Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-17, 05:50 PM  
donnamp

Pilates You Tube videos/channels are so hard to come by as compared to Yoga!

I like all of the ones mentioned already - there is also Upside Down Pilates which I think may be a TV series - they are shorter.

Why not give lower intensity a try? You can set a time frame in which to try it and then re-assess. I think it is telling that what you may be too much if you looked better when you were sick and not exercising!

You could also check out the threads on Debra Atkinson - for "mid-life" exercise. She has a website Flipping Fifty which has a lot of good information.

Best of luck!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-17, 10:19 AM  
FirmDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Yep-that was me! At 52, doing Pilates by Lisa daily, along with daily walking, I am at my leanest, strongest, most flexible and pain-free in years. I was afraid to take the leap too. I broke my pinky toe in July 2015. I decided to give Lisa a try as barre was bothering my hips and low back anyway...and was amazed at my results. My body proportions changed. I could go on and on, haha. I know others ha Ed said they need more and everyone is different but it works for me and is addicting.
This topic is so timely for me. I love, love, love Pilates but I'm terrified to give up my weights but I'm facing similar issues with more intense workouts. I've heard great things about PBL. I should just give it a try. One month. Right?

Question - for your daily walk, do you walk outside or do you use a treadmill? I love both but I also enjoy a Leslie or Jessica workout.
FirmDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-17, 12:14 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDeb View Post
This topic is so timely for me. I love, love, love Pilates but I'm terrified to give up my weights but I'm facing similar issues with more intense workouts. I've heard great things about PBL. I should just give it a try. One month. Right?

Question - for your daily walk, do you walk outside or do you use a treadmill? I love both but I also enjoy a Leslie or Jessica workout.
Hi Deb. Yes, I gave it a 1 month try. I had a broken toe anyway, so that made it easier. But I was FLOORED by the change in how my body looked. And I was modifying so many moves.

You could definitely do indoor walking. Those irritate my hip flexors. But, I have slight scoliosis and a leg a bit shorter than the other that bows out a wee bit so it may be my anatomy. I walk outside-1 to 2 miles a day. I also wear a pedometer to make sure I move more during my day.

I also had elbow tendinitis about 8 years ago. It took a year to really heal. It flared again with a weight rotation three years later. After another year of healing, I decided to not use weights over 5# anymore. I am a petite meso/gymnast build so that works great for me. And lisa does use hand weights and a band in some workouts.
Old 05-05-17, 12:43 PM  
donnamp

I really should take my own advice as well as yours and give it a try myself. I like Pilates and Yoga and Classical Stretch, but I always feel (mentally) they are not "enough" by themselves so I always try to incorporate other things and usually end up with aches and pains and a grumpy body/attitude. So, in spite of my giving the advice to just try it for a month, I haven't (yet), although I'm getting there. I guess it is a process.....

Donna
Old 05-05-17, 03:04 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slockhart View Post
I was sick for two weeks and couldn't work out, and I lost weight and one friend commented on how good I looked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I think it is telling that what you may be too much if you looked better when you were sick and not exercising!
Excuse my digression, but her friend's comment really says more about her friend's tastes than about whether she actually "looked better." It also doesn't say much about the exercise that she should be doing--or about whether having two weeks of illness and the resulting inactivity is actually a good thing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I've read multiple stories on VF and on other sites about remarks, intended to be compliments, given to people who had suffered illness, injury, and stress. I recently started a thread on the subject (Less-than-happy stories about "weight loss" remarks) that links to other pages. In particular, https://beautyredefined.org/when-you...harm-than-good has lots of women's stories and links to even more discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
You could also check out the threads on Debra Atkinson - for "mid-life" exercise. She has a website Flipping Fifty which has a lot of good information.
I was also thinking of her because she mentions things like adjusting workout frequency and rest time, things that don't necessarily require the most drastic changes in schedule.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-17, 05:32 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Yep-that was me! At 52, doing Pilates by Lisa daily, along with daily walking, I am at my leanest, strongest, most flexible and pain-free in years. I was afraid to take the leap too. I broke my pinky toe in July 2015. I decided to give Lisa a try as barre was bothering my hips and low back anyway...and was amazed at my results. My body proportions changed. I could go on and on, haha. I know others ha Ed said they need more and everyone is different but it works for me and is addicting.
I have tried Pilates repeatedly over the years, but it never stuck until this spring. I had been doing Maya Fiennes' Kundalini Yoga almost exclusively and felt a need to change things up, so I dusted off Ana Caban's Beginning Matwork--and after just one session, I felt 10 years younger! I really appreciated that side-effect, since I turned 70 this year. I just move more easily and freely and feel generally juicier. I do Pilates four days/week now (and kundalini yoga the other two, with one recovery day). Perhaps in another few weeks I'll be 20 years younger! Pilates may be the fountain of youth.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-17, 06:22 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
I have tried Pilates repeatedly over the years, but it never stuck until this spring. I had been doing Maya Fiennes' Kundalini Yoga almost exclusively and felt a need to change things up, so I dusted off Ana Caban's Beginning Matwork--and after just one session, I felt 10 years younger! I really appreciated that side-effect, since I turned 70 this year. I just move more easily and freely and feel generally juicier. I do Pilates four days/week now (and kundalini yoga the other two, with one recovery day). Perhaps in another few weeks I'll be 20 years younger! Pilates may be the fountain of youth.
It certainly is for me. That's great to hear. I think sometimes it's just finding the style, etc. that just clicks with you.
Old 05-05-17, 06:24 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Excuse my digression, but her friend's comment really says more about her friend's tastes than about whether she actually "looked better." It also doesn't say much about the exercise that she should be doing--or about whether having two weeks of illness and the resulting inactivity is actually a good thing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I've read multiple stories on VF and on other sites about remarks, intended to be compliments, given to people who had suffered illness, injury, and stress. I recently started a thread on the subject (Less-than-happy stories about "weight loss" remarks) that links to other pages. In particular, https://beautyredefined.org/when-you...harm-than-good has lots of women's stories and links to even more discussion.

I was also thinking of her because she mentions things like adjusting workout frequency and rest time, things that don't necessarily require the most drastic changes in schedule.
That is a good point, I think the original poster said that she observed that she looked drained from doing a lot of intense exercise and that the recovery that was forced upon her by being sick resulted in her looking less drained. I could be mistaken though

I think working out is so individual-specific and there is no one-size fits all. It is a lot of experimenting to find out what is enough without being too much. And there are personal tastes and preferences to consider, too. If you don't enjoy Pilates or yoga, or whatever, you aren't likely to stick with it.

And, you do raise a good point, oftentimes weight loss is considered ideal even if there is no need for a person to lose weight and even if the reason for the weight loss is not a happy one. Whenever I have lost significant amounts of weight it has been due to stress which is not good at all!!

Donna
Old 05-19-17, 12:40 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

I found this channel today

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...WoPyCksFf1V7kQ

Laura Firth - looks good from what I have seen so far!

Donna
Old 05-19-17, 02:39 PM  
slockhart

I took the plunge and signed up for PBL. I'm done my 10 day free trial and am continuing on. I do love it. We'll see how long it keeps my interest. And I'm discovering that Pilates is not easy, so that helps with missing the intensity workouts. I do feel a lot better, and I'm sleeping better! I feel "tighter" too

Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates, youtube pilates