Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-14, 12:39 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmom View Post
Adding a bit of chili powder to a batch of brownies gives a nice "spicy-sweet" flavor. Top with dulce le leche ice cream and/or caramel syrup. Decadent!
kat - how much chili do you add to a 20 oz sized mix?

speaking of chili, i learned this from my college friend -

add 1 t. of curry powder to a pot of chili

i impressed my mother in law (wasn't married yet) but she was VERY impressed.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 07:45 AM  
katmom

Depending on how much heat you want, add 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon chili powder and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon to one 20-oz box of brownie mix.

If you can find it, ground chipotle chile pepper is best with this recipe, but I have successfully used ground cayenne or chili powder.
Old 08-27-14, 09:48 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
For smoothies, I like these flavor drops: http://capellaflavordrops.com/flavordrops.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosepetals View Post
Those drops are not safe to eat in my standards. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnP View Post
I think flavored extracts are perfectly safe in small quantities like grocery store-sized bottles.
DawnP, I think rosepetals was talking about the specific 'flavor drops' in KarenP's post above, not standard flavored extracts/essences.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 01:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmom View Post
Depending on how much heat you want, add 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon chili powder and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon to one 20-oz box of brownie mix.

If you can find it, ground chipotle chile pepper is best with this recipe, but I have successfully used ground cayenne or chili powder.
thank you!

my local health food store (Down to Earth, located in Honolulu) is the greatest place to buy spices, in case any of you are visiting Honolulu. We have Whole Foods also. however, Down to Earth is locally owned, and they always have the most up to date inventory of spices. i'll be checking for ground chipotle. i might have seen this in Safeway too.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 08:47 AM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

Almonds amazing. I use Bourbon in my baking too. Not an extract - it's pure booze - but it tastes amazing in apple pie or my favourite - rich chocolate brownies. Dan Leppard (UK) has a fab Bourbon brownie recipe!
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote