Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-17, 09:02 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
What do you suggest on dvd that is up to Pilates By Lisa? I am loving that kitty pic, btw Sleeping kitties are the best pictures!
Hi bubbles 76:
Answer to your question #1 - nothing that I've come accross on DVD, that compares to PBL. That's my opinion.
#2 - I agree with you. Basil is my soulmate. After this pix was taken I couldn't resist kissing him on the nose! Some would say gross, but i don't care. I love this cat and he loves me back!
Old 09-18-17, 07:26 AM  
Sandrine

Hi, Tina,
My overall favorite, go-to pilates dvd is one that you recently acquired --Mari Winsor's original 3 dvd set. This is a good kick-off to a rotation, imo, as she gives good form pointers and has a good, visible modifier. Even though I've had them as part of my schedule for years, I still feel that they offer strength and posture/balance gains when I do them with careful attention to form, as a good pilates w/o should. And having the option of 1 hour (accelerated w/o) or 20 minutes is a nice plus.

PS to Dana--I've always loved your avatar, too. Basil looks so soft--please give him a cat-hug from me!
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 07:35 AM  
alisoncooks

In general, I am not a fan of Pilates...but my go-to is the original Bun & Thigh Sculpting (Winsor). And, thanks to the recent threads, I now have the Power Sculpting with the band coming my way.

ETA: I also like Karen Voight's Total Body Training, which is primarily lower body (and longer than I prefer, these days).

I also have liked (but didn't keep for whatever reason):
Do More Pilates Standing
Pilates for Runners - Laura Tarbell - Niece Pecenka/Bea Wood
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 08:27 AM  
TinaT

I will definitely be looking for the original Winsor Buns & Thighs due to the high recommendation. I'm super excited for the 4 weeks I have planned starting next Monday.

the reason I'm asking about everyone's "go-to" is because I'm not doing just Pilates this next rotation. It's a blend of Pilates, Barre and Callanetics. So I want to make sure I'm choosing effective and motivating workouts from each method.

The time frame of working out is changing as well. From 30 - 45 min., down to 20 - 40 min. My body has been going hard for almost 32 weeks and it's telling me to change things up. So I'm getting away from the AWT for a while and trying 3 methods I've never taken seriously.

I will journal all of this and share at the end of week 36.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 08:37 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I can't speak to Pilates by Lisa as I don't do streaming either but there are effective and challenging pilates on dvd. As I've mentioned, I have seen good results and core strength with the dvds I've used and they get more challenging the more I do them and the stronger I get. HTH
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 10:02 AM  
dnna

I like whole body pilates workout that give me a cardio effect .
Keeping Fit Pilates with Andrea Metcalfe-50 minutes
Fusion pilates triple threat Jennifer Gianni-55 minutes-nice cardio/arm segments
Burn pilates weights and cardio Lisa Carsello- a very good cardio enhanced pilates workout
Mat Pilates Janice Lennard
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 10:58 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Hi bubbles 76:
Answer to your question #1 - nothing that I've come accross on DVD, that compares to PBL. That's my opinion.
#2 - I agree with you. Basil is my soulmate. After this pix was taken I couldn't resist kissing him on the nose! Some would say gross, but i don't care. I love this cat and he loves me back!
Definitely not gross! As I've said before, he should cat-model. He doesn't even look real, he is so cute!

Tina, I don't know if you've mentioned it in other threads, but do you have any experience in any of these new areas? That may help in making recommendations. I've dabbled in all the above methods, but never for any long period of time, as I've been afraid they would make me lose my strength. I think I may devote October to strictly bodyweight type focus -- pilates, barre, yoga, and cardio (gotta have my step aerobics ).
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 11:14 AM  
TinaT

Bubbles76 ~ I have dabbled in 2 out of the 3 methods. Callanetics is the only one I've never tried. Barre and Pilates I've jumped on bandwagons throughout the years and then fell off.

I'm really determined this time to try the 3 methods for 4 weeks. That set period of time goes by pretty quick, yet is enough to know if I'll yield any results. The big catch for me is variety and not too long at any one time. So mixing them up would help with motivation.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 07:14 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

My to long time standbys are Winsor Pilates Buns & Thighs, and Quick Fix Pilates Abs with Keli Roberts. I will never get rid of these DVDs.

MTV Pilates is another one that I liked for many years, but I no longer have it. The original 10 Minute Solution Pilates with Lara Hudson is good too.

A new favorite for me in recent years is Ana Caban, I like her personality and she is good about correct form. But I haven't used her DVDs long enough to really comment about results. I have 5 Day Fit Pilates which has a few of her programs, plus Cardio Pilates, beginner mat workout and Quick Start Pilates for Weight loss. She has others but I will probably just stick with these for now.

I also have Karen Voight's Total Body Pilates which has the ring workout and abs workout. I like this DVD but it's a bit long. Plus I don't know how I like working with the ring yet, I found it to be kind of a pain actually, maybe I just need to get used to it.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 08:39 PM  
anne

I like 10 minute solutions, Denise Austin Hit the Spot Pilates, and the Firm Sculpt and Tone Pilates. Also Ellen Barrett Fat Burning Pilates and her other dvds.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jules benson, pilates, trudie styler