Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-22, 02:59 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Youtube workout channel that is easy on my injured knee

Hi, I injured both my knees about 2.5 years ago, but I have been modifying & able to do squats, etc. until last week, when I did something that really trashed my left knee (not quite sure exactly what)--so now I cannot bend my knee without severe pain & I am no longer able to do squats, etc. This is something I've never experienced before, so I am really upset.

Well, I have tried working out, but a lot of stuff is just not doable. However, I did get lucky last night & found a walk that works for me. It is on the Walks of Life youtube channel. This channel has a computerized person doing the workout & she just does one move for about 30? seconds, then switches to another move. There isn't much walking in place. I was able to do the 30 minute weight loss walk with a few modifications. I thought the music was pretty good, too.

I don't know if this channel was listed on any of the other youtube workout threads, but I thought I'd post this for anyone interested. Let me know if you like these workouts as well!

I did call my health insurance co. today, & luckily, I do not need a dr. referral for an orthopedic surgeon, so I was able to set up an appointment for Dec. 7. Wish me luck!

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-22, 04:53 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I am sorry this happened to you. The knee is so important in almost every leg movement. Thanks for the you tube channel info, and I hope the doctor can help you.
Old 11-29-22, 06:31 PM  
wendug

Jennifer- Sorry to hear about your knee. I really like a YT channel called DC Fitt. She injured her knee a few months ago and all of her recent workouts work around her knee injury. I believe one of the workouts is done entirely in a chair. She does lots of low impact and strength workouts which might be a good resource for you. Good luck with your Dr.'s appointment!
Old 11-29-22, 07:56 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

SeniorShape Fitness has a chair playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qXXUzQ57U1Jp7y

So does Improved Health: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...MLxGPLh28GSxRy

Silver & Fit: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...koIY84qZBL5ude Many of these are chair workouts

Caroline Jordan: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7EhbmQ95uU6Ojh

Hang in there!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-22, 08:26 PM  
bubbles76

I have been dealing with knee issues for month sweetie, so I feel your pain. Physical therapy helped loads for me. Maybe you won't need surgery and walking is all you will need? I hope for a speedy recovery either way. Good luck! And thanks for the advice on the youtube channel. I may take a peek, as I'm still babying my knee
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-22, 09:23 PM  
katmom

Another vote for Improved Health when I was recovering from a knee injury this year. I also like Senior Shape but found I used Improved Health more for cardio. I tried Paul Eugene’s channel but he annoyed me.
Old 11-30-22, 08:24 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
SeniorShape Fitness has a chair playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qXXUzQ57U1Jp7y

So does Improved Health: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...MLxGPLh28GSxRy

Silver & Fit: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...koIY84qZBL5ude Many of these are chair workouts

Caroline Jordan: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7EhbmQ95uU6Ojh

Hang in there!

Carol
Caroline Jordan was wonderful when I was injured. You need to provide your own music….my only disappointment.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-22, 02:40 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

I hope you feel better soon and get relief from the orthopedic visit. I have a visit myself for December 16th so I sympathize with you.

Joyn- joyful movement has a YouTube channel with seated workouts ranging from HIIT to dance to yoga. Likewise, Paul Eugene has a lot of YouTube workouts. I soured on him a bit though when I saw an instagram post with him outside of a strip club. Yuck. But, if that doesn't bother you then he has good workouts.

I also modify Leslie when my knee is really acting up. I don't do full kicks but do heel taps with my knee slightly bent. I don't do knee ups but I do front taps. Lastly, instead of hamstring curls, I do either reverse v steps or just slightly lift my leg back and squeeze my butt. I am able to do Leslie with these modifications and my knee doesn't ache. I still sweat and if I want more I will use my weighted gloves and my lighter weighted vest (the heavier one does aggravate my knee). She has become my go to cardio workout! Good luck!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-22, 03:19 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Thank you everyone for the kind wishes and suggestions. I can do Leslie usually, but I need a slower pace right now. I think Jessica Smith might work, too, as long as I know what's coming with the moves.

I did the Walks of Life 45 minute cardio yesterday and I liked it. I concentrated on the arm movements and could feel it. I rarely use hand weights, but if you do, this would be a good workout to use them. One thing was kind of funny about the workout. On the side bar, it listed the steps as being 2000 something, but I got a little over 5000 wearing my fitbit one.

I will post an update after seeing the Dr., and I hope everyone else posts updates on their diagnosis and progress. Thanks again for all the support!

Old 12-10-22, 03:58 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Well, I went the orthopedic surgeon on Wednesday. The positives: I didn't have to wait very long to go back to see the dr. The physician's assistant asked a few questions, & then I was taken back to x-rays. They took x-rays of my front & rear knees & also my inner knees. Then, I went back to the examining room & didn't have to wait very long to see the dr.

He looked at & showed me my x-rays. The x-rays showed I have arthritis setting in around my knee caps; there is a thinning of the cartilage around my knee caps. The right knee is thinner than the left knee. He offered to give me steroid shots in my knees & prescribe pain killers as a start to see if that would help. I said okay to both. The shots in my knees didn't hurt as much as I thought they would & they did give me some relief. I just picked up the pain killers today, so I can't speak for how they will feel. He also talked about meniscus tears & how the surgery for that is outpatient, etc.

I was given the choice of making another appointment for a month away or calling to make an appointment, & I made the appointment. I am glad I did, as my main complaint with my knees is the outsides of my knees (& the back of my left knee) & I am still bothered by that pain. Also, I was squatting & lunging prior to a few weeks ago & now I feel pain & that if I do so something is going to snap or pop. I did some research & found out that to diagnose meniscus tears & other problems an MRI is needed. That is what I'm going to ask for at the next appointment.

I hate waiting so long, but I want to follow his protocol, as a sign of respect for his knowledge, I guess. I also don't like taking pain killers, but I guess he might take me more seriously if I try what he wants to try first. In the meantime, I am going to write down all symptoms & pains I feel so I don't forget anything when I "present my case" to get further tests done to get the problem fixed instead of just throwing pain killers at it.

Does anyone else have experiences with their dr. they'd like to share?

Tags
knee friendly, knee injuries, knee injury, knee pain, youtube channels