Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-14, 10:04 AM  
Libby

Self-help for osteoarthritis in the knee

I am having issues with osteoarthritis in the knee and started seeing a chiropractor for it but mainly she has just hooked up machines to my knee that are supposed to promote healing. For those who also deal with this, what have you found to help with this problem? Any particular exercises/dvds? Any special knee wraps/supports? Something that would support my knee as I live in a two-story house. Any exercises that helped and any to avoid?

I'm in my 50's and have been exercising for years and it's discouraging to have to continually modify, modify, modify! I want to keep doing what I've always done but I know that's not going to be possible. I love high impact cardio but I know that's out for now. I'm doing my best to stay active and not get discouraged. My sister that doesn't exercise keeps telling me to stop. She doesn't have all these issues so she always blames it all on my having exercised for years. But I've never been to a doc that said to stop. They just say to modify.

Any ideas/suggestions of self-help would be greatly appreciated! Just wondering also if I should just go to an orthopedic surgeon and skip the chiropractor. She was highly recommended to me by lots of people.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-14, 12:12 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

I am 53 and have arthritic knees. They were diagnosed about 4 years ago. Since that time I have pretty much rehabbed them by working on my posterior chain, primarily using kettlebell workouts. I also work hard to keep my quads from getting too tight. I'm able to do a fair amount of impact at this point, and a variety of workouts. Anything that is too quad-centric makes my knees hurt.

Kettlebell Kickboxing's Body Series is not super popular around here, but it did more for my knees than any other set of workouts. Currently I'm doing the combo rotation that was included with the new set of 7Day Lean workouts, also from Kettlebell Kickboxing, and my knees feel great (my shoulders do, too, but I digress).

Hope that helps. I was so dismayed when I was first diagnosed, but it hasn't been nearly as debilitating as I feared.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-14, 01:00 PM  
CherylZ

I'm 51 and a few months ago started having knee pain. I'm an avid hiker and this was quite distressing to me, to have inflammation and pain after my hikes. I did not go to the doctor for a diagnosis, but just started researching on my own (my sister calls me "Dr. Google") and found this DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Knees-C.../dp/B001D261TS

It is AWESOME! I truly feel I rehabilitated my knee. I also started doing T-Tapp and added another DVD into my rotation, the Vayalux Knee Exercise Program.

But I think the Strong Knees DVD is the best one - it explains why each exercise is beneficial and why stretching is so important.

I just hiked Mt. Whitney last week with NO knee issues. And a month or so prior, I had a lot of knee inflammation. I am faithful with the Strong Knees DVD and will definitely be keeping up with that.

If you decide to try that DVD, I hope it helps you as much as it did me.
CherylZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-14, 04:13 PM  
Libby

Strong Knees

I have Strong Knees and have been doing it for a few years now. It does help when I do it. I'm still having knee issues though so maybe I need to do it daily for awhile.

Thanks!

Libby
Old 09-17-14, 04:20 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I'm 53, my knees (especially the left) have been crappy for years and I'm now dealing with a baker's cyst behind one, probably due to arthritis. High impact is out and I modify quite a bit. Actually, Pilates looks better and better to me!

It is what it is.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-14, 04:25 PM  
Libby

LuckyStar

I had a baker's cyst behind my left knee (not the one bothering me now) about 1 1/2 years ago. Had a CT scan that showed a small meniscus tear but I did not have surgery. Just did rehab tapes at home and took it easy for awhile and the cyst went away and that knee is fine. Now my right knee is hurting but hopefully I'll get that back to normal soon. But since I'm 55 I still may have to modify.
Old 09-17-14, 04:54 PM  
MsThistlebottom

I have mild OA in both knees and have found three things to be extremely helpful: (1) DDP yoga, (2) rebounding, and (3) dietary changes to decrease inflammation.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-14, 05:30 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
I had a baker's cyst behind my left knee (not the one bothering me now) about 1 1/2 years ago. Had a CT scan that showed a small meniscus tear but I did not have surgery. Just did rehab tapes at home and took it easy for awhile and the cyst went away and that knee is fine. Now my right knee is hurting but hopefully I'll get that back to normal soon. But since I'm 55 I still may have to modify.
Thanks for sharing your experience Libby, that's so helpful! I have an appt w/dr to explore this further but I'm thinking rehab @ home is the way to go too. May I ask which tapes you used and how long the process lasted? Thanks again.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-14, 05:41 PM  
Libby

Gina

I'm sure I did Strong Knees and JB Burns Rehab tape. Can't remember what else I did or how long it took but that knee isn't bothering me at all now. I also wear a Mueller Knee Neoprene knee sleeve which helped to support my knee and keep it warm while I was working out.
Old 09-17-14, 05:46 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

My right knee is the one that kicks up a fuss. My chiropractor doesn't use machines. After about a year of knee pain, she told me she had done all she could for my knee and recommended an orthopedist. He said surgery had only a 50-50 chance of improving my knee, so I said no to that. I have chondrocalcinosis, nicknamed pseudo-gout; knee cartilage is full of crystallized calcium deposits. I ice my knee after every workout and dance evening. The orthopedist has treated me with injections of synovisc, which I get about twice a year. I'll be 68 in a few days, and still work out, avoiding high impact; I also contradance on weekends. I wear a knee brace for exercise and dancing, the Mueller Max Knee Strap.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ganglion cyst, osteoarthritis