Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-13, 08:39 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
They're not trash-talking each other. They absolutely were slamming TA. See the picture posted.
Yes, they are. Sorry that my initial post was confusing in that regard. It is not so much the object of the slamming that I find disconcerting, it's the practice itself. Seems so petty.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 08:41 AM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I do think they were bashing TA and not each other. I also don't like it when instructors talk trash about each other, even if I may agree (privately) with some of the sentiments. It's unprofessional IMO.

HOWEVER, I strongly disagree with the idea that only pleasant comments should be made about instructors on this forum. It is completely appropriate IMHO for posters here to post that they don't like a particular workout/method/instructor as long as it is respectful. What's the point of even having a consumer forum if you can't voice your comments, whether positive or negative? I come here for people's opinions, whether they show warts or are a shower of flowers and rainbows.

I don't think anyone minds respectful criticism of a workout here at VF. What gets really tedious is the implication that anyone who uses a certain workout or instructor is:

1) excessively body image conscious and not health conscious;
2) ignorant about what's best for their body;
3) overly influenced by Hollywood celebrities;
4) Not an advanced exerciser;
5) gullible and in denial about the "truth" of the best exercises
6) afraid of bulking, which is allegedly impossible for women
7) unaware of anatomy
8) a real moron
9) all of the above.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 08:42 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
They're not trash-talking each other. They absolutely were slamming TA. See the picture posted.
Oh, ok. I haven't had enough coffee

So TA gets more free publicity, Jen and Ashley get publicity as well, and a few hundred more people decide to take a closer look at their workouts. Win-win-win.

I also think the Lauren thing got blown way out of proportion. She was just mentioning a popular magazine article and "these exercises won't be on my DVD". Pretty straightforward, and I would want that info and as much other info as I can get if I'm dropping $40 for one dvd.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 08:45 AM  
marmact

Quote:
I do think they were bashing TA and not each other. I also don't like it when instructors talk trash about each other, even if I may agree (privately) with some of the sentiments. It's unprofessional IMO.

HOWEVER, I strongly disagree with the idea that only pleasant comments should be made about instructors on this forum. It is completely appropriate IMHO for posters here to post that they don't like a particular workout/method/instructor as long as it is respectful. What's the point of even having a consumer forum if you can't voice your comments, whether positive or negative? I come here for people's opinions, whether they show warts or are a shower of flowers and rainbows.
I completely agree with you on the bolded point, although I'm not sure anyone on this thread was drawing that parallel. I think it's fine and necessary to share thoughts and experiences that other people might read as negative. I usually find those posts informative. However, I don't think "professionals" should be publicly sniping about their competition as if they were in middle school.
Old 08-26-13, 08:48 AM  
mle777

What they said was ugly, but I have to admit that it did make me giggle a little bit {blush}

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 08:52 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
Wow, I thought I liked Jennifer Galardi but that was just immature. Like a couple of junior varsity cheerleaders talking trash about the head cheerleader. This is not only insulting to TA, but to those that like her workouts as well.
Agree. If it was meant to be a conversation between the two of them then it shouldn't be on twitter.

I find it a bit funny. The way Jen put quotes around "work out". Obviously they are expressing that they don't think TA is legit...which is nothing new.

It is catty and petty, though.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 09:36 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I completely despise this trend of instructors throwing each other under the bus; whether it's done bluntly or in an oblique/insinuating/passive aggressive way. Either way the intent is clear. To any fitness instructors reading this forum, please understand this kind of behavior makes you appear petty and desperate.

I seriously hope this trend stops quickly.

Quote:

OTOH, I totally agree with this sentiment. We should be free to express our opinions as consumers, unlike instructors looking to profit from the negative bashing.
Old 08-26-13, 09:48 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
I don't think anyone minds respectful criticism of a workout here at VF. ...
Joan
Hi Joan,

I was referring to the comment below, with which I respectfully disagree. I should have been clearer in my initial post! I agree that some of the comments regarding the various instructors may go beyond what is necessary to convey a point. But I REALLY don't like instructors bashing each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
it seems to be happening more and more~even here at VF. I wonder what happened to the old "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all?"
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 09:52 AM  
raeven

I have to agree...makes them look like a couple of 14 year olds. Pretty sad. Sorry to say but it reeks of jealousy. If you don't like somebody else's style of fitness, that's fine...and you can laugh or make fun of it all you want. But clearly TA has a massive clientele that feel her method is worth forking out mega $$ to go to her studios. I doubt even people with more money than they know what to do with would spend that kind of cash per month if it didn't do anything for them. Love her or hate her..TA has got something a lot of people want. Hard to take instructors like these others seriously when they don't even take themselves seriously and act like children like that. And I mean this for instructors bashing each other. Us, as consumers sharing our opinions, in a constructive and not vile! way is how we learn and inform each other.

Geez...too early in the day/week to be getting worked up hah! Sorry...done ranting. Back to my happy place!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 09:58 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I dislike bashing, sure, but I do think there is room for respectful disagreement (this twitter conversation is obviously not that!) Some instructors really believe their method is better, safer, more effective. I think it's fine for an instructor to say, 'I do heavy lifting/HIIT/steady-state cardio/high rep-low weight/whatever because I believe it is better/safer/more effective/whatever.' I don't think they need to call out anyone else by name or be snarky about it, but they do what they do b/c they believe in it. As long as disagreement is respectful and tactful, I don't mind it. It can be very educational, actually.

I think the same applies to VF. We should def. have the freedom to say, 'I tried X, I didn't like for the following reasons...' That helps everyone else make informed decisions.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ashley borden, jennifer galardi, pearl clutching, snark, tracy anderson, twitter