Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-14, 01:36 PM  
AZY
VF Supporter

Sorry Sheepla, I know how you feel. I have had knee problems since early teen years and multiple surgeries - the last one was over 10 years ago for a 'patellar realignment', but there was so much arthritis he basically stripped out the cartilage so one knee is bone on bone for a long time...

I am 54 and quit running a long time ago, but I am still able to do vigorous workouts. I have found really working on the posterior chain has alleviated a lot of chronic pain - started with BJ Gaddour workouts, Mike Robertson's bulletproof knees and now have been going through Anthony DiLuglio's kettlebell clinic workouts and the new Providence, just taking my time. These have made a huge difference, and also to maintain flexibility and foam/ball work on areas away from the knee as well - the Jill Miller kneehab dvd has been helpful for that....

There were times of deep depression when I felt like I had been cheated with my miserable knee joints, but don't give up - you will find what works for you over time and maybe you will be able to keep up with a little running now and then - same for me with step type workouts - don't do them often, but I enjoy them when I do, and don't feel that I am being abusive either.

Best wishes,
Anne Y
AZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 03:04 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I was also diagnosed with osteoarthritis about 2 years ago. I was trying out a new "crossfit like" gym in my area. They had us doing alot of high impact movements on a carpet (no padding) covered floor. My knee swelled up and I had trouble bending it. I went to see an OS who had me do an MRI. When the results came back I was shocked when he told me osteoarthritis because I hadn't really had any symptoms other than some stiffness which I attributed to an ACL reconstruction done on my knee several years ago.

Anyway, I'm not bone on bone yet so the severity isn't crucial yet. He said my first option would be shots to pump up the padding and when that stopped working, my last resort will be a knee replacement. I was crushed! I thought my running days were over for sure but his opinion was that as long as I can run pain free, then keep running. When it starts to bother my knee, stop and find another activity. He said the worst thing I can do is stop doing any exercise.

So, I've continued running. I just completed another 50 miler a week and a half ago and I'm prepping for a 50k Labor Day weekend. I remain pain free when I run and lift weights but I know what type of movements aggravate me knee so I avoid them (jumping jacks, burpees with a jump, etc.).

Hope that helps, I feel your pain, really I do. I know my running days may be limited at some point but for now I'll just keep doing it for as long as I can.

Kathy
Kathy! You made my day!

I'm actually okay with giving up distance running. If I could run 4-5 miles 4-5 times a week, I'd be so happy. Once I get through this bout of inflammation, I guess I'll have to let pain be my guide.
Old 08-01-14, 07:53 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
Kathy G, did you ever have the shots, or has your knee been okay so far without them? I'm just curious, because I just had lateral meniscus surgery for a large tear, and I was told I have some arthritis, but that having less of a meniscus will give me even more of a chance of the arthritis progressing faster, since I'll have less cushioning of that knee. It's pretty scary hearing this stuff, right?

Sue
Sue, I haven't had any shots so far. After the swelling went down, I was fine but I really have to avoid movements that aggravate it. I've learned to modify anything that I know will just cause a flare up (jumping jacks, burpees, power scissors, etc).

I had ACL reconstruction on that knee in 2006 so I also have less of a meniscus and a graft. The OS said osteoarthritis is common in these situations because the knee has been compromised already. Ugh, yep the thought of not being able to run or workout scares me more than anything! I've been doing it for almost 31 years.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 07:57 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
Kathy! You made my day!

I'm actually okay with giving up distance running. If I could run 4-5 miles 4-5 times a week, I'd be so happy. Once I get through this bout of inflammation, I guess I'll have to let pain be my guide.
I'm glad you feel better! If running doesn't cause pain or swelling then continue (with your doctors permission of course). I've actually started run/walking sometimes because I want to avoid any issues in the near future. You still get the "rush" from running but you give your knee a break too. I do a run 3 minutes, walk a minute....or run 2 minutes, walk 30 seconds. When you do any distance runs or races, this seems to be the norm for most people anyway.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 10:19 AM  
andtckrtoo

I, too, have arthritis in the knee because of a meniscus tear from doing Zumba. I still Zumba. My doctor is really cool. He said I could do anything as long as it doesn't hurt too much. I do run occasionally, but I have to be very careful about icing after, etc. He also was very specific about making sure I do lift and lift heavy - saying that building the muscles around my knee is critical for stabilization.

Oddly, I find things like Piyo and Buti inflame my knee and really hurt more than most of the other stuff, even running. But I can easily handle back and forth movement, it's the lateral stuff that hurts me. I also have to be careful with booty circles in Zumba. And I wear a brace when I do pretty much anything but spin.
Old 08-01-14, 08:36 PM  
Genevieve M

Hey Kids,

I have had many arthroscopies on my knees and 5 years ago, had a patello-femoral joint resurfacing on one knee, since there was no cartilage left. I am doing great with that knee.

Have been having the injections (Euflexxa, which is similar to Synvisc and Hyalgan) on the other knee for the past two years. It has worked great, but now, my insurer, BCBS, is no longer covering any of these formularies to treat osteoarthritis. In addition, my orthopedic surgeon is no longer doing the injections.

This has really thrown me into a tailspin. I love my dr,, so am casting about for someone new who still does this procedure. Now, it must be out of pocket for me ($900), or via a flexible spending account.

There are many ways to treat osteo in the knees. Glucosamine/chondroitin has given me extra miles on these joints. I am pretty active- bike riding, doing Bob Harper/Cathe and lifting fairly heavy.

Hope that info helps. I am looking for a ortho who does the injections with the help of imaging. This supposedly makes for a more accurate aim of the material. If anyone knows of such a dr. in Boston, give me a yell. Thanks.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 07:21 AM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
It has worked great, but now, my insurer is no longer covering any of these formularies to treat osteoarthritis. In addition, my orthopedic surgeon is no longer doing the injections.
There are many ways to treat osteo in the knees. Glucosamine/chondroitin has given me extra miles on these joints. I am pretty active- bike riding, doing Bob Harper/Cathe and lifting fairly heavy.
Would lasertherapy be an option? My vet is about to have knee replacement in October, and she swears by cold laser treatments to bring down swelling, pain, and inflammation. It won't keep the arthritis from progressing, but it's extremely effective for maintaining pain-free mobility... and it's not expensive. I know my chiropractor's office offers it.
Old 08-02-14, 07:41 AM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

I've been told by several orthos that Synvisc and the like work for about 50% of their patients. It works for me and lasts a few years but I'm still just postponing a new knee. I have BCBS and am now worried that they don't cover it anymore (as stated above).
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 03:37 PM  
cmiyachi

Very interesting thread. I'm a marathoner running and perhaps someday I will have these problems. When and if they do come, I will continue with the workouts I *can* do whatever they may be.

I had a good friend, a yoga teacher, who had severe arthritis in her hip. She could barely walk and needed a hip replacement. She ended up pool walking and it gave her tremendous relief as well as keeping her active. That is pretty much what I would do. She finally got a hip replacement and is back almost entirely to her old self.

I also had another good friend, also a yoga teacher, who got cancer, and during her treatments, she was so wiped the only pose she could do is savasana. She started with only that for a month or longer and then 1/2 uttanasana (forward bend on using the wall). She very slowly progressed to doing more.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bj gaddour, bulletproof knees, knee rehabilitation, kneehab, knees, osteoarthritis