Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-15, 07:26 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I've spoken to several instructors at fitness conferences who admit they read VF regularly - or did at the time anyway. Others said they were 'afraid to'. I think it's admirable of them to want to know what their customers are saying about them so they can provide a better product. It is not admirable, however, to contact VFers in this way.

I remember when Terri Walsh used to post here years ago as a regular VFer. Lisa Kay posted a few times, too.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 08:42 AM  
mle777

I adore the concept of Buti, but wouldn't be surprised if it was Bizzie. She's left a sour taste in my mouth multiple times over the year. She used to spend quite a bit of time trashing Tracy Anderson. I've never been a fan of instructors trashing other instructors. It's like the people who feel they have to tear other people down in order to build themselves up. Then when Beachbody's Piyo came out, she went off on Facebook about how Chalene stole the idea of Piyo from the Buti workouts and wasn't giving her credit. Um, if memory serves, Chalene created Piyo years before Buti came out. Again, I really like Buti, but Bizzie's questionable decisions over the years have made it hard to support it.

I hope that it wasn't her that contacted Lora, but if it was, it wouldn't surprise me...

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 09:11 AM  
Eibhinn

With the risk of continuing the pile-on that defeats Lorajc's entire intention from wanting this thread discontinued...... I read the response not as indicating mean harassment. Instead I got the impression that some instructor doing online classes using music not licensed properly sent a private message asking if maybe this thread could be removed to avoid drawing attention to them and the fact that they use much better music than other instructors because they aren't following the same rules as everyone else. Which I can understand because the rules as they stand are pretty dumb.

Another example of the Streisand effect, no doubt, because if this thread hadn't started to show signs of mysterious intrigue, it probably wouldn't have garnered half as many responses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 09:21 AM  
lorajc

I just want to poke my head in here to comment only about the thread content, not the instructor. Wendy and I have spoken. I don't want to say anything g else. I feel I said enough.

However, in regard to this subject, I can't stop thinking about CIA and their music. How ever did the afford the top hits they played in their music on DVD? I used to love CIA. I've missed them.

Deleted...I'm finished responding here....my foot I'm mouth problem just keeps getting worse....I didn't mean for that to come out so negaztively.....so ill zip it.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 09:29 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post

I really think the music industry needs to just get off their self righteous horse, open their minds and realize the truth of the matter, which is that this great exposure for them....they are dumb butts.
talent and common sense are two very different things

or as the dean of my MFA program said, 'sometimes you just have to admit that your colleague is a talented little weasel.'

(this was said about poets not musicians)
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 09:41 AM  
Messe

Quote:
I really think the music industry needs to just get off their self righteous horse, open their minds and realize the truth of the matter, which is that this great exposure for them....they are dumb butts.
With all due respect, I don't think protecting the rights of musicians to earn a living from their music is self righteous, nor do I think they deserve to be called "dumb butts" for it. What I do think is dumb (and deceitful and dishonest) is for instructors or anyone else to try to get away with using music without paying for the right to use it.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 09:47 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
I just want to poke my head in here to comment only about the thread content, not the instructor. Wendy and I have spoken. I don't want to say anything g else. I feel I said enough.

However, in regard to this subject, I can't stop thinking about CIA and their music. How ever did the afford the top hits they played in their music on DVD? I used to love CIA. I've missed them.

Another instructor with good music is Jessica Smith and i don't know if it was mentioned here or not but someone said that she has been so called tagged on YouTube for some of her music.

That's funny, I remember people complaining about CIA's music all the time, especially when they used pop hits! I really liked the music from their 2K and 2100 series (I gotta get around to converting them from tapes to video files, before they disintegrate) but others complained of how they were sick of hearing songs by TLC or Madonna from the radio. So CIA switched to using mostly generic music for the rest of their output.

Cathe has been all over the place with music too, and there's been a lot of discussion on her forum about the cost of it. I personally like her "Weird Al" versions of hits better than the generic music used for STS, Low Impact, etc. but many other disagree. Again there's no pleasing everyone.

I guess the best all around solution would be to have a "Music Off, Voice Only" option on DVDs so everyone can play their own music.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-15, 09:53 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
CIA and other instructors use Dynamix or other companies like that. They mix music to blend one song into another. However, the songs are covers and not the original artists. They probably can only use certain songs too. I know that singing shows like The Voice and American Idol need to get their songs cleared before one of the contestants sings a song.
Old 05-12-15, 09:55 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
With all due respect, I don't think protecting the rights of musicians to earn a living from their music is self righteous, nor do I think they deserve to be called "dumb butts" for it. What I do think is dumb (and deceitful and dishonest) is for instructors or anyone else to try to get away with using music without paying for the right to use it.
Martha, ITA with your post.
Old 05-12-15, 09:55 AM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
I agree as well.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music, terri walsh