Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-15-20, 12:26 PM  
starbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i have more questions -
Question #1: could someone confirm my understanding of the 2 methods?

there are 2 methods for USPS shipping from US to an international destination:
1) First Class Package International Service
2) Priority Mail International

Option 1 is the lowest cost. Correct me if i am wrong, but I believe it excludes insurance - could someone (from the US) confirm this?

Option 2 costs more and includes insurance.

Question #2:
Regarding value, the sender will mention the value on the customs form. USPS informed me that the insurance included in Option 2 includes up to $100 insurance coverage in case of loss. Are customs taxes based on sender's declaration of value or the level of insurance?

Question #3:
In the Netherlands, are customs taxes charged on gifts of used DVDs?
I can address 2 and 3. The insurance will cover only the declared value (if you say that it is worth $14, you cannot claim $100 if the package is lost). I just looked on the postNL website and discovered that a gift (geschenk) can have a value up to €45 without incurring VAT and customs fees. That last bit was news to me!

I think that the best option is first class with track and trace. If a package has a tracking code, it is much less likely that it will go astray. I recently received a first class package from NY in 5 days (no tracking code) which is less time than it took for a package to arrive from the UK (10 days!).
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 02:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
I can address 2 and 3. The insurance will cover only the declared value (if you say that it is worth $14, you cannot claim $100 if the package is lost). I just looked on the postNL website and discovered that a gift (geschenk) can have a value up to €45 without incurring VAT and customs fees. That last bit was news to me!

I think that the best option is first class with track and trace. If a package has a tracking code, it is much less likely that it will go astray. I recently received a first class package from NY in 5 days (no tracking code) which is less time than it took for a package to arrive from the UK (10 days!).
45 Euros is $50 US. thank you for this info.

first class will not have insurance (question #1) if i recall correctly. i had gone earlier with a 10" x 7.5" x 5.5" box, and my recipient felt it was going to get lost given the current situation. additionally, my recipient was afraid that because priority mail international insures up to $100, it would trigger high VAT. i was planning to only declare $50 in case of loss.

Question 4: do you think 1 box of that size will get lost vs. 3 padded envelopes if sent First Class? metric size of box is 25.4 x 19.1 x 14 cm.

Question 5: how much is tracking if you send it first class international? anyone know?

thanks for the info on your experience with first class US postage.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 02:31 PM  
Nelly G

I have found this site
For 2 pounds
https://www.parcelmonkey.com/quick-s...6-9018a5b4b1e2
For 3 pounds
https://www.parcelmonkey.com/quick-s...2-d5666c7efad7

Really do not know if it is a reliable site. Please reply all if you know. It shows better prices with insurance.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/parcelmonkey.com
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 03:59 PM  
Nelly G

No need to answer about Monkey. It is not good.
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 06:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

update:
USPS international flat rate padded envelope, 9.5 x 12.5" costs $37.50 and includes tracking and insurance coverage up to $200. from US to the Netherlands, it will take 1-1.5 weeks, excluding customs review.

a padded envelope of that size fits 5 standard-sized DVD cases. i plan to declare its value as $50, used DVDs as a gift. thank you Starbelly for mentioning that >$50 may trigger VAT.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
international postage, international shipping, shipping, shipping charges, usps