Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-19, 10:16 AM  
kat999

For those of you with a FIRM addiction...

I made the mistake this week of figuring out how many individual FIRM workouts I have, not counting FIRM Express and the things that are closely related to the FIRM, like Fit Prime and Kick Butt or former instructors like Tracie Long who are doing things that are rather similar. Counting classics, parts, basics, and individual workouts on compilation DVDs from all eras of the FIRM, I could do a different FIRM workout for 47 days without repeating anything. I know they had WAY more than that, and there are entire systems like Zip that I never purchased, but I was pretty impressed that I had that many. 15 of them are on VHS, and everything else is on DVD.

I love other workout leaders and systems (particularly Jari Love, Ellen Barrett, Jessica Smith, Rainbeau Mars, and Leslie Sansone; have a bit of Cathe and Jillian Michaels, too), but I am struck by just how long I've been collecting FIRM workouts and consistently continuing to do them. I think I got my first video of theirs a full 20 years ago.

So as I try to expand my collection a little bit, I'm wondering whether I should focus on a) trying to replace my VHS titles with DVD versions and share the wealth of the old VHS ones, b) acquiring the ones I don't own (there are a few I deliberately ditched that I didn't like, so I'd probably skip those)? The latter sounds more fun, but the former sounds practical given I'm down to one VCR in my house and who knows how long that'll last!

I'm sure some of you have far more titles in your own collections. I feel like such a dork here. I am a big music and movie fan, and I'm sure I have more FIRM workouts than I do albums by some of my favorite bands.
Old 05-31-19, 11:13 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I still have a big Firm collection. I was just thinking about pulling them out again and starting a summer rotation! I have to modify these days, but I still love them

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-19, 11:27 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Yes, summer's the perfect time for me to do a full-on Firm rotation, as school's out and I have summers off. I'm just too tired to regularly attempt long workouts during the school year.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-19, 12:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I will always have the classics in my collection. i go back now and then - even my family recognizes that it's a vintage workout!!

i also collected the Good Times and Gaiam sets, WHFN, and other related series, but the classics will have a special place in my heart. it was VF that acquainted me with the Firm in 1995, and by that time, many workouts had already been released on VHS.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-19, 04:45 PM  
lizh

I have a pretty big Firm collection and I stray away from time to time to try other instructors but I always seems to head back to the Firm. Until recently, a large percentage of my collection was on VHS that I had acquired second hand via Ebay for cheap. I figured it was a good way to try out many of the older titles and fill in the holes. I lucked out and noticed a sale on fitnessfavorites and was able to replace many of my VHS with DVDs (about a year ago). However, there are a few titles that are no longer available to purchase on DVD, so you may be best off sticking with your VHS and buying titles you don't have yet! In my humble opinion, over all the years and all the titles there aren't too many duds!

All that to say, I like having my large collection because I go through different phases where sometimes I prefer the pinks, then I prefer the classics, then I prefer BSS4, etc.

Enjoy and if you makes some purchases, let us know what you get and what you think of them!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-19, 05:15 PM  
MoFirmer

I have every FIRM ever put out since Volume 1. LOVE every one of them for various reasons!
Old 05-31-19, 07:14 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFirmer View Post
I have every FIRM ever put out since Volume 1. LOVE every one of them for various reasons!
So how many do you have? Do you include post BSS workouts?

I recently replaced my favorite VHS workouts with DVDs - I had to search around as many are no longer available from FitnessFavorites. I got some from TotalFitnessDVDs and a couple on ebay. The VHS player could wear out or the tapes could wear out. I already have to rewind them while they are running.

Most all of mine are on VHS but I am only replacing my favorites. Too expensive!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-19, 10:13 PM  
MoFirmer

You know.... I've never counted them all I don't think! LOL!

I have from Volume 1 to the ZIP series. So yes I include everything that carried the FIRM name. Transfirm your body with Allie, Pinks, Gaiam sets.... you name it.
Old 06-01-19, 05:55 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I used to have over 50 Firms, now I have 10 and 2 WHFN. I don't use them as often as before but I don't think I can part with them. Like someone else said, I will use them once in a while, and will have to modify but that's okay. They are good workouts and if I parted with them I know that I would be sorry down the road. So they stay and I will visit here and there.

I wish they were a little more balanced though. I did Hi Def Sculpt earlier in the week and it's a nice workout, but there are numerous sets of lunges and only one or two sets of squats. I don't get that. I will try the Express workout soon and see what I think of that.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 07:26 AM  
Carol K

I have 106 FIRM DVDs and that does include FIRM Express, but not the few FitPrimes I have. I originally bought the BBH workouts and BSS1 through BSS3 on VHS. But in 2015, when Gaiam stopped producing FIRMs and Fitness Favorites was having a big sale, I replaced all of the VHS with DVDs, except for the 6 compilations and the 1 Basic that I own. I also purchased the Prime Power workouts for the first time. They had been released soon before I discovered this board in 1997 and everyone hated them, so I never bought them. Now I really enjoy those workouts.

Tags
the firm