Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-20, 03:56 PM  
susand

kat, just curious have you done her Favorite Fat Burners tape?
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-20, 08:55 PM  
SueT

I’m so glad this thread was started! Even though I’m 59 and have been working out at home since the 80s, I somehow managed to miss doing Jane’s workouts this whole time. I finally bought her Low Impact workout, and I love it! It doesn’t bother my knees at all, but I feel my whole body is used and feels like I get a great workout.

Needless to say, in true vidiot fashion I bought 7 other Jane Fonda videos! My plan is to alternate them with some KCM videos with heavier weights.

I’m looking forward to trying all the new-to-me vintage Jane Fonda videos.

Thanks again for this thread!

SueT
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-20, 12:29 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand View Post
kat, just curious have you done her Favorite Fat Burners tape?
No, I haven't! I'll have to seek that out. I think it's on YouTube, but the concept behind it sounds great, if I want a higher calorie burn session.
Old 12-17-20, 12:30 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
I’m so glad this thread was started! Even though I’m 59 and have been working out at home since the 80s, I somehow managed to miss doing Jane’s workouts this whole time. I finally bought her Low Impact workout, and I love it! It doesn’t bother my knees at all, but I feel my whole body is used and feels like I get a great workout.

Needless to say, in true vidiot fashion I bought 7 other Jane Fonda videos! My plan is to alternate them with some KCM videos with heavier weights.

I’m looking forward to trying all the new-to-me vintage Jane Fonda videos.

Thanks again for this thread!

SueT
Yay, Sue! The Low Impact one was actually one of my favorites long ago, so I'm looking forward to that coming up in my rotation.
Old 12-17-20, 01:03 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Yesterday I did most of Jane's Easy Going Workout, a/k/a Prime Time - all except the aerobics and post-aerobic standing stretches. I love that workout. Though some of the ladies have garish warpaint stripes of blush. Sometimes I look back on old trends and think yeesh what were we thinking.

The only non-enjoyable part was that for the DVD, the music is twice as loud as the verbal instruction. I wonder what happened there?

SueT I'm also so happy for this discussion! Let us know how you like your new videos. Low Impact is a favorite.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-20, 02:30 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Though some of the ladies have garish warpaint stripes of blush. Sometimes I look back on old trends and think yeesh what were we thinking.
Yes, that's half the fun of these. I didn't notice their makeup, doing this one just yesterday, but I did notice the leg warmers again. And I did have leg warmers in the '80s, just one pair that I wore on my way to ballet class in the winter, but I didn't leave them on during class. I know the thinking back in the day was that leg warmers were used to keep your calves warm/pliant, sort of a spot-version of the theory behind hot yoga. But good grief, I need an air conditioned room to work out in: make it COLD! That could just be the perimenopause talking.
Old 12-23-20, 04:14 PM  
kat999

This afternoon, I did the Advanced portion of the New Workout from 1985. I had never owned this one before, so it was totally new to me, but I did decide to skip the Beginner version, based on my experiences with the original Workout. I was surprised to see the late Peggy Lipton among the class members (she's billed in the credits as Peggy Jones, her former married name, but I recognized her straight off as I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan). I was also kind of dumbfounded by the segment led (and SUNG ) by backgrounder Leslie. I couldn't hear her cueing at all in the portion that she led in the more strenuous aerobics, and I had to modify some of that segment down a bit due to the high impact. I think I'll get the hang of it the next time I do it, though, because the moves themselves weren't too complicated. I appreciated that the leg segment was a little easier than in the original Workout, and I also appreciated the absence of plow pose as the cooldown. But oh, my goodness, if you want a TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH buns segment, this is IT. My entire rear end and pelvic area was basically a knot by the time that was done, but NOTHING, not even tall-box FIRM segments, has ever really made me feel like that area was getting sufficiently worked out. WHEW!

Also, good grief, but the guy in the back with the yellow half-shirt can KICK HIGH! Go him!

Last edited by kat999; 12-23-20 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-20, 05:56 PM  
Gams

I remember Peggy Lipton looked liked this workout was really kicking her butt. I was a big Mod Squad fan from way back, but after I read her autobiography, I wasn’t quite as big a fan anymore.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-20, 01:12 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I remember Peggy Lipton looked liked this workout was really kicking her butt. I was a big Mod Squad fan from way back, but after I read her autobiography, I wasn’t quite as big a fan anymore.
Yeah, she seemed a little wiped out during most of the workout. Sorry her autobiography wasn't very good! When she passed away, her daughters certainly had nice things to say about her.

I wonder what some of the other backgrounders are up to. They all seem very theatrical.
Old 12-28-20, 03:34 PM  
kat999

This afternoon I did the Low-Impact Workout, which is almost entirely aerobics. I remember this one VERY well from my youth. It's extremely goofy, but it also I feel like really paved the way for later walking-based workouts with little or no impact. The songs are silly, the class whoops and makes animal noises, and there's the weird little gimmick of having one member of the class be a goofy guy who isn't supposed to be there. It is an extremely easy video with no need to modify anything, but the calorie burn is higher than you might think for something this gentle. One element that I had forgotten I loved was the cool-down and stretch at the end, which is set to very relaxing music and is extremely thorough. I remember actually doing that segment by itself as a little morning or evening stretch. Definitely keeping this in my rotation as a treat for an easy day.

Tags
jane fonda, significant weight loss