Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-21, 11:40 AM  
susand

kat have you tried the workout challenge? i never have, looked like it was way too much. i know that one is only on vhs.
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 03:14 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand View Post
kat have you tried the workout challenge? i never have, looked like it was way too much. i know that one is only on vhs.
No, I haven't. I don't think I ever did that even back in the day, and when I was on my recent buying spree, I couldn't find it. I'll check for it on YouTube, though.
Old 01-09-21, 10:29 AM  
kat999

This morning I cracked open Lower Body Solution, which I had never owned or rented before, and oh, my goodness, I LOVE IT! It's EXTREMELY effective and full of variety. The first half hour is step aerobics, led by Jeanne, Laurel, and a new leader, Mark. Again, the music-to-voice ratio is not good, but this is a low-impact step routine and not very hard. Still, I burned a ton of calories just doing that portion. That is followed by Jane leading another half hour of deceptively difficult floor work for the legs and abs. Everything was easy to perform, except that the sheer number of reps left my legs burning after that segment. The abs were the only part I felt was actually TOO easy, but then this video is really mostly for legs and thighs, IMHO. There isn't even really a specific segment for the backside, even though Jane's intro claims it's also good for the buns.

This one feels less ridiculously '80s/'90s than some of the others, but it's still got enough fun cheesy nostalgia factor to make me giggle. The room Jane leads the floor work in has that horrible pastel color scheme that seemed all the rage in the late '80s: pale lilac carpet, gray walls, and a pale watercolor of mountains in the background. It felt like a late-'80s waiting room.

I really recommend this one. It may be my new favorite just for the aerobics segment alone. Love Laurel and Jeanne!
Old 01-09-21, 10:46 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
This morning I cracked open Lower Body Solution, which I had never owned or rented before, and oh, my goodness, I LOVE IT! It's EXTREMELY effective and full of variety. The first half hour is step aerobics, led by Jeanne, Laurel, and a new leader, Mark. Again, the music-to-voice ratio is not good, but this is a low-impact step routine and not very hard. Still, I burned a ton of calories just doing that portion. That is followed by Jane leading another half hour of deceptively difficult floor work for the legs and abs. Everything was easy to perform, except that the sheer number of reps left my legs burning after that segment. The abs were the only part I felt was actually TOO easy, but then this video is really mostly for legs and thighs, IMHO. There isn't even really a specific segment for the backside, even though Jane's intro claims it's also good for the buns.

This one feels less ridiculously '80s/'90s than some of the others, but it's still got enough fun cheesy nostalgia factor to make me giggle. The room Jane leads the floor work in has that horrible pastel color scheme that seemed all the rage in the late '80s: pale lilac carpet, gray walls, and a pale watercolor of mountains in the background. It felt like a late-'80s waiting room.

I really recommend this one. It may be my new favorite just for the aerobics segment alone. Love Laurel and Jeanne!
This is a favorite of mine and when it was released on DVD I wasted no time pouncing on it. I haven't done the aerobics much, should do more but really enjoy the lower body section. This is a keeper for me. Glad you liked it.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 12:25 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
This is a favorite of mine and when it was released on DVD I wasted no time pouncing on it. I haven't done the aerobics much, should do more but really enjoy the lower body section. This is a keeper for me. Glad you liked it.
Oh, I just love it! Try the aerobics again. It's very fun. I love how rhythmic Laurel is with her cueing, although she's so tall that it's a bit hard to relate to how graceful she is.
Old 01-09-21, 12:37 PM  
susand

kat is the aerobics hard to follow? i really have two left feet in a big way. also i think the step is optional?
Old 01-09-21, 01:15 PM  
Gams

The aerobics are easy to follow and the workout is done partially on the step and partially on the floor - you could do it with no step if you want.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 01:25 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand View Post
kat is the aerobics hard to follow? i really have two left feet in a big way. also i think the step is optional?
Gams is right. The aerobics are really easy to follow (as with any, it'll take a few times through to get it perfect, of course). It's ALL low-impact, and you can use a step or not. I stayed on the floor for the first song and then felt like it was easy enough that I could bring my step out for the rest of it. I would barely even call it step aerobics at all. It's mostly just low-impact that, if you feel like it, you can use a low step for a few of the moves, mostly just up-downs and a few step up and kick off to the side. I love that there is nothing in the way of true plyometrics here, just a little bit of hopping and some jumping jacks that you could also easily modify down (and one guy demos it that way, too). Even with its low-impact nature, I was still sweating and got my heart rate up!
Old 01-09-21, 08:38 PM  
susand

thanks gams and kat, i will give it a try!
Old 01-15-21, 09:56 AM  
kat999

Today I finished the second workout in Personal Trainer Series: Total Body Sculpting, having done the first one a few days ago. This tape (because I did have to buy a used copy on VHS!) is divided up into two, 25-minute routines that you're supposed to alternate, but after doing both of them, I think next time I will combine them. Each workout starts with 2 minutes of light aerobics and stretches to warm up, and then the first workout goes into largely seated upper-body work, with a little bit of static lunges (all assisted by a chair). The second workout is hamstring work, some seated shoulder work, and abs. Both workouts end with a nice stretch. Not a big calorie burn on either one, and they both felt very easy to me, but then I was using extremely light weights while I learned the moves. I think using heavier weights would be pretty easy to do here, as both workouts are low rep. I think, too, that combining them into one 50-minute workout feels more like what I'm used to when doing strength-focused routines such as the FIRM and Jari Love (although here, again, there is very little in the way of cardio and nothing is high rep).

I do like this a lot and appreciate that having two separate routines allows for some flexibility in terms of how you want to use the tape. This is one of Jane's later releases, from 1995, and she leads the entire thing alone in a nice, bright room. Her leotard doesn't even look that dated!

Tags
jane fonda, significant weight loss