Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-16, 07:13 AM  
donnamp

Hi Carol,

Good luck at your Dr's and getting answers to this - it could be the statin - at least if it is - it is hopefully an easy fix - either discontinue if that is an option or try another brand or try the CoQ10. My DH is on a statin and takes CoQ10 and has had no muscle pain. My Dad couldn't take statins at all due to muscle pain. I think everyone is different.

I hope you get some good answers and solutions!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 08:41 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg39 View Post
It is suggested taking Co Q10 if you take a statin drug. I take it in the morning and the statin in the evening. I have had problems with my statin drugs in that they cause tremendous soreness in my body. Crestor seems to be ok. If you think it's your statin you can always try another brand. Trial and error. I would love not to take a statin but my cholesterol is sky high due to family history and another medicine I'm taking, plus my mother had a massive stroke at age 57 so I'm not taking any chances.

Good luck with your doctor on Monday!
I am taking Co Q10 for that very reason. I am on statins for basically the same reasons - a terrible family history of cholesterol, heart and stroke issues.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 08:42 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi Carol,

Good luck at your Dr's and getting answers to this - it could be the statin - at least if it is - it is hopefully an easy fix - either discontinue if that is an option or try another brand or try the CoQ10. My DH is on a statin and takes CoQ10 and has had no muscle pain. My Dad couldn't take statins at all due to muscle pain. I think everyone is different.

I hope you get some good answers and solutions!

Donna
Thanks, Donna! I hope it's something simple too. I'm tired of hurting all the time.

Carol
Old 06-12-16, 08:50 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Oh my, I do take a statin, but have been on it for years. Hmm?

Carol
I know someone who was so stiff and sore they couldn't bend comfortably at the knees. It was constant. He was on a statin. As soon as he stopped the statin, the joint soreness went away.

I'm not sure if I am explaining it exactly technically correct, but something about the drug that is trying to remove cholesterol from your body, is also causing the lubrication in your joints to dry up.
Old 06-12-16, 09:25 AM  
little bird

Quote:
Oh my, I do take a statin, but have been on it for years. Hmm?

Carol
Get in touch with your doctor immediately. Muscle soreness is reason to discontinue the medication. Muscle soreness could be a sign of a more serious side effect called rhabdomyolysis.
Old 06-12-16, 12:23 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bird View Post
Get in touch with your doctor immediately. Muscle soreness is reason to discontinue the medication. Muscle soreness could be a sign of a more serious side effect called rhabdomyolysis.
I have an appointment in the morning with my Family Practice doctor. My cardiologist put me on it (the Lipitor) years ago, but I don't see him again until next month. I'm sure my doctor will do blood work, etc., tomorrow and am guessing she'll take me off of it for now. I've already taken myself off of it - I stopped taking it yesterday.

Carol
Old 06-12-16, 12:59 PM  
little bird

Quote:
I have an appointment in the morning with my Family Practice doctor. My cardiologist put me on it (the Lipitor) years ago, but I don't see him again until next month. I'm sure my doctor will do blood work, etc., tomorrow and am guessing she'll take me off of it for now. I've already taken myself off of it - I stopped taking it yesterday.

Carol
Great! Do some research before you go, there are alternatives to the statins.
Old 06-13-16, 10:50 AM  
meg39

Quote:

Carol
I could not tolerate Lipitor - it made my hips hurt. I've tried several different ones, but the only one I can tolerate is Crestor. My DH has taken Lipitor for years with no problem, and my sister takes a different one and has no side effects. It's different for everyone I guess.

I hope you get some good ideas from your dr. Let us know!
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-16, 12:43 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Thanks, ladies! My doctor thinks it is the Lipitor and wants me off of it for at least the next month. She will do blood work at the end of this month to see what things look like. She said I should start to feel better soon, but it could take a while before I get back to normal. Interestingly, there are a couple of studies out that show that Lipitor causes women more problems than it does men; apparently it just isn't that well tolerated by women.

She said she'd like to have me completely off of any kind of statin drug for at least 3 months before trying a different drug. Her best case scenario would be to just not have me on one at all and watch my blood work closely for a few months to see how badly I really need it. I'm sure the cardiologist will not be pleased next month when I see him...all the more reason to keep working on my weight loss before then.

Carol
Old 06-13-16, 02:33 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I'm glad to hear you're off the Lipitor. That's the one my friend was taking that made him hurt so badly. It wasn't very long at all after he quit taking it that he noticed a vast improvement.

Hope you are better soon!!

Tags
cholesterol, osteoarthritis