Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-17, 11:34 AM  
sherry7899

smoothie bowls

Does anyone make them? How do you get them thick? I follow the recipes except for using ice (we don't use it, so I only make it when we have friends over). I even let chia seeds soak in the almond milk for ten minutes, and they didn't really thicken.

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 11:38 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Sherry, I've only made chia pudding and it took quite a while for the chia seeds to soak up the almond milk and thicken it. I stirred it periodically to prevent it getting lumpy.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 11:41 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks! I found online instructions for making chia gel. I may make some and keep it in the fridge to add to bowls and smoothies.

Sherry

Old 01-18-17, 12:04 PM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Does anyone make them? How do you get them thick? I follow the recipes except for using ice (we don't use it, so I only make it when we have friends over). I even let chia seeds soak in the almond milk for ten minutes, and they didn't really thicken.

Thanks!
Sherry
I don't use ice either, but do use frozen fruit or I buy frozen Acai and use that as the base (Acai and a bit of water). It's like eating ice cream for breakfast!
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 12:40 PM  
sherry7899

Suzie- I do use frozen fruit. I just found acai packs at Trader Joe's. I am going to try with chia seed gel and see if that makes them thicker.

I made a really good smoothie bowl this morning with frozen strawberries and banana blended with almond milk and Greek yogurt and chia seeds and 2 tsp peanut butter. I. topped it with fresh blueberries and cacao nibs. Maybe I will leave out the almond milk and see if that thickens it.

Old 01-18-17, 02:09 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

My daughter and I found a book a the library called Power Souping http://https://www.amazon.com/Power-.../dp/0062424920 I'm not into smoothies, but my daughter uses recipes from the book every day and eats them from a bowl.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 02:33 PM  
sherry7899

Linda- I have that book the recipe I mentioned above is from it. I found it at BJ's last year.

Old 01-24-17, 02:59 PM  
Lannette

Thank you so much for recommending this book! We love soup and I'm always on the look out for new recipes. I made 5 different soup recipes over the weekend and every one of them was a hit. They also translate well to the instant pot.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-17, 03:02 PM  
sherry7899

Lannette-which soup recipes did you try? I'm curious which ones you liked.

Thanks!
Sherry

Old 01-24-17, 04:47 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Lannette-which soup recipes did you try? I'm curious which ones you liked.

Thanks!
Sherry
I just started at the beginning of the book. Hearty Black Bean, Garden Green Minestrone, Veg Loaded Lentil, Pea, Asparagus and Parsley. I took the Spanish Red Pepper snack and puréed it in the Vitamix and served it hot in mugs. They don't make so many servings that we're eating them forever. I like that.

Today I whipped up the cucumber avocado snack and used homemade soy yogurt in it. Nice small servings but very satisfying.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote