Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-14, 03:00 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I always add extra risers compared to what Cathe uses because my legs are so much longer. For instance if she's using 3 on each side and sits down on the bench, her legs are at a right angle. Mine would be knees too high. I add the 4th riser on each side, and my leg angle is more comfortable.

Another place where it helps to have the 4 per side is when doing weight work like one armed row where you are placing one hand on the bench and leaning over. Using only 3 risers makes it very difficult or me as it's too low for my leg height.

I would decide about extra risers based on my leg length if I were you.

I am probably in the minority, but I do NOT like my slanted risers. I find that the bench will not stay seated on them properly. For me it works much better to slant my bench using an uneven number of risers on each side.
Old 09-04-14, 08:58 PM  
bzbnmom

I have 4 risers on each side. Three per side for a bench would work just fine for me since I'm short (a chair is handy for one-arm rows), however the extra set comes in handy for incline. I don't have the slant risers and really wish I did - I don't like how my step slides down off the uneven risers.

Bubbles, I've always wondered about this -- Can you stack the two slant risers in opposite directions and have them match up in height with 2 or 3? regular risers on the other side? That would give you an extra riser height, if it could work.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 09:10 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I echo a lot of what Allison said. I find it so much easier to get up and down from a lying position with five risers, which comes in handy for some of Cathe's quick move changes. It's not a must-have, but I find it helps me. I also find that that height makes for a better position for me for some of her seated weight work (although I guess a high step works as a seat as well).

I was lucky to get a couple of extra sets for only five dollars each at Canadian Tire, of all places. One of my best fitness finds ever.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 06:49 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I was taught that your step shouldn't make your knee bend at more than a 90-degree angle when you step on it. So it would depend on how tall you are. If your step is too high, it's not good for your knees. I'm 5'2" and using 3 risers for years had a negative effect on my knees. I don't use any risers now, and I get just as good of a workout.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 10:57 AM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I'm mostly wondering if it's necessary for strength work. I have the high step topper for high step work and step ups. Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming!

Edensmom, do you find that there is a difference in your strength work with four per side versus three?
Nope, it is the same. I am 5'7" but I have a long torso rather than legs.

Like Jeanne Marie, I use my regular risers for an incline and it is fine.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 01:40 PM  
keb's mom

If you stack the slanted risers together it i s equal to three risers so you already have the function of 3 extra risers... Stack the slanted plus a single on one side and four on the other..voila 4 on each side.
keb's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 01:57 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbnmom View Post
Bubbles, I've always wondered about this -- Can you stack the two slant risers in opposite directions and have them match up in height with 2 or 3? regular risers on the other side? That would give you an extra riser height, if it could work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keb's mom View Post
If you stack the slanted risers together it i s equal to three risers so you already have the function of 3 extra risers... Stack the slanted plus a single on one side and four on the other..voila 4 on each side.
Thanks ladies! You have saved me the extra expense I didn't realize they were equal to 3 risers when stacked. Hope they are not too wobbly.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
risers, step, step risers