Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-18, 03:50 PM  
pharma_gal

Are these workouts more stretching or toning? Thanks.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 04:36 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Are these workouts more stretching or toning? Thanks.
Body Sculpting Series 2 is toning based. The new Stretch Series Vol 1, by the same three instructors, is stretching based.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 04:38 PM  
prettyinpink

All of Essentrics has a lot of stretching because you contract the muscles from an extended (stretched) position. But I would say these are more toning focused in that they are flow more quickly than some others.

It could be that for those who do CS more regularly and have done them for longer, there would seem less of a difference because they can automatically get deeper into the movements. I am more of a sporadic CS and Essentrics person. I do them regularly for a while and then stop.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 04:51 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

It is all dynamic stretching and strengthening. The new BSS2 is definitely a more advanced toning workout...certainly more challenging than anything they've put out in the last couple years.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 06:36 PM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Eccentrics fans, what are your favorite DVDs? I am really enjoying this workout.

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 07:15 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise R View Post
Eccentrics fans, what are your favorite DVDs? I am really enjoying this workout.
I love these two new ones, BSS2 & Stretch Series Vol 1. I'd say my other faves are Ultimate Stretch, Strength & Stretch in Motion, Full Body Toning, & the original BSS.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 07:54 PM  
DCW

My favourite Essentrics dvd?

Wow! Hard question. It depends on how my body is feeling and what other exercising I have done.

This week I am taking boot camp which was pretty intense. So season 11 which is more stretchy fit the bill.

Last week I walked a LOT. So season 11 helped stretch out sore calves and feet.

I do an episode every morning. I own 5 different seasons sets. I also own most of the other Essentrics DVDs. I mix and match. I love doing the Barre dvd at work on my portable dvd player.

Each dvd or season fits in whether I need a more intense workout or need to stretch from raking leaves or hauling mulch.

That's why I love Essentrics!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 08:11 PM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
My favourite Essentrics dvd?

Wow! Hard question. It depends on how my body is feeling and what other exercising I have done.

This week I am taking boot camp which was pretty intense. So season 11 which is more stretchy fit the bill.

Last week I walked a LOT. So season 11 helped stretch out sore calves and feet.

I do an episode every morning. I own 5 different seasons sets. I also own most of the other Essentrics DVDs. I mix and match. I love doing the Barre dvd at work on my portable dvd player.

Each dvd or season fits in whether I need a more intense workout or need to stretch from raking leaves or hauling mulch.

That's why I love Essentrics!
What do you gain from Essentrics, especially from doing them daily? Toning, definition, stretching?!?

I am wanting to add more of this into my routine and love hearing all the comments (and results).

Denise

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Old 05-10-18, 11:03 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise R View Post
What do you gain from Essentrics, especially from doing them daily? Toning, definition, stretching?!?

I am wanting to add more of this into my routine and love hearing all the comments (and results).

Denise
My favorite dvds....well, depends on how I am feeling. If I am tight and my back is flaring I do Miranda's back pain dvd or episodes, or perhaps Ultimate Stretch. My favorite toning workouts are the BSS2, the older BSS1, Stretch and Strength in Motion, and a smattering of CS episodes.

Essentrics is amazing. Its #1 goal is to rebalance the body...hitting all muscles, bones and fascia. So many other benefits. It's dynamic stretching that combines stretch and strength simultaneously. Strengthening in a lengthened position. Lots of circular movement in Essentrics because our body is meant to move that way with our ball and socket joints and amazing flexible spine. The movements not only stretch, strengthen, and tone....but also improve circulation, stretch and straighten fascia, and the pulling away from the body alleviates pain by decompressing joints.

Results? Well, depends on what you're wanting for results. I want to feel good in my body and be able to do what I want in life with ease and a big range of motion. I want to feel comfortable in my skin and in my clothing. A big thing with me is my workouts need to enhance my life and not wear me down. The workouts I did 10 years ago I can't do anymore....not without a lot of pain and seeing my chiro, MT, ibuprofen and a heating pad. There's no point to that kind of workout.

Ok....and so visible results. I have had 4 babies, am almost 51, and this is the slimmest I've been since having children. No perfect body here....but I feel good and I don't think I've lost anything in terms of fitness...endurance, physique, whatever.

Right now I'm teaching 3 Essentrics classes/week and do a few extras here and there. I walk, ski, enjoy Ellen Barrett and take an occasional yoga class.

I feel good.

jackiebadgeressentrics.simplesite.com

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-18, 07:48 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

I am thinking of getting the 8 dvd bundle. I love the idea of stretching the muscle and fascia along with toning. It comes out to $19 a dvd with free shipping.

Tags
classical stretch, essentrics, miranda esmonde-white, sahra esmonde-white, season 11