Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-14, 07:17 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I haven't stepped in maybe 20 years but I used to absolutely love it and I agree it does get the heartrate going more than fast walking, even with hills. Now I'm missing some step and considering trying it again. I used to like basic, simple choreography like Charlene Prickett.

I looked over Lucky Star's list since you also like basic choreography. Who is the most like Charlene, would you say? Debra Mazda, Gilad? Any others? TIA
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 07:23 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I had Marcus' "Topless Blocks" and traded it. I loved him but just could not get the hang of the choreography. I could get complex choreo in a snap in a live class with the instructor facing away, like the class, toward the mirror. I cannot get complex choreo from a video with the teacher facing me, or in a class if the teacher is facing me.

When I stepped a lot at home I preferred Kari.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 09:25 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Sara I find it interesting you brought this topic up, because I recently pulled out all my step videos and am slowly getting used to them again. Never liked step much - because for me it's HARD! - but it gets me sweating and my heart racing like fast walking just can't.

My step videos are super easy, no-choreography-required ones. Still tough to me, lol.
Ooh, I love no-choreography-required step. What are your favorites?

ETA: Nevermind! I see you posted them.
Old 08-19-14, 09:30 AM  
antbuko

I used to have Topless Blocks. Marcus is an excellent cuer (sp?), but I still prefer less complex choreography. I think I will try some of Charlene's It Figures, if I even have any, lol. I've always loved her step work outs.
Old 08-19-14, 09:36 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I looked over Lucky Star's list since you also like basic choreography. Who is the most like Charlene, would you say? Debra Mazda, Gilad? Any others? TIA
Hmm, I have some Charlene step that I've never tried, so at a guess I'd say maybe Gin Miller, as her step videos are uncomplicated but are available at various paces and intensities. The Kathy Kaehler Workout Class I mentioned is simple but moves along quite briskly too, more so than some of the others I've listed. Gilad's Step does as well. (Debra Mazda's is more beginner with lots of walking inbetween.)
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 02:57 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

I still love step! My favorites include:

Kari Anderson: United Steps, Body Tech & Classic Step

KCM: Cardio Blast & Step Boxing

Cathe: Step Blast, Low Impact Step & Basic Step

Christi Taylor: Mission Possible & Totally Cool Step

Gin Miller: Simply Step & Intense Moves

Most of these I still do on the 6" step. A few (like Step Blast) I do on the floor and a few (like Simply Step) I do part on the floor, part on the step. Whatever feels right on that day...

I did Intense Moves yesterday to celebrate my recent birthday. I call it my "Birthday Workout" because I consider it a good sign that I can still do it year after year (see my signature quote taken from Gin at the end of IM)! Can still do that one on 6", but boy, did I have to tone down a lot of those "resting" moves, ha!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 03:13 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I'm relatively new to step workouts, my first try was Cathe, and felt totally lost!

My favorite is:

KCM - 30MTF Step Boxing, both workouts are so much FUN! And I was able to pick the choreo up on the first try. I've to get her Cardio Blast dvd at some point!

I also have Totally Cool Step 2, and althought it looks like a fun workout, I haven't been able to get the choreography down. So, I guess complex choreo are not for me.

I use my Workout 180 Step which is 8 inches high (I can't adjust it).

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 03:40 PM  
Maryan, Paris
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I am a wuss. I use *no* risers. The long step bench I have is the defunct Super Step which is 5 inches without any risers:

When that feels too high (if a workouts moves too fast for instance), then I go down to my shorter Home Step without risers, which is 4 inches.

My step videos on DVD
:
Kathy Smith: Step Workout
Kathy Smith: Great Buns and Thighs
Debra Mazda: Let's Get Stepping
Gin Miller: Reebok Step - The Video
Cathe: Basic Step
Cathe: Body Fusion
Cher: A New Attitude
Gilad: Step Aerobics
Gilad: Step and Tone
Kelly Coffey-Meyer: Cardio Blast
Kathy Kaehler: Workout Class

On VHS:
Donna Richardson: Step & Awesome Abs
Weight Watchers: Step and Sculpt
Keli Roberts: Ultimate Step
Keli Roberts: Total Body Circuit Training
Jane Fonda: Step Aerobic & Adominal Workout

I am old school, all the way.
These are great choices, I really like basic step workouts and cannot stand complicated choreography.
Maryan, Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 03:52 PM  
PennyK

I bought StepTonic along with SculptTonic and DanceTonic from Mary a while back because i thought they looked fun, but they all are in the pile of undones.
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 04:21 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy J View Post
I did Intense Moves yesterday to celebrate my recent birthday. I call it my "Birthday Workout" because I consider it a good sign that I can still do it year after year (see my signature quote taken from Gin at the end of IM)! Can still do that one on 6", but boy, did I have to tone down a lot of those "resting" moves, ha!
Dorothy, happy belated birthday. That workout always floors me, and yet somehow Gin manages to cue effortlessly throughout. That move where Gin crosses her legs in the air (that someone here once called a 'demented ballerina') should not be humanly possible. Good for you!

AsSweetAsSugar, don't feel you have to give up on complex choreography completely. Christi Taylor is very dancy, and, as much as I like her, Cathe isn't always the best cuer. I recommend Kari Anderson as a good introduction to more complex step. She always has a base move that you can stick with, and then you can gradually add in some of her turns and spins when you're ready. She even encourages this, and says things like 'as you can see, we're all together'.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step, step aerobics