Old 03-05-09, 12:36 AM  
lissalaurel76

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen
Melissa:
Your spongebob really made me chuckle!
Old 03-05-09, 02:13 AM  
CarlaShanti

I've never seen a square butt, either. The Firm instructors certainly don't have them, and I've never seen anyone who uses the Firm with a square butt. I don't get what you're talking about.
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 02:58 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

LOL! I never experienced the heartbreak of Square Butt Syndrome (SBS), but I did get a case of the almost as tragic Hardened Butt Syndrome (HBS) from too many tall box step ups, even using a shorter "tall box" made out of 3 stacked Rubbermaid step stools because I'm only 5'3" and any higher made my knees cranky.

Fitting firmly (no pun) into the Pear category, all the weighted step ups resulted in solidifying the large-ish rear I already possessed rather than slimming it down and perkifying (though I have to say, they did make a slight indent in the thutt). I have since discovered better results with non-weighted lower body workouts. As always, YMMV.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:39 AM  
lissalaurel76

Alot of FIRM users have actually commented here over the years about their sponge bob butts. Just do a search for Sponge Bob Butt & you'll find folks here have talked about it for a long time. I joined in 2003 I think & I remember seeing it mentioned here probably the 1st day I joined ! LOL Thus, my link to the Sponge Bob graphic.

ETA : I have never gotten Sponge Bob Butt from the FIRM, btw. However, I think Sponge Bob Butt might more accurately describe cellulite, don't you ? All dimpled looking. ROFL
Old 03-05-09, 09:34 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Melissa, if Spongebob ever did a Firm video, I would definitely know about it, because my kids love that show, LOL! They might as well change the name of Nick to the Spongebob and iCarly Channel since they run those about 50 times a day.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 09:45 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

As a sufferer of the square butt syndrome, I can tell you it would be more suited to a manga or anime than a regular cartoon . Lots of angst and trauma and drama involved.

It is true, not an urban myth. I have ALWAYS had a high, tight butt, no matter how big I have gotten. But when I do the FL Firms, I do get the square butt effect and until you see it you wonder how that fleshy part can square off, but I can guarantee you it does. I had never heard of it until I attained it and then I read about it on here. I had already stopped doing the Firm with the FL just because it was time to move on. But it took a lot of time for it to go away. I kind of just ignored the glutes for a while hoping benign neglect would make them go away. It is really a flattening of the butt, if that helps you visualize it, as much as anything else.

Now that I know what causes them, I tend to just use the FL to hold my handweights.

Renda
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 10:31 AM  
mtngoat

LOL at Sponge Bob's picture Melissa, thanks!

Hmm, now I'm fascinated. Does anyone know the impact of kettlebells or heavy deadlifts on this problem? I have been really concentrating on these to rid myself of chronic back pain (it worked - the pain's gone!). My butt has improved a lot from the side, but I really haven't checked out the back view lately! Now I'm afraid to look!

Lori
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 10:57 AM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom
It is really a flattening of the butt, if that helps you visualize it, as much as anything else.
Oh, now I get it, pancake butt!
Old 03-05-09, 11:21 AM  
Youngfranken

So is this just from the tall box and leg press? Cause I'd be more than happy to skip those or just do them on the 8". My butt is spongebob-esque enough.
Youngfranken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 11:25 AM  
lindseylu8

Im another who has not experienced this. I used the Firm exclusively for a long time too, so like mentioned, it must depend on the person/body type.

I am also lucky in that the tall box doesnt aggrevate my knee problem. But too much step aerobics in one week does. (Its the up down up down at a quick pace repeatadly that gets my knee-yes Im off topic )

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm deathbox, firm for life, spongebob butt