Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Exchange > Exchange Rules & Tips

Old 03-03-06, 01:56 AM  
lissalaurel76

Post FYIs for SASE trading

I'm sure most VFers here are very aware of the proper way to do a SASE, but this is twice that this has happened & I am not trying to be mean to the most recent person & won't mention names, & thankfully its only been twice in the last couple of years I've been here, but still its something that I think needs to be said.... When sending a SASE, unless its for paper material like an old magazine, catalog, DVD insert or something, please send a padded envelope. This is the 2nd time I've received a plain paper envelope, no padding whatsoever, so I've had to go buy some bubble wrap to make sure the VHS doesn't get all banged up. Also, make sure the envelope you send to a person is big enough for what you are getting. I got one in the mail that was too small for the VHS, no way will it seal on its own, I have to really pull it tight & really wrap the thing to all heck with packing tape.

So, for folks who may not be aware, please remember these very important things when doing SASEs

ETA : I'll keep an updated list in this post of the tips people have posted.
So far we have :

1. If sending for a VHS or DVD please send a PADDED SASE
2. Make sure the envelope you send is big enough for the item you are wanting to receive.
3. Send a NEW padded envelope, not one that's so beat up it needs loads of tape to hold it together.
4. Make sure there is enough postage included.
5. Include a note to remind the person which video is being requested
6. Recipient should use their return address on the SASE - that way if there is not enough postage it will go back to them, not the person who mailed the VHS/DVD.
7. If you are requesting multiple videos, this sorta goes in hand with #2, make sure the envelope you send is big enough for what you are requesting. You may do well if requesting multiple titles to include a strip of bubble wrap or something so that your videos can be shielded from crashing into eachother on the journey. This would be more important with VHS than DVD, since the discs are protected better than a VHS.
8. No metered postage because the metered mail has a date and location it was mailed from which needs to match. For instance, if you send me a metered envelope with the postmark of Tipp City, OH & a date of 03/01/06, but I am sending it from Peoria, IL on 03/07/06 the info obviously won't match & the post office can not send it. So, stamps only.

*also, this isn't necessarily about postage, but a couple of people have mentioned this so I thought I'd add a note about it. Once you receive your videos if you can do so please send a quick note to the sender to let her know you've received the item/items.
Old 03-03-06, 06:01 AM  
Mary09

I always send padded envelopes but since joining Netflix, which ships its DVDs in plain paper with no bubbles or padding, I've wondered how necessary it is for DVDs.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 09:08 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
I always send padded envelopes but since joining Netflix, which ships its DVDs in plain paper with no bubbles or padding, I've wondered how necessary it is for DVDs.
I wondered about that too, but then I started getting cracked DVDs from Netflix. I think for a swap it's a good idea to use padding. If the seller sends a perfect-condition DVD that gets damaged en route because the buyer's envelope isn't padded, I'd say the buyer is the one at fault, but it's the seller who's screwed - she's now left with an unusable and untrade-able DVD.
Old 03-03-06, 09:12 AM  
Tish

I also wanted to add that a new SASE padded envelope is really appreciated. I've received SASE envelopes that require so much taping just to hold it together that if it wasn't for the postage already attached, I would have bought a new envelope.
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 09:57 AM  
lgentry
VF Supporter

Make sure there is enough postage included also.
Old 03-03-06, 10:06 AM  
JustSandra

Another nice touch is to include a note to remind the person which video is being requested.

Cheers,
Sandra
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 02:07 PM  
Carol_is_fit

All wonderful reminders - thank you! As someone who sends out a lot of SASE's, nothing is more frustrating than getting an envelope - padded or not - that is not big enough to fit into it what the person is requesting. I don't like to send DVD or VHS without lots of padding. I would feel terrible if someone received something from me that was cracked or damaged. Also, I really do appreciate it when the receiver lets me know they got it, especially with SASE's because I don't use delivery confirmation with them. It's just a quick courtesy.

Carol
Old 03-03-06, 03:14 PM  
lissalaurel76

Wow, I didn't know there were so many problems like the couple I've had going on with SASEs. Maybe this thread could be stickied somewhere, like in the Exchange forum or maybe Exchange Rules & Tips.
Old 03-03-06, 03:20 PM  
lissalaurel76

Ok, so I'll start a list. I'll add Sandra's, Tish's, & Linda's to my 2. (Carol, your tip about sending a note is good too. I try to do that, but I'm thinking maybe the last time I forgot to let the person know I received my end. I thought I'd said something, but if I didn't I hope the person sees this cuz I can't remember who it was that I traded with last month. )

ETA : I'm putting the list in my post that started this thread. I'll edit it as more people give tips.
Old 03-03-06, 04:18 PM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

Recipient should use their return address on the SASE - that way if there is not enough postage it will go back to them, not the person who mailed the VHS/DVD.
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, mail, sase, trade courtesy