Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-14, 10:55 AM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
Kristen Kagen's Step This Way.
Kristen's first Step This Way must have been produced in very limited numbers. I was never able to find a copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
Other than Cathe's Party Rockin' Steps (which are both great), I am not aware of any recent step releases, nor am I aware of any upcoming ones either. I heard a rumour quite a while ago that Seasun might be filming, but haven't heard a more recent update.
Season's workouts split in two categories for me, doable and undoable. Straight Up Step and Steppin' Up are favorites of mine. I had to let go of The Next Step and ZStep, there was too much of a learning curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I've done most of Cathe but think her step is a little on the boring side. I wish there was more out there.
Cathe went through a phase after Low Max of being very unimaginative in her step workouts. I think she got her mojo back with the Party Rockin' Step workouts, although her cueing is horrendous. I did Power Max a couple of weeks ago, a workout I hadn't done in years - and her cueing was so good I did the entire thing without any blunders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
and Amy Bento, though I have yet to master any of hers all the way through.
I'm the same way with Amy. Usually combos 1 and 2 are doable, so I'll resign myself to using her workouts for "short" workouts. I didn't even bother to get ASC 5 because of the reviews.

I'm very middle-of-the-road with the complexity of step workouts. I was sorry to say goodbye to Petra with her Last Step workout. Gay Gasper was another one who could give me a good workout without being overly complex. Her last release was with her alone, no participants, it was depressing. I think the demise of step started when CIA stopped making their own workouts. It was a great platform for new instructors. So many were one-hit wonders (Diedre Morris, Rhonda Cook, etc). They might have made more if CIA was still around.

I have about 25 DVDs that are step. I recently set up a TV in my detached garage and do step there. The neighbors might give me a side-eye, but who cares. It's so much easier to move the car than move furniture, and I have all sorts of space out there. Now that the rains have come (Yay! We needed it!), it's a little difficult because the car tracks water and debris in. And there's no heat. So it might be Spring before I can do step again.
Old 12-10-14, 11:19 AM  
Irisg1

Another Gymbox Stepper. I was never a step lover, until I discovered the variety of step workouts on the Gymbox. I do not like anything with a lot of choreography, so I go for the intermediate work-outs. Stepping is great cardio. Plus it works the legs, so even better.
Old 12-10-14, 03:14 PM  
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
I'm the same way with Amy. Usually combos 1 and 2 are doable, so I'll resign myself to using her workouts for "short" workouts. I didn't even bother to get ASC 5 because of the reviews.
I have to admit I have managed to get all of Amy's first 4 ASCs but 5, well, I'm still haven't mastered it. I got the first combo down and the rest of it just scares me. It is damn near undoable - and she doesn't really help matters much. The preview section is not a help. It is quite frustrating.

I still found Cathe's Party Rockin Step a little bit of a let down but better than her previous step release. I'm just sick of her format especially with the blasts. I don't want to do a blast anymore in the middle of my step. I just want to step. No more blasts, I'm just plain old sick of them. Why can't she just wrap it up by putting all the combos together instead of combo, blast, combo, blast, combo blast.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 03:18 PM  
yttap

Yes, I do!! Stepping is fun! I still do the workouts from 10 or 20 years ago. I hate the type of workouts that are popular right now - boot camp and high intensity circuits. Yuk! They all have the dread factor. I don't care if they are more effective, the most effective workout is the one you DO.
yttap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 04:22 PM  
Andrea12

I still enjoy step. Disappointed that there aren't many new step workouts out anymore. The other day I did an older one- Diedra Morris - CIA dvd and it was a lot of fun (good music too). I like Christi Taylor's Totally Cool Step 2 and one of Seasun's (unsure which one?) uses 2 steps- a fun add on and not too difficult to learn. I agree with ASC5. I tried it when I first got it but was easily discouraged- even with the tutorial.
Andrea12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 05:57 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea12 View Post
The other day I did an older one- Diedra Morris - CIA dvd and it was a lot of fun (good music too).
I did that one today. It has got to be one of my all time favourites. The music is good and the routine is really fun.

Maybe we need to start lobbying our favourite instructors to put out some new step DVDs. Step is not only fun, but a great calorie burner too. Way more effective for that than a lot of stuff that's more popular now.
Old 12-10-14, 06:57 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I have to admit I have managed to get all of Amy's first 4 ASCs but 5, well, I'm still haven't mastered it. I got the first combo down and the rest of it just scares me. It is damn near undoable - and she doesn't really help matters much. The preview section is not a help. It is quite frustrating.
This just tickles me so much, lol!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 06:57 PM  
soulflower

Have you tried FitnessGlo?

I am not really a fan of step workouts, but I've been eyeing Fitnessglo for other types of workout. They have 20+ step workouts ranging in intensity and duration. Additionally, they regularly add (all types) of workouts.
soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 07:31 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I don't step much anymore, but I always loved Cathe's Rhythmic Step. I also like the old Reebok step videos. Simple! Easy to follow.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 07:44 PM  
anne

I love step and step several times a week, mostly at the gym. My favorite vhs and dvds are Kari Anderson, Petra Kolber, Jane Fonda, and even Kim Kardashian's step tape. I also like Kathy Smith Power Step. I haven't done the tapes in a long time, except for Kari Anderson's. I also do not like HIIT workouts and also wish my gym offered a few more traditional cardio dance classes like Jane Fonda's, Kari Anderson's, Karen Voight's, older ones. But I love step and am glad that my gym still offers a good number of step classes.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite step, keli roberts, step, step aerobics