you not to do that move. Be kind to your body - respect it. If you push through the pain, you may create a worse injury.

I also forgot to tell you that I take ibuprofin while I'm rehabbing it.

Check this out with a Dr. Since you know what moves bring the pain, it will probably be easy to diagnose.

Oh, my doctor told me to strengthen my quads to help with knee pain.

I think my knee going out while in the mall was my "guardian angel" telling me to get out before I spent more money.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 10:43 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee
The PT at the gym gave me exercises and stretches that seem way too basic....
Do you mean physical therapist or personal trainer? If personal trainer, many have only high-school degrees, may or may not have a quality certification, and rarely (if they're in a typical gym) have expertise in rehabbing people with injuries.
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 11:02 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Vee,

Internet diagnoses are always dicey - but I'll tell you in my experience that knee pain - even occasional knee pain, is something I would take very seriously - and I would absolutely stop doing any activity that aggravates it. I'm 52 - I've gone though a few decades if iterations of joint pain. In my experience, things that start the way you describe exacerbate over time - and once you have a knee issue, there is no going back.

FYI, I know longer do fast vinyasa, I used to do alot of step aerobics - I know do that very rarely. You only have one set of joints - once they go, they're gone. Its not something I would play with.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 11:06 PM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysql
Do you mean physical therapist or personal trainer? If personal trainer, many have only high-school degrees, may or may not have a quality certification, and rarely (if they're in a typical gym) have expertise in rehabbing people with injuries.
I meant the physiotherapist.

The issue is most people who come in to see him are people who are either sedentary or whose workouts are gentle.

I am not sure he is factoring my fitness level into the therapy he is designing for me.

I have strong quads/hamstrings and am above average (not yogi average, but average as compared to people who dont work on flexibility) on flexibility from yoga.

I have a feeling my pain is some kind of overuse issue.
Old 02-29-08, 11:19 PM  
Vee

Thank you so much everyone.

I deeply appreciate your advice.

I am going to have it looked into. I am going to find someone who treats athletes for injuries. I have no delusions that I am atlete-fit, but I want someone who will empathize with how difficult it is for me to follow blanket restrictions.

I am not overly obsessive. I dont mind slowing down on things that are really contra-indicated. But I dont want an over-conservative program that eliminates excessively, and gives me only exercises and stretches that I totally dont feel.

What you said about restricting just those activities that cause the pain (like fast vinyasa or un/low weighted quick lower body work where I can lose awareness of form) makes sense to me.