Old 12-07-20, 03:55 PM  
Gams

I like this one, too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cLbGejcu7Nw
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 05:18 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I've been doing almost nothing but Jane Fonda workouts since March. We got a TRX suspension trainer a few months ago, too, which I use for a few exercises. But mostly it has been Jane.

I do Jane's workouts on YouTube--her Original Workout, her Workout Challenge, her Workout with Weights, and her Start Up (very gentle and easy)

I skip the cardio on her Original Workout and the Workout Challenge; I walk for cardio.

I also modify some of the exercises on the Original Workout and Workout Challenge because some of them are a back injury waiting to happen, or they move too fast. But I do not skip reps.

That said ... I'm in really good shape. Good arms and shoulders, flat stomach, pulled in waist, my legs look good. I will never have a round butt--didn't when I was a young woman--but what I have is firmer.

Call me a fan. I don't care that it is old school, and that there is whooping. For me these have been effective workouts. I like them and intend to keep doing them.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 09:16 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Betsy, I love them and don't care if they're old school. I didn't use Jane Fonda for many years and then just felt drawn back to her. I like old school! She motivates me. Her and Kathy Smith both - feels like being with old friends as corny as that sounds. Good, solid workouts and you don't have to kill yourself doing them. I like all the "new" ones, too.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 01:51 PM  
kat999

Betsy, thanks for that summary and endorsement of the effects! I was actually doing one of Jillian Michaels' workouts the other day, and in that one she does a bunch of mat work that is ripped straight from early Jane videos, and she says that mat work is "old school but effective" and jokes about doing "her mom's workout videos" back in the day. I had to chuckle because clearly she was doing JF.
Old 12-12-20, 04:19 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Thanks for this thread. I enjoy Jane's videos, I am in a major workout slump right now, maybe I need to do her workouts for a while. I recall back in 2007 when I was just burnt out on Cathe and The Firm I did Jane's workouts for a while, picked up Workout with Weights around that time, I think I got it via trade from someone here actually. That got me back into a routine, still enjoy that video to this day and wish she would put in out on DVD.

Maybe I will do that one tomorrow!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-20, 04:50 PM  
kat999

Today I got back to this rotation and did Jane's yoga video. I almost got rid of this one this year, as it had started to strike me as too easy. Before the pandemic hit, I had spent about a year and a half getting into progressively more advanced yoga and barre classes at my local yoga studio. However, when everything shut down in March, I pretty much stopped doing almost all workouts that weren't pure cardio or aerobic weight training. Doing this one today, then, actually reminded me that it's not necessarily too easy if you're a little out of practice, and in fact I couldn't do some of the advanced moves (she essentially leads you through a sun salutation at multiple levels, so basically I couldn't get up into full plank and whatnot). It ends with a very long relaxation section that I almost skipped, but I'm glad I didn't, and in fact I think this one is the perfect video for late in the day on a Sunday. Next time I might do it with careful candlelight in my workout room. Very relaxing, stress-reducing, and gentle.
Old 12-14-20, 03:20 PM  
kat999

Today was the full one-hour advanced original Workout. I'll definitely be reaching for this instead of the beginner next time. As with that one, I modified just a bit (didn't do the plow pose cool-down, but maybe I'll try that next time), and I just COULD NOT do the donkey kicks during the legs segment. I think Jane expects a lot out of people's flexibility, and we're not all built like dancers. I did the best I could. In terms of calorie burn, it's on the low side but not as bad as the beginner workout. I feel like I got a good workout in without being overly challenged, yet there is still room to grow. Definitely going into my regular rotation!
Old 12-16-20, 03:37 PM  
kat999

Today was the Easy Going Workout, which was originally called Prime Time. I remember doing this with my mom when I was little. This workout is sort of for the "over-50" set, I guess, and so due to the easiness of the warmup, I figured it would be a cakewalk. NOT SO FAST! The aerobics were easily just as challenging as those in the regular workout, and there is an absolutely wonderful barre segment. The abs were challenging (but not undoable), and in fact, that's generally how I felt about the whole workout: challenging but doable. I've actually been having some PMS discomfort today, so the emphasis on stretching and no resistance work was kind of welcome, as was the pelvic floor segment. Except for the lack of weights/tall box, it actually reminded me a lot of the FIRM Boomers or some of the lighter FitPrime workouts, which I suppose makes sense. I'm definitely keeping this one in rotation. Although it wasn't a high calorie burn, it did clock in at 55 minutes, so it sort of fills the void between the Beginners original Workout and the more challenging Advanced.

Tags
jane fonda, significant weight loss