Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-19, 07:39 AM  
Sollamyn

New Roku Advice Needed

Yikes! My old Roku remote control started acting possessed rather suddenly yesterday afternoon. I just point the thing at my TV and it just goes all over the place--and I'm not pressing any buttons! So I went to the Roku support page to look for answers and I guess they are no longer supporting my Roku 2 XD, which I purchased several years ago?

So that leads me to one conclusion: It's time to purchase a new one. Does anyone have a favorite? I'm not sure that my TV has HDR capability, so do I need that? I don't need headphones, either, since I live alone.

I'm asking about Roku since that is the platform I am accustomed to using and want to keep the learning curve as low as possible!!

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Donna
Old 05-01-19, 08:14 AM  
Donna D

Hi Donna,

I'm a new Roku user as of 4/1/19. Even though you don't have a HDR TV now, you may decide at some time to invest in a new TV.

Here is the one I purchased; I don't have a 4K TV yet

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/roku-st...?skuId=5948005

I purchased two of the Roku streaming plus sticks and 2 indoor HD antennas. I have a subscription with Philo for $16/month, which is all I need. I wish I would have done this much sooner.

I cut the TV cord with Spectrum and now only pay for home phone and internet, a savings of $75.00 per month (after paying the Philo monthly charge).

Donna
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 08:27 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

You can try downloading the Roku app on your smartphone, and using it as your remote. It may not work if that model is no longer supported but it might be worth a try.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 08:29 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
Hi Donna,

I'm a new Roku user as of 4/1/19. Even though you don't have a HDR TV now, you may decide at some time to invest in a new TV.

I purchased two of the Roku streaming plus sticks and 2 indoor HD antennas. I have a subscription with Philo for $16/month, which is all I need. I wish I would have done this much sooner.

I cut the TV cord with Spectrum and now only pay for home phone and internet, a savings of $75.00 per month (after paying the Philo monthly charge).

Donna
We have cut the cord as well. We use the Directv app for most of our streaming, along with Netflix and Amazon Prime. That is all we have. I think we are saving around the same amount per month
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 09:27 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
You can try downloading the Roku app on your smartphone, and using it as your remote. It may not work if that model is no longer supported but it might be worth a try.

Sherry
I thought about trying that, but then thought it probably wouldn't work with my Roku2 XD since there is no longer any customer support for that model. Plus, I'm no techie, by any stretch, so the cost of frustration vs. the cost of a new model? How do I weigh those two things against each other?

Donna
Old 05-01-19, 09:29 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
Hi Donna,

Donna
Thanks, Donna. It is possible that I will need to replace my TV before replacing my next streaming device. I didn't think about it that way before you mentioned it.

Donna
Old 05-01-19, 11:50 AM  
kat999

There is still a Roku that works with AV cables on non-HD TVs, the Roku Express Plus. It's a little more expensive than the HD versions, but the savings on getting this device instead of a new HD TV might be worth it if your TV is still working.

That said, the app is free, so you COULD probably get that to work as a remote to limp along a little while longer. I still use a first-gen Roku mini box set-up on a non-HD TV, and it honestly barely still works, but I'm stubborn and the TV has a built-in VCR, so I keep using it in my workout room.
Old 05-01-19, 05:36 PM  
bjones

I wouldn't get the cheapest one because the wifi can be really slow. I was amazed how much faster mine went when I upgraded from the 1 to the 3 (I"ve been with Roku for a while! )
A Roku TV is tempting...
The newer ones have voice capability which could be nice.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 07:08 PM  
Sollamyn

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone! I ended up going to Best Buy (because i was desperate and didn't want to wait for delivery) and picked up a Roku Premiere. They were sold out of the sticks, which I was thinking of purchasing. Anyway, so far, I really like it! It's just a little bit different from my old model and was pretty easy for me to set up. I'm happy!

Donna

Tags
amazon prime videos, roku, streaming