Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-18, 09:30 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I also had few, if any, symptoms of menopause other than infrequent periods. I was on BCP and my doctor told me to stay on them until we were sure I was through with periods. My grandfather's mother was 52 when she had her last child. This was in the 19th century, so I can only imagine what she went through.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 09:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Carol, thanks for the feedback...it is definitely interesting how docs are different! I believe my GYN wants to take me off the pill mainly b/c of the increased risk of stroke, even though I've never smoked and have no family history. I believe my current pill is also low-dose (norethindrone acetate 1 mg and ethinyl estradiol 20mcg).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 09:51 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I also had few, if any, symptoms of menopause other than infrequent periods. I was on BCP and my doctor told me to stay on them until we were sure I was through with periods. My grandfather's mother was 52 when she had her last child. This was in the 19th century, so I can only imagine what she went through.
My doctor told me to stay on until I had gone a year without a period and by that time I was 52. He said the oldest woman on record to become pregnant naturally was 57!
Old 05-05-18, 09:55 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Carol, thanks for the feedback...it is definitely interesting how docs are different! I believe my GYN wants to take me off the pill mainly b/c of the increased risk of stroke, even though I've never smoked and have no family history. I believe my current pill is also low-dose (norethindrone acetate 1 mg and ethinyl estradiol 20mcg).
That sounds like the pill I was taking. And as I said, I took it until I was 55, although I'm sure my doctor would have taken me off it if my blood pressure had gone up. I'm on generic Norvasc and my blood pressure has stayed in the normal range since I've been taking it.
Old 05-05-18, 10:04 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
That sounds like the pill I was taking. And as I said, I took it until I was 55, although I'm sure my doctor would have taken me off it if my blood pressure had gone up. I'm on generic Norvasc and my blood pressure has stayed in the normal range since I've been taking it.
Weird b/c if anything, my BP has always been in the low range! I guess I'll ask my GYN for more info at my annual this summer.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-06-18, 12:04 AM  
Genevieve M

I could never tolerate BCP; I developed profound depression on them. In my early 50's, I was diagnosed with early-stage, estrogen positive BC. Very lucky, since my sister died of another type of BC at 47.

I was supposed to take tamoxifen, which is an estrogen blocker for five years after radiation. Could not tolerate this medication. Became profoundly depressed to the point of hospitalization. Tough medication to tolerate.

Would love to pursue HRT or bioidentical hormones, but since I am cancer-free for ten years now, I will leave well-enough alone.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 02:41 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

GeneviveM,

If yiu want to look into some ideas around natural alternatuves to managing your cycle and dealing with perimeno, look into the book Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden. It is written my a Canadian naturopath (currently based in Australia) and discusses underlying causes to common menstrual problems and diet and suppement solutions to them.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 05:48 AM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I just turned 50 last week! I have gained about 8 pounds since Thanksgiving, I think due in part to a medication issue. However, I have specifically noticed much of this weight gain in my abdomen, which was never really an issue for me in the past.

I have uterine fibroids--several of them quite large--and am wondering if they could be contributing to my tummy-specific weight gain? I actually asked my GYN about this last summer (prior to then, I had gained about 3-4 lbs over the course of a year), and he said NO, but when I Googled, the answer was YES! Anyone have personal experience with this?
Hello,

I just turned 50 jan this year.

I also have uterine fibroids. I had them embolised in 2014 because they became so large that they were pressing into my spine. I only know this due to pain and having a scan. The interventional radiologist showed me the pictures and said no wonder you are in so much pain. I could see 3 huge fibroids and one was against my spine. The consultant said I had the tummy of a 30 week pregnancy.
So yes I did gain weight and I even though my fibroids have shrank to half the size, my tummy is still quite large and I don't exercise as much as I used to at all. I believe I am going through menopause, but I am not quite sure. I just know I have gained a lot of weight, more than I ever was, but mostly in the abs. also I struggle with interest to do a lot of things. I am always tired sometimes with low moods and a lack of enthusiasm. I don't want to be like this but I believe I must be going through something as I am generally a very motivated and get up and go type of person. I did ask my dr about a menopause test, but he said there was no such thing, even though my friends have said they have had a test to see if they are in the menopause.
I keep touching base with this forum hoping I can motivate myself to get back to regular exercise like I used to.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 08:19 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Calistro, thanks so much for the feedback! My own fibroids were diagnosed about 3 years ago when my GYN felt my uterus was enlarged. He had me do an ultrasound, which I believed confirmed about 4-5 fibroids, one fairly large. Since then he has suggested we just keep an eye on them, but he wasn't concerned. As far as I know, I am not having any pain/discomfort from mine. However, I recently had an abdominal CT scan (for something else), and it said this about my fibroids:
Quote:
Enlarged heterogeneous lobulated uterus is consistent with fibroid change largest fibroid measures approximately 7.4 x 6.6 cm
Not sure if that is especially large or not? Again, I guess I will need to follow-up with my GYN.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 05-06-18, 09:41 AM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
I could never tolerate BCP; I developed profound depression on them. In my early 50's, I was diagnosed with early-stage, estrogen positive BC. Very lucky, since my sister died of another type of BC at 47.

I was supposed to take tamoxifen, which is an estrogen blocker for five years after radiation. Could not tolerate this medication. Became profoundly depressed to the point of hospitalization. Tough medication to tolerate.

Would love to pursue HRT or bioidentical hormones, but since I am cancer-free for ten years now, I will leave well-enough alone.
Neither of my sisters could tolerate birth control pills either, although they didn't have severe depression symptoms. I'm so happy to hear you have been in remission for so long and it would probably be best not to pursue HRT. The famous study in which women taking HRT got breast cancer, my doctor told me that every one of them had either never taken birth control pills or had a long break in between birth control pills and HRT. That's why he takes his patients from one to the other with no break.

Tags
aging, cancer, fibroids, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, old talk, over 50