Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-14, 07:19 PM  
loverly7

Feeling sick during and after Kundalini Yoga

I have started experimenting with Kundalini Yoga. I have tried it twice now. Both times I felt sick during it and afterwards. I just finished one, Kundalini Yoga For Beginners and Beyond with Ana (brown hair) and could only do 30 minutes because of feeling so sick. I don't attempt to go at her pace and didn't even do any breath of fire except for on the primer. Will this sick feeling happen every time? Is this me detoxing? I have a slight headache and feel very nauseous. Does this happen to others? I have been drinking gobs of water to try to help, but if it will always be like this I will stick with other forms of yoga. Thanks in advance for your input.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 07:37 PM  
laurajhawk

I have not experienced it but have read that it's a rather common reaction to kundalini yoga. I believe they say it is detoxing and will pass. I think you're doing the right things, drink water, go at your own pace, and avoid breath of fire till the basic moves feel better. I would give it a few more tries to see if it improves, if you are motivated, because it may be really doing good things for you. Of course if it gets worse you should stop.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 09:48 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverly7 View Post
I have started experimenting with Kundalini Yoga. I have tried it twice now. Both times I felt sick during it and afterwards. I just finished one, Kundalini Yoga For Beginners and Beyond with Ana (brown hair) and could only do 30 minutes because of feeling so sick. I don't attempt to go at her pace and didn't even do any breath of fire except for on the primer. Will this sick feeling happen every time? Is this me detoxing? I have a slight headache and feel very nauseous. Does this happen to others? I have been drinking gobs of water to try to help, but if it will always be like this I will stick with other forms of yoga. Thanks in advance for your input.
I haven't done a lot of kundalini yoga, but I found that the Ana/Ravi practices I tried made me feel weird and uncomfortable, sometimes panicky (I'm usually fairly laid back), although not nauseous. It could be that you need something a little less intense to start with. The first kundalini practice I ever tried was the old Gurmukh Gaiam Kundalini Yoga, which made me feel awesome - although I found it totally bizarre (I bought it on sale having no idea what kundalini was). I also find Maya Fiennes Kundalini yoga to Detox and Destress a good one that feels more supportive than taxing on my body. I found the Ravi/Ana stuff just felt like it beat me up - too intense for me. On the other hand, it could be that kundalini yoga doesn't agree with you. Do you enjoy it beyond the nausea? If so, I'd recommend trying other stuff. If not, maybe find something else that does whatever you were hoping kundalini would. No sense doing something you don't enjoy.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 11:36 PM  
loverly7

Thank you both for your responses. I tried the one you mentioned by Maya first, as I had read it was a gentler introduction to kundalini yoga. I experienced the same sick feeling, but I did make it through the hour. I felt sick during it and awful for hours afterwards. Today was the Ana one and I felt sick during and just skipped over the rest until I got to the deep relaxation, meditation, and closing prayer. I didn't feel well afterwards either.

I wasn't really a fan of Maya, but I really like (or want to like) Ana. I know I can't be the only person who experiences this.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 12:53 AM  
kali1

you know you could go to Ana's website at https://www.raviana.com/ and ask her about this. I'm sure she would provide an answer and even make some suggestions. Here's her email address: ravianayoga@aol.com
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 04:24 AM  
PhyllisG

Ask Anna but if it makes you feel sick, weird, nauseous, why do it? Life is too short to make yourself feel ill. Do something that makes you feel great. Like every workout DVD says Not all exercises are for everyone.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 06:11 AM  
SabrinaD

I usually feel nauseous after doing Pilates. I researched it online and apparently it's quite common because of the constant ab contraction. Also, there is a proper breathing technique for Pilates which I'm probably not doing right and could be one of the reasons. Perhaps the same thing is happening to you? I don't feel nauseous when I concentrate on my breathing.

I exercise because somehow completely exhausting myself is the most relaxing part of my day

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"
SabrinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 07:29 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Sometimes I wonder if what people chalk up to "Kundalini awakening" is a migraine or seizure brought on by the combination of heavy breathing and jostling the head in different planes while the eyes are closed. As far as I know, nobody's really studied it, but the symptoms sound very similar.

I agree, consistently feeling sick is a good sign to move on to something else.
Old 06-03-14, 07:30 AM  
glowacki

The symptoms you describe are common to beginner practioners of kundalini yoga. It sounds as if your body is detoxing. Water is important.

Do you practice other forms of yoga? I did Hatha and Ashtanga yoga for many years before trying Kundalini, so maybe that was why I never experienced what you have.

This information from Ravi and Ana's website should help you.
"Dizziness and Nausea During Yoga Practice"
https://www.raviana.com/faq_48.html
glowacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 07:31 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Ask Anna but if it makes you feel sick, weird, nauseous, why do it? Life is too short to make yourself feel ill. Do something that makes you feel great. Like every workout DVD says Not all exercises are for everyone.
That was my experience with it~and exactly why I no longer do it. (((HUGS)))

Tags
headache, kundalini, nausea