Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-21, 02:46 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand View Post
interesting kat! i am 62. have never tried the fit and strong dvd (yet) i will be curious to know how you like the am/pm yoga. i have you to thank for doing 'step and stretch' yesterday! this is a great thread i always like to read.
I'll probably be doing the AM/PM Yoga in a few days, so I'll certainly post about it! I'm glad you enjoy this thread, and kudos for doing Step and Stretch!

I feel like for someone of any age the Fit and Strong has its purpose. After doing it, I feel like my mom (who is 71) would benefit from it, but even she may find it a bit too easy. She's a big fan of walking workouts and regularly gets almost 30K steps per day, but I do worry because she doesn't do any strength training or stretching.
Old 01-18-21, 03:46 PM  
Gams

kat999, I’m curious - what does your mom do to get 30,000 steps per day? That’s about 5 hours of walking each day. Does she do a bunch of walking workouts every day? Or take long walks?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 04:27 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
kat999, I’m curious - what does your mom do to get 30,000 steps per day? That’s about 5 hours of walking each day. Does she do a bunch of walking workouts every day? Or take long walks?
She doesn't use any videos or take long walks outside, she just does almost everything remotely feasible to do standing/walking that way, including watching TV and doing various household tasks. She doesn't get that many every day but a "light" day for her is about 15K, whereas that's a very walking-heavy day for me. She started this a couple of years ago in a concerted effort to lose weight, as she'd been close to morbidly obese for about half her life, and JUST from upping her daily step count, she's lost something crazy like 80 pounds. It's very impressive!
Old 01-20-21, 02:15 PM  
psupam

As I transition from PT to regular exercise after 2 knee replacements, I am planning to do Jane's workout with weights. I still have my copy. I also plan to work my way back into her step workouts.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 02:16 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupam View Post
As I transition from PT to regular exercise after 2 knee replacements, I am planning to do Jane's workout with weights. I still have my copy. I also plan to work my way back into her step workouts.
That's great! I hope you enjoy them!
Old 01-21-21, 10:16 AM  
kat999

Today I did Firm & Burn, from the Prime Time series. This is advertised as three aerobic workouts, but really it's three 10-minute segments that you can program with a warmup and cooldown/stretch. I opted to do all of them together, and with every segment it equaled to about 55 minutes. The routines are all "dance" based, but because of the extremely slow pace and low impact, it's almost more like Jessica Smith's themed walks. I did burn over 200 calories, but it was also a bit goofy in places, with Jane giving shout outs to her boyfriend in the live band (having a live band was kind of cool, I admit), but she also did little "aye aye ayes!" during the Latin dance segment and some Saturday Night Fever moves in the funk segment which were all kind of cringey. I also did the add-on 20-minute meditation segment, but as a frequent meditator, I found this a bit lackluster and probably won't do it again. If you're very new to meditation, this might be helpful, though.

All in all, I'll keep it in my rotation for a very light cardio day. It's cute enough, and the steps are easy once you've gone through them a few times. But, truly, I would say this is definitely more of a themed walking video than an aerobic dance routine.
Old 01-21-21, 10:57 AM  
susand

hi kat, hmm i need to give that one a try. more like a walking workout sounds interesting!
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-21, 11:15 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand View Post
hi kat, hmm i need to give that one a try. more like a walking workout sounds interesting!
It is! And it has some cute things about it, plus, again, it's basically no impact, and some days my body appreciates that. I think, too, that after a few repetitions of it it would be easy to boost it a bit to make it more challenging. The DVD is well-chaptered to allow you to choose 1, 2, or all 3 of the 10-minute aerobics sections.
Old 01-22-21, 11:09 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I pulled out Jane's Complete Workout last night and did section 1, the warm ups and upper body weights. I can't do pushups so I did chest presses and tricep kickbacks instead.

The bows, hairdos and suspenders, ouch. I really wish they hadn't added all the moaning and yipping, it's awful. It's a good workout, but those noises!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-21, 12:02 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I pulled out Jane's Complete Workout last night and did section 1, the warm ups and upper body weights. I can't do pushups so I did chest presses and tricep kickbacks instead.

The bows, hairdos and suspenders, ouch. I really wish they hadn't added all the moaning and yipping, it's awful. It's a good workout, but those noises!
Sounds like some good substitutions! I do wimpy pushups because I have bad rotator cuffs, so I just do them on my knees in a modified table/plank pose.

But yes, the super '80s touches are painful, and the yips and whatnot are distracting. I remember being slightly irritated by all that back in the day. That stuff really stops by about the early '90s videos, thank heavens! I think the only thing I could say about that in a positive way is that it shows that there are real people back there, and that sometimes a move is strenuous enough that they do that in order to kind of "get through" it. If the crew of backgrounders is totally silent with plastered-on smiles and no signs of exertion, sometimes that can be unrelatable.

Tags
jane fonda, significant weight loss