Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-10, 11:19 AM  
tinamatas

Question Yoga or stretching DVDs for spinal osteoarthritis

I'm currently beginning a round of physical therapy for low back issues. I have low back muscle spasms probably caused by osteoarthritis and mild scoliosis revealed in my x-ray. After my initial evaluation yesterday, my therapist has me doing three stretches at home until we can begin and they are helping so far. We don't begin true therapy until next Tuesday (the soonest they could get me in). So in the meantime I'm to do my stretches twice daily.

I have been researching what yoga or stretch DVDs I might be able (and really need) to do once I am out of the low back pain and numbness/tingling which goes down to my left foot (probably caused by the muscle spasms creating pressure on my sciatic nerve). So far I've found Emily Kligerman's Yoga Therapy for Back Pain (looks wonderful from the clip I've seen at Total Body Fitness). Does anyone have any suggestions that are perhaps similar to this DVD? Or recommendations for this DVD helping you (or NOT being good for you)? I'd like to have a DVD or two on hand for when I'm ready to move beyond physical therapy - to take care of my back condition so as to keep it from getting worse or from getting into so many flare-ups. I'd also like to be able to describe what is done in the DVD(s) to my therapist once she feels I'm able to do more.

Also, if you have problems similar to mine, what aerobic-type workouts have you been able to do, or what machines (like treadmill, recumbent bike) can you use without increasing your pain or back issues?

Tina
tinamatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 11:30 AM  
spotted zebra

Not an example of static stretches so much as gentle movement and deep breathing, Lee Holden's Qi Gong for Healthy Joints and Bones immediately comes to mind. It has some good exercises for the spinal area. There's a clip on his website but it doesn't do the program justice IMO. He also has another DVD which includes stretches along with qigong called Qi Gong for Low Back Pain which has worked wonders for my partner's low back issues. Besides being a qigong instructor, Lee's training is in Chinese medicine and acupuncture.

www.exercisetoheal.com

P.S. Good luck and I hope you find relief from the pain soon.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-10, 11:35 AM  
LAC

I haven't tried it, but I wonder if Gaiam's Restorative Exercise for Spinal Alignment Kit with Katy Santiago might be helpful? There's a preview clip on the Gaiam site.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 08:16 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

You might want to check into Lillah Schwartz's programs, one for the upper spine/neck and one for the entire spine. Here's her website.

Both of those programs are also available as digital downloads from www.ihanuman.com.

They're not "fun," but they do work - like eating your vegetables.

If you look into Lee Holden, I also recommend his Upper Back and Lower Back DVDs. they're always out at my library I'm going to have to just buy them if my debts are ever paid off.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-10, 08:50 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

This is timely since I am having some low back pain myself right now.

Also excellent is Gary Kraftsow's Viniyoga Therapy for Lower Back, Hips, and Sacrum. It's pretty dry but contains three excellent, therapeutic practices for the low back area. It's available from pranamaya.com.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 08:00 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

How could I forget - not a DVD but the book Yoga for Arthritis by Loren Fishman and Ellen Saltonstall is an excellent resource, not just for the spine but for all the joints. Here's the link at Amazon.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 08:08 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I have to say, I have not had daily soreness in my low back since the "stop doing crunches" thread. It's only been a few weeks and I don't want to read too much into it so soon into the experiment, but I likely would have had some pain by now. I have also been doing somewhat regular kundalini; perhaps that is helping. (Note: some of the kundalini DVD's have crunches or crunch-like moves, and I leave them out)

I too have mild scoliosis and a bulging L4/L5 disc with arthritis surrounding it, plus a wonky SI joint.
Old 08-17-10, 11:56 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
How could I forget - not a DVD but the book Yoga for Arthritis by Loren Fishman and Ellen Saltonstall is an excellent resource, not just for the spine but for all the joints. Here's the link at Amazon.
Fabulous book Pat! I was coming here to recommend it!
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 05:06 PM  
Mulberry

Yoga for Scoliosis, Elise Browning Miller

I liked this one. It's on Lillah's website. I think I read that Elise has had severe scoliosis.

I only did it once, since I'm busy doing those that have helped me: Total Body Solution, Egoscue, and both Lillah Schwartz. I don't have scoliosis that I know of, but I do have back and neck pain.

It's available at Netflix.
Mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 08:02 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I still recommend the classic book Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief . If nothing else, it teaches you tons of solid information about your back. I've re-bought this book so many times and given it to people. I can't stand to see someone suffering with back pain.

Tags
low back, osteoarthritis