Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-23, 11:28 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I did the original STS rotation when it was first release (early 2000s?), so that was a long time ago! I liked it, at the time...but I'm like that with every new release. I never went back to it because sticking to a 90 day rotation is tough. The closest I've come has been with Travis Eliot's 108 day Ultimate Yogi about 10 years ago.

Fast forward to STS 2.0 and I loved it from the start. I did try some of the premixes towards the last couple weeks of the 90 day rotation, because of time constraints. This is a much more useful set, for me. The variety of weight work alone is terrific with so many equipment options. Loved the pace, set, crew, Cathe's clothing. The non-weight workouts weren't as great as the strength workouts, though. Some were better than others like Total Body Stretch, Mat Yoga, Mobility 1 & 2, and the Ab/Core DVDs. I really can see myself using this set again. Like everyone else, I wanted a longer stretch at the end of each workout than what we were given. But, I ended up adding my additional yoga and mobility non-Cathe in the last 60 days. I also missed some of my cardio activities, as it was almost non-existent during this rotation, per Cathe's guidelines/recommendations.

I am curious about the original STS now, as I've completely wiped it from my memory banks. Those pushups in Meso One, though. Yikes! I wonder how challenging it would be for me, after completing STS 2.0

When I do another 2.0 rotation, I would not do quite so many weeks of Individual Body Parts at the end. I think a better option would have been in the last couple of weeks to cycle back through the Total Body and Split routines once more, as those were done so early on in the rotation. Or, I would extend the rotation to 120 days to include cardio twice a week or sprinkled here and there.

I think anyone can do this rotation with the equipment you have. Really, you don't need a barbell and plates, etc. I have adjustable dumbbells so used those the most, and even grabbed my heavier kettlebell for some of the moves. You will need heavy weight for lower body work (deadlifts, rows, etc.) But, don't let not having every single piece of equipment keep you from getting a really good workout. Sure, it's a heavy lifting program but use this as a training course for building foundational strength, also. Because the lifting is slow and controlled. This is a very accessible program for Intermediate exercisers. You choose what weight you're going to lift, and not every exerciser is going to match Cathe's weight. If you have to pause the DVD to add more reps, do so! You can so easily make this program your own!

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-23, 03:37 PM  
warriorprincess

I don't think they're very similar. The original STS reminded me of "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" in that it was a very structured progression. The disks are numbered 1 through 40ish. The first Mesocycle built the endurance you needed for the next two. The second Mesocycle had 1 minute rest periods and medium rep ranges to focus on building muscle. The third Mesocyle had glorious 3 minute rest periods and low rep ranges to focus on strength. It gave you the option to use the Plyo workout or the Squat Rack workout for legs if you had that equipment. I did STS many times.

STS 2.0 is more like Mesocycle 2, as far as number of reps and rest periods. Even though the total body workouts (Giant sets, Trisets, Supersets) had 2 minute rests, you're lifting several sets without a break until that point. I would say that even though this series does build muscle endurance and strength, it's primarily focused on building muscle. It's easy to remember what each workout is so that you can choose one to do on any day without it being part of a rotation. Personally, I've done the shoulder body parts 6-7 times.

I hear you on those neverending pushups in Mesocycle 1, Pam. I wish Cathe had invented that trick with the loop around the arms back then!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-23, 09:58 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I only have the 3 total body workouts of STS 2. I do have one minor complaint. She has 5 background exercisers, and Al often isn't in the frame. You often see only half of him if you see him at all. Meanwhile, Brenda's weight rack is always in the frame. Perhaps he could have been placed differently. I think it's important to show everyone.
Old 09-22-23, 11:42 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I only have the 3 total body workouts of STS 2. I do have one minor complaint. She has 5 background exercisers, and Al often isn't in the frame. You often see only half of him if you see him at all. Meanwhile, Brenda's weight rack is always in the frame. Perhaps he could have been placed differently. I think it's important to show everyone.
I was so disappointed by that! There were so many times I would just say, "there's Al's arm making an appearance" or "hey look, Al's leg" when I really just wanted to see Al
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-23, 02:14 PM  
warriorprincess

Me three! I like seeing Al.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-23, 01:55 PM  
katmom

Thank you for the responses! I think I will not invest in OG STS and purchase Cathe’s new offering.

I enjoyed the STS 2.0 total body workouts. I sometimes like rotations using total body routines and sometimes like splits. Regarding the STS 2.0 premixes, when I reached the point in the 8 week rotation for each body part, I used the premixes in the 10 week rotation. They weren’t bad but did not flow as well as other Cathe premixes. These were the only premixes I tried so I can’t say anything about the others. I also was not overly fond of the stretching/recovery routines.

Funny about the mention of Al, I also noticed he was frequently not in the frame.
Old 09-23-23, 02:24 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Me four (or is it five?) on Al! Seriously, we see Jenn and Kristen all the time in the Lives and/or other recent Cathe DVDs, so I was looking forward to seeing Al a lot more than he was shown!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-23, 03:23 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
. . "The closest I've come has been with Travis Eliot's 108 day Ultimate Yogi about 10 years ago." ...
I had to laugh at this. Ultimate Yogi was the shortest rotation I ever did. I only did the first day. I realized it just wasn't for me. LOL!

The original STS was one of the few rotations I ever completed. (Though, I skipped Meso 1 and went right to 2 and then 3.)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe sts, cathe sts 2.0, sts, sts 2.0, sts 2.0 reviews