Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-19, 12:06 PM  
SpiritYogi

Question Juicer Recommendations

I know this has been discussed before but the most recent thread was from 2015.

My Naturopathic doctor has suggested that I start drinking celery juice. She advised me to get a masticating juicer and suggested two brands -- Breville or Omega. I did some shopping this morning and was astounded at the price!! Since juicing is new to me, and not something I'll stick with if the celery juice does not provide the benefits my doctor is hoping for, I don't want to invest $300+ in one.

Can anyone suggest a decent quality masticating juicer for around $150 or less? I don't have a lot of counter space so it has to be something fairly compact as well.

Also, if anyone has tried celery juice and can provide their personal feedback (positive or negative), I would appreciate that as well. You can PM me if that type of discussion is not permitted here.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 02:34 PM  
wendug

My husband bought a masticating juicer a few years ago (omega) and it is awesome. We had a cheapie juicer (Hamilton Beach I think) and it was cheap and didn't do a good job of juicing. I didn't think I liked lots of juices when I bought them at the grocery store, but my mind was changed with fresh juices. Carrot juice, celery juice, mixes of fruits and veggies are so much better when fresh! Our juicer is big so it isn't counter friendly, but luckily we have a spot to store it. Maybe you could find one refurbished that isn't so expensive?
Old 12-18-19, 06:09 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

The masticating juicers cost more because they work better. Whole different amount of juice.

If you get a Breville, warning, it is LOUD.
I have a Kuving juicer and you can’t get it away from me. I just made apple,ginger and carrot juice. Sounds like you’d turn your nose up, but is better than anything on the market.

If you want to do grasses you need a masticating juicer.

My first juicer was a Breville from Fat Sick and Nearly dead. I’ve been on the juicing ever since.

Amazon has a slew of juicers and it can be confusing with such a variance in price.

I’ve always wanted an Omega but didn’t happen. I’ve also had a $300 the one that begins with K. Great juicer.

The juicers leave pulp, and lots of foam and lots of waist age fruit and veggies.

I did not get mine just for celery so I can’t say if celery only works.

You can get an app for 101 juices for free and also the Reboot has juice recipes

If you just want to try it, Breville or The Juice Man, or others Huron is excellent also. Some of the $50 ones are okay and you will soon outgrow them

If you get it from amazon, remember you can .always send it back. I’ve done it.

Text me or email me if you like about what you may be interested in.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 07:04 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

OK, I love celery juice. I drink it because I like the taste, not for any health reason. I don't have a juicer. I make celery juice by roughly chopping a whole bunch of washed celery, then put it in my Vitamix with a little bit of water so it will blend and then puree. After that I pour it through a nut milk bag or a cheese cloth that's been folded a few times and I squeeze out the juice in a big bowl, then discard the pulp. If you have a Vitamix, you might try making celery juice that way until you know if you want to invest in a juicer. Oh, I don't use the celery leaves because they make the celery juice bitter. I hope that helps!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 09:01 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Paine, how much juice do you extract from the whole bunch of celery?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 09:25 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Hi Pat! I'm not exactly sure how much juice I get--it's about 3 cups depending on the size of the bunch of celery I use and sometimes I'll blend 2 bunches of celery which will make even more.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-19, 08:05 PM  
cyana

I have an old Omega and it is built like a tank. I truly have no idea how much I paid for it - it wasn't the most expensive juicer out there. It's slow, isn't noisy and it really does a great job of extracting the juice out of the produce as the pulp is very dry.

I started out with an inexpensive centrifugal juicer. It was OK - much noisier and didn't do as good a job of extracting the juice from the producer. I would sometimes run the pulp through the juicer to extract more juice. I ended up giving it to my mother. She probably ended up selling it at a church yard sale knowing her, LOL!

If you have a fairly heavy duty or high speed blender, you could definitely give Paine's method a try. Like Paine, I like the taste of celery juice. I thought it was pretty icky the first time, but found it to be curiously addictive.

You could probably pick up a second hand juicer for a reasonable price. I suspect a lot of people buy them and then discover they don't use them enough to justify keeping them around.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 09:14 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Hi Pat! I'm not exactly sure how much juice I get--it's about 3 cups depending on the size of the bunch of celery I use and sometimes I'll blend 2 bunches of celery which will make even more.
Thanks! I'd hate to go through all that for a half cup of juice.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 09:32 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
I have an old Omega and it is built like a tank. I truly have no idea how much I paid for it - it wasn't the most expensive juicer out there. It's slow, isn't noisy and it really does a great job of extracting the juice out of the produce as the pulp is very dry.

I started out with an inexpensive centrifugal juicer. It was OK - much noisier and didn't do as good a job of extracting the juice from the producer. I would sometimes run the pulp through the juicer to extract more juice. I ended up giving it to my mother. She probably ended up selling it at a church yard sale knowing her, LOL!

If you have a fairly heavy duty or high speed blender, you could definitely give Paine's method a try. Like Paine, I like the taste of celery juice. I thought it was pretty icky the first time, but found it to be curiously addictive.

You could probably pick up a second hand juicer for a reasonable price. I suspect a lot of people buy them and then discover they don't use them enough to justify keeping them around.
I also have an Omega. My experience is the same as cyan’s except that I donated our old juicer to our local recycling center where someone snatched it right up. I actually like the taste of most vegetables juiced. Cabbage juice is amazing if you can get past the smell.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 02:29 PM  
SpiritYogi

Thank you all for your replies. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and charge an Omega to my cc and hope (1) I can pay it off when the bill comes and (2) I really like juicing and it provides the benefits my Naturopathic doctor is promising.

Just wish a high quality juicer didn't cost so darn much, but you can't put a price on good health.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celery, juicers, juicing