Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-18, 10:15 PM  
Tammie M

Thanks for the great suggestions! I will definitely have to check out Udaya. Beyond.omega and yogapam, I had the Ali MacGraw on VHS. I'll have to see about getting that one dvd. I had forgotten about it. I'll look for the Rodney Yee ones also. I do have Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Beginners and I really like that one. I also have a couple of Element ones and I really like those also. I am interested in the Yin Yoga ones. I've tried a yin yoga dvd with Simon Low and I did not really care for that one. Also based on a recent thread, I did just order Jane Adams Yoga for Beginners.
Tammie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-18, 03:23 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie M View Post
I am interested in the Yin Yoga ones. I've tried a yin yoga dvd with Simon Low and I did not really care for that one.
i have never tried Simon Low, however, i have the following in order of most used.

*Travis Eliot Ultimate Yogi series, Yin Yoga disc
Mark Laham Yin Yoga Mind Body Warrior
Paul Grilley Yin Yoga
Sara Powers Insight Yoga
**Jennifer Kries Yin Yoga
**Jennifer Kries Waking Energy Yin Yoga segment

*Travis has a couple full-length yin yoga practices on youtube. i know you said you don't stream, but perhaps you could review the ones there to get an idea about what he's like

**yin yoga segments might overlap on these two

Own but need to do these a few more times to form an opinion:
Donna Yost: Flow and Yin
Mimi Solaire: Deep Stretch Yin Yoga

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-18, 06:03 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathym View Post
I enjoy uadya annie carpenter smartflow yoga. She shows many options. It is currently on sale for 89.98 at udaya. The practices are a bit longer but they start slower and move into slightly longer holds and then back to relaxation. I really like her instruction as well. There are 12 disks.
From the site it says there are '7 empowering asana classes, 4 therapeutic classes, 5 pranayama (breath) classes'
I generally do the 7 asana classes. One every day or every other day.
Hi Kathy—These sound good. How long are the practices?

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-18, 02:43 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Smartlow Yoga Lengths

This is my most used yoga set. I stream from udaya as well but use these the most. They are kind of as hard as you want to make them as she offers so many levels in the class. At first I would skip over sections but then started to do a bit more each time and it seems to be developing my strength nicely. Annie is so relaxed. She also does some tree type poses which really help with balance and ankle strength. Great pointers for these. I don't know which are my favorites as it changes from week to week. I always seem to love Hip Opener, Jai Hanuman, Open Heart, and Central Channel.

I added some of the comments from the udaya insert and a few comments from me. The times are from totalfitnessdvds.com As I said.... they are a bit lengthy but this is due to the slower start and relaxation at the end.
Disc 1-7 I rotate daily or a bit more if taking a rest day.
Disc 1 - Hip Opener (72 Minutes) Inquiry into your hips. Triangle, half moon, side plank. Return to your center with seated hip openers.
Disc 2 - Twist and Shout (67 Minutes) twists: seated, standing, arm
Disc 3 - Jai Hanuman! (57 Minutes) work towards splits (which i certainly cannot do) move slowly into deepening hip extension and flexion remaining mindful of sacrum and low back.
Disc 4 - Open Heart: Speak Your Mind (57 Minutes) starts with passive chest openers. Shoulder openers and backbends. I cannot do backbends but sure opens chest and shoulders.
Disc 5 - Central Channel (65 Minutes) core focused. bring front and back body into awareness. elongate spine. plank, side plank, warrior 3 and handstand. (I don't do handstand either but plenty of others to follow.)
Disc 6 - Grounding Practice (61 Minutes) Hip flexors (the ilipsoas system) release and strengthen
Disc 7 - Backbends (68 Minutes) Works on length and strength of spine for backbends. I can still do a lot of this even though I don't do backbends. I am still working on opening.

Disc 8 - Therapeutics - Low Back Stabilization (40 Minutes) & Deep Hip Release (32 Minutes)
Disc 9 - Therapeutics - Shoulder & Neck Care (33 Minutes), Full Moon (31 Minutes), & Royal Practice (22 Minutes)
Disc 10 - Inner Limbs - Yoga Nidra: Deep Relaxation (15 Minutes) & Sit: Meditation on Acceptance (13 Minutes)
Disc 11 - Inner Limbs - Pranayamas

Dirga - The Three-part Breath (11 Minutes)
Ujjaii - The Victorious Breath (11 Minutes)
Viloma 1 - Inhale Pausing (9 Minutes)
Viloma 2 - Exhale Pausing (12 Minutes)
Nadi Shodana - Alternate Nostril Breathing (13 Minutes)
Disc 12 - Tutorials
Virabhadrasana 3 - 5 Minutes
Virabhadrasana 2 - 7 Minutes
Parivritta Trikonasana - 7 Minutes
Adho Mukha Vrksasana - 10 Minutes
Setu Bhandasana - 5 Minutes
Supta Virasana - 5 Minutes
Old 12-19-18, 03:08 PM  
TracyQ

Thank you Kathy for taking the time to post all that info. It’s great that this set developed your strength.

I never even heard of it until you mentioned it in this post. Yoga isn’t my main form of exercise but I like to supplement my other workouts with Yoga. I have Ultimate Yogi and use the practices often (not as a rotation though). I love Travis.

I had Yoga 365 but didn’t click with Rudy. I couldn’t force myself to do his practices so I traded that set.

I think I would enjoy Annie. I just got my Christmas bonus. I may treat myself to this set. Thanks again.

Old 12-19-18, 03:39 PM  
lorajc

How about Yoga by Adriene on YouTube? I am actually hooked on her. Love her demeanor, instructions and fine tune adjustments. Lots of variety and her dog joins in a lot for practice.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-18, 03:44 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
How about Yoga by Adriene on YouTube? I am actually hooked on her. Love her demeanor, instructions and fine tune adjustments. Lots of variety and her dog joins in a lot for practice.
She is a great suggestion, but the poster said she cannot stream and can only do dvds.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-18, 04:35 PM  
TracyQ

I bought the Smartflow Yoga set.

Old 12-27-18, 07:16 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post

I think I would enjoy Annie. I just got my Christmas bonus. I may treat myself to this set. Thanks again.
Mary has the set on sale right now.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-18, 09:52 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Mary has the set on sale right now.
Got it. Thanks.