Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-18, 10:37 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
You can always use lighter kettlebells for doubles work which is incredibly fun. Lauren Brooks and AOS (Newport?)...
...Firepower.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 10:26 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I also use a 15# kettlebell, with my wonky shoulder. bubbles, I suggest looking at Goodwill at sports equipment. I saw several KBs in my local one for a great price so you may find a 13 or 15 pounder that wouldn't require much investment until you are sure you want to marry KB rather than just date them. ITA with Exercise Diva about being very careful with the overhead moves.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 07:47 AM  
bubbles76

Unfortunately no Goodwills in my area. The local thrift stores don't have exercise equipment either. But thanks for confirming my decision to buy a smaller kettlebell.

Now what do you think of Skogg
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 12:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Unfortunately no Goodwills in my area. The local thrift stores don't have exercise equipment either. But thanks for confirming my decision to buy a smaller kettlebell.
bubbles, i've noticed that Ross's has been carrying kettlebells for around $1 per pound, and i saw 10# and possibly a 15# bell.

also, they've been carrying medicine balls - i saw a 20# one there just yesterday. each store has a different selection.

i've also seen kettlebells on craigslist. some listers refer to them as dumbbells, so you might want to try that search term.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 01:07 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks Bzar. I have looked on Craigslist in my area and most are selling for nearly as much as it would cost brand new in the store. When you factor in driving to pick it up I would be better off ordering a CAP kettlebell from Walmart. And they will ship to me

I have been stalking Ross for kettlebells but the ones i have seen are huge and unwieldy.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 10-12-18, 01:30 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post

I have been stalking Ross for kettlebells but the ones i have seen are huge and unwieldy.
I bought a 15 pound kb from Marshalls and it is HUGE! I do use it, but looking back on it I should have spent more on a kb that is better quality and not so large. I have a 20 pound j/fit kb that is about half the diameter of the 15 pound kb from Marshalls!
Old 10-12-18, 01:39 PM  
aliskina

Don't buy the bulky vinyl-wrapped ones, as a beginner, you need smaller kb to learn to maneuver properly
aliskina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 06:40 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Diamond Pro kettlebells from Walmart and Rep Fitness kettlebells from Amazon are my go-to choices and good value for money. Both are excellent brands and I have small, wimpy hands so these have definitely worked out well
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-18, 07:06 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks ladies! Tiffanywu, I was wondering about those Rep Fitness kettlebells on Amazon. Oh, and I saw on the other thread, I'm a late starter too . Tiny Bubble is 8 and I'm 43, so welcome to the club!
Old 10-13-18, 08:15 AM  
SandyT

I second the Diamond Pro at Walmart on-line. Excellent quality for decent prices.
SandyT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner kettlebell, kettlebell, kettlebell beginner