Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-16, 10:47 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Hammer and Chisel: Chisel Iso Strength

Wow. I mean just...wow. I have never had my butt kicked so hard in such a short weightlifting workout! I went a little heavier than Autumn (I used 20 lbs where she used 15 lbs) but holy cow! I found myself whimpering and making noises I've never made in a workout before. LOL I have had my butt kicked in lots of other workouts (most notably EBE2, Amy Bento's Slo-Mo and several of Cathe's weightlifting workouts) but this is by far the most intense 30 minute weightlifting workout I have ever done. I of course loved it.

So far I have only done the Chisel Balance and Iso Strength from this set. Chisel Balance was amazingly good as well. I had total body DOMS from the Balance workout and especially core DOMS. I rarely get sore in my core these days unless it's a HoCo workout, so when I find one that works my core well like that it's cause for a celebration!

Even if the rest of the workouts in this set are just okay I will have no regrets from having bought the set. THUMBS UP! (Note: this is coming from someone who has not liked most Beach Body sets she has tried...so that is saying something.)
Old 01-06-16, 11:39 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I'm doomed! I love Sagi and Body Beast. Youre review, Colleen, sounds GREAT!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-16, 11:46 AM  
Daphne M

I *think* I'm excited to try those workouts, Colleen. They sound good but kinda scary. So far I've done the two ab workouts: Hammer Abs and Chisel Abs, along with Chisel Agility. (And the total body workout from Body Beast, which they throw in with Hammer & Chisel as a bonus.) I loved Chisel Agility -- very fun 40-minutes of cardio. I have a lot more to try! (Got ICE and two new Spinervals along with Hammer & Chisel, so it's taking me a while to get through all the new workouts, but it's the kind of problem I love having.)
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-16, 12:03 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I love Chisel ISO Strength too! I get glute "freeze" after the bulgarian split squats/hold and the side step up/hold gives me some major freeze in my quads. Autumn has you stretch out after each exercise but I find myself doing opposing stretches (hamstring/glute and then a quad stretch) instead.

I'm kind of feeling a little dread with Chisel Balance. It's the last exercise that's the toughest for me (one leg deadlift into pistol squat). I may sub the add-ons "Power Chisel & 10 Minute Ab Chisel" when I can in the rotation calendar.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-16, 12:06 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Chisel Iso is amazing. I also never have thought that in 30 min I would cry for my mommy. I used heavier than the DVD, my butt was on fire. Its really a killer workout. I wanted to add something at the end but decided not to I had enough. Picking the right weight is the key.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-16, 12:11 PM  
momofcha

ok, I was looking for a strength workout for today. You all have convinced me that this is the one to do.... I will report back shortly!

thanks for the encouragement!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-16, 12:30 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
I *think* I'm excited to try those workouts, Colleen. They sound good but kinda scary. So far I've done the two ab workouts: Hammer Abs and Chisel Abs, along with Chisel Agility. (And the total body workout from Body Beast, which they throw in with Hammer & Chisel as a bonus.) I loved Chisel Agility -- very fun 40-minutes of cardio. I have a lot more to try! (Got ICE and two new Spinervals along with Hammer & Chisel, so it's taking me a while to get through all the new workouts, but it's the kind of problem I love having.)
Go for it! You can do it! If you are nervous I'd suggest doing this workout your first time using a lighter weight then you think you can handle. Then evaluate how you feel afterwards and the next day (how sore you are, if you are). Then the next time you do it if you are feeling braver, challenge yourself with a heavier weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
Chisel Iso is amazing. I also never have thought that in 30 min I would cry for my mommy. I used heavier than the DVD, my butt was on fire. Its really a killer workout. I wanted to add something at the end but decided not to I had enough. Picking the right weight is the key.
omg, I feel the same way!! I was driving to work this morning and was still just shaking my head thinking "wow!". lol Normally I like to work out for at least 45-60 min. Every time I do a 30 minute workout (before this one) I just never felt satisfied. Those workouts are fine when I'm in recovery mode (I like to cycle between challenging myself with intensity and every so often backing off for a bit). However, after doing this one I was done. Cooked! I didn't feel the need to add anything afterward, which is unusual for me!

My butt is feeling mighty toasty right now! LOL
Old 01-06-16, 01:09 PM  
momofcha

Wow, this was intense! I burned 404 calories in 39 minutes! I pretty much matched Autumn with weights, although the Bulgarian squats had me crying by the end....

thanks for talking this one up. I really need to bite the bullet and just start a rotation and see how I feel....

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-16, 01:33 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
Wow, this was intense! I burned 404 calories in 39 minutes! I pretty much matched Autumn with weights, although the Bulgarian squats had me crying by the end....

thanks for talking this one up. I really need to bite the bullet and just start a rotation and see how I feel....
You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it. I never thought I'd love total body workouts so much. I do them sometimes, but I prefer to split upper (total UB not split into 2 days) and lower. I love that she concentrates on the lower body and back the most. She hits the chest some but back more (my preferred method) and does very little isolation. I still feel like my bi's and tri's are getting worked due to the movements selected. You could even skip the shoulder raises at the end of this workout and get an awesome workout done in under 30 minutes (not counting stretch/cool down). I am thoroughly impressed so far!
Old 01-06-16, 08:56 PM  
catcrazy

Did this today. Awesome and ouch, I'm sure I will feel it tomorrow!
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hammer and chisel