Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-19, 09:32 AM  
Browneyedgirll78

Barbell for Cathe workouts

Hi all! I have been consistently working out with KCM’s 30 minutes to fitness series for the past 5 months, and am wanting to move into some Cathe workouts. I notice that at times a barbell set is needed. Any advice on brand and weight details for those that have one? I’ve been using 12-15 lbs for heavy with a 20 every now and then. TIA!

TTH
KCM or Cathe Cardio

Sat Sun
Yogis Anonymous
Browneyedgirll78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 09:43 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

I purchased a Troy lite BB system a few years ago for her workouts. For me, it's been fine. I rarely put over 40 pounds on it; I've read others have used more than the 80 pounds recommended by the manufacturer. I also have a weighted vest if I need it. These days I'm lifting more moderately though.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 08:20 PM  
katmom

I just use dumbbells in place of the barbell. If Cathe says she is using a 20lb barbell, then I use a pair of 10lb dumbbells.
Old 07-12-19, 08:53 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

You may have already seen this recent thread and you can also get to it via the barbell tag at the bottom of this page:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=226118

I believe the Troy Lite barbell used to be popular amongst the Cathe crowd and still is somewhat but now I believe Cathe and crew use the Don Oliver barbell.

These are the weights for the Don Oliver barbell and plates (as posted by someone on the Cathe forums:

Quote:
Bar Weight - 3.3
Large Plate -11
Medium Large Plate -5.5
Small Plate 2.2

I translated the total weight to this:
1 Medium - 14.3
1 Medium & 1 Small- 18.7
1 Large - 25.3
1 Large & 1 Small - 29.7
1 Large & 1 Medium - 36.3
1 Large & 1 Medium & 1 Small- 40.7
2 Large - 47.3
The Troy Lite barbell comes with two each of 2.5 lb, 5 lb, & 10lb plates and bar weight is 5 lbs. So fully loaded w/o adding extra plates, it is 40lbs but you can go higher of course if you purchase additional plates.

The Don Oliver plates are sand-filled and the Troy Lite are cast iron w/rubber coating.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 10:42 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I have a barbell, but most of the time I prefer to use dumbbells. Any exercise can be done with dumbbells but not the other way around. Maybe try dumbbells first?

One advantage of barbell is for lower body work. You can rest the barbell on your shoulders and your arms will not get tired holding the weights.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 12:38 AM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I also just use dumbbells now. But if you’re set on a barbell definitely don’t buy plastic covered weight plates. Find a set that fits your budget that is made out of iron. Plastic covered plates take up twice as much room as iron and aren’t nearly as durable. No self respecting weight lifter uses plastic plates. I have no idea why Cathe is using them now. I’m sure that is for filming purposes only.

I bought my barbell years ago at a Play It Again Sports and added plates as I needed at Walmart and other places. I’m sure Dick’s or Walmart has a decent starter set for a fairly reasonable price. My husband bought a decent Olympic set at Dick’s several years ago if Olympic plates interest you. They have standard sets too. Costco is another source for a set. I have no idea what they are currently selling but you could check.

My 2 cents is buy iron and a solid barbell not a hollow one as it can hold more weight. I also have a curling bar which makes bicep and tricep work more comfortable. A set might come with one of those too. I like having the two bars as they are set to different weights and I can grab whichever one has the weight amount I want which saves time because when I’m working out there’s no law that says I can’t squat with a curling bar. 😉. Anyway don’t feel like you HAVE to buy a barbell. Dumbbells work just great. HTH
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 01:20 AM  
lizh

Just want to pop in and say "congrats" on consistently working out with KCM!!
That is awesome and something I aspire to!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-19, 10:57 AM  
prettyinpink

I like the Troy Lite with some extra plates and it works well for almost everything I could do at home.

But if I had to do it again, I’d get an Olympic bar with the ability to get larger plates, mainly for glute bridges (it is difficult to get the 1” bar with plates over the legs for these) and a few other lower body exercises. I’m going to end up getting one, anyway.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-19, 12:46 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Been working out with Cathe for 19 years (!) Dumbbells work great -- I have the cast iron ones except for my 5 lb vinyl ones (yep, acquired in 2000 when I started out with weights, together with a pair of 8 lb cast iron ones). Love KCM too!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbell, cathe, dumbbell size, kcm