Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-16, 02:25 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoko View Post
Thanks ladies for your help, I will keep my workouts for now.

I will look into Strong Knees too, is it the Gaiam DVD? I might also subscribe to Essentrics, I saw a lot of praise in here, is it good for osteoarthritis? And what dvds are good for upper body, preferably sitting only?
You can adapt almost any upper body workout to being seated. You just have to be creative.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 02:29 PM  
dbclark44

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoko View Post
Thanks ladies for your help, I will keep my workouts for now.

I will look into Strong Knees too, is it the Gaiam DVD? I might also subscribe to Essentrics, I saw a lot of praise in here, is it good for osteoarthritis? And what dvds are good for upper body, preferably sitting only?
You can pretty much take any upper body workout and do the moves sitting. As long as you know what muscle is being worked you can work the same muscle sitting in a chair. You may have to sit on the edge or catty corner of the chair in order to avoid the weights hitting the chair seat. Chest presses and flies can be done off your step from the lying position if it doesn't bother you too much to sit down on it and get up. Otherwise you may have to avoid those moves for now unless you have a weight bench which sits higher than a step that you can use. I find my knees hurt too much getting up and down off the step for these moves. I have a weight bench that I use which can go flat or incline and has a holder for the bb so I have the option to use dbs or the bb for those exercises.

I've been dealing with OA in my knees for the last 6 years when I tore my meniscus and had surgery to repair it. I believe he took out too much cartilage because my knee has never been the same since. I now have bone on bone arthritis and my ortho says I'm a prime candidate for knee replacement. But they only bother me occasionally. I started walking last year 5-6 miles throughout the day and it's making a big difference in my pain level. I also try and avoid stairs as much as I can and come down the stairs backwards which feels so much better on my knees than frontwards. When I walk in the park, I'll walk down the hills backwards as long as it's safe to do so. Sure feels better on my knees. I'm only 57 and have been putting off knee surgery, but may decide to do it before I retire in 3 years to take advantage of my job's insurance.

I didn't give up any of my DVDs and Cathe is my primary instructor. I just modify her moves to suit my limitations and she's still working for me. Like most said, I do lunges and squats but keep them shallow and table work on the floor is out for me. I do it from a standing bent over position or from a standing position or on my back I'll do leg moves.

Good luck with adjusting your limitations to continue working out. It can be done, you just have to be creative to continue on.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 03:01 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Another OA knee sufferer here too. I had ACL reconstruction in 2006 and that knee has given me grief off and on from that point.

But I was diagnosed 2-3 years ago with OA when I did step ups onto a high surface and my knee swelled up like a balloon and I had an MRI done. The OS suggested that I keep the surrounding muscles strong and to limit any movements that I know aggravate my knee.

So now I sub or modify the following moves whenever they come up in a workout: burpees, mountain climbers, step ups on a surface higher than 12-14", and I do low impact jumping jacks (never "regular" jumping jacks). I've learned that over extending that knee puts too much pressure on it and it swells and gets stiff.

It was probably a certain exercise move that caused the swelling. You might be able to figure out what it was if it happens again (which it did for me when I did any of the above mentioned moves). Ugh.

All that to say, I understand. Find workouts that you enjoy that don't put stress on your knee for now until it heals and the swelling goes down. Then you can slowly build back your strength and add low impact cardio to start.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4 system, knee pain, knee pain cure, knees, lunge-free, osteoarthritis, turnout ballet move