Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-14, 11:21 PM  
readcookrun

Kettlebell Kickboxing Body Series or P90X3

Hello all,

I'm coming out of my lurkdom because I know one of you knowledgable ladies will be able to help me out. I'm interested in buying one of these 2 systems and have come for advice.

A little bit about me: I love 30-ish minute workouts that combine both cardio and strength. It's all I can do in the mornings before I get ready for work and/or my 15-month old wakes up. I've been doing the KBKB Scorcher Series and Debbie S.'s KB/Zuzanna paper workouts since December with a little TA and Ultimate Yogi thrown in here and there. I still love kettlebells but I'm getting bored with the Scorcher Series. Before March, it was a total love-fest with Dasha. I looked forward to my workouts everyday. I love her format and don't mind her chattiness at all. I thought I was going to get the Body Series after I've saved my pennies, but now I have dread at the thought of doing the Scorcher series.

I've never done the P90 systems before but the time and variety of P90X3 interest me. I've looked at the homemade clips of P90X3 on youtube and the exercises look fun.

I know it may be hard to compare them, but any thoughts about them would be useful! Thanks in advance!

On another note, I wanted to express how much this forum has motivated me to get my workouts you. I have gotten so much good information I would otherwise have not known!
readcookrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 11:30 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I can't speak to kettlebells as I don't use them.

But I'm really enjoying P90X3! The workouts are so varied that I'm definitely not bored. And they're challenging yet doable. I'm working my body in new ways and I really feel like I'm making progress in areas of fitness that needed it. And they're fun, in a masochistic sort of way.

BTW, if you're wanting to join a check in join Debbie, myself and the other ladies in the Becky Busted check in.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 01:40 AM  
bee1forfitness

I do and have done many of the same workouts you posted about, but P90X3 is great lots of variety, challenging, but doable, and only 30 minutes in length. Another vote for P90X3
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 07:39 AM  
raeven

I don't do kettlebells...but did want to throw in a recommendation for p90x3! My hubby and I are finishing up the 2nd block (month) of it this week..and we've both had great success so far! If you are looking for a set with a great mix of strength, cardio, core, and balance....that are 30 mins long and challenging...you very much might like it!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 07:50 AM  
Zenara25

I really loved KBKB Scorcher series, but didn't really enjoy the KBKB Body series. It was a much slower pace with lots of pauses. I'm thinking maybe to get more out of these I needed to write down all the moves ahead of time to figure out which KB weight to use. I would definitely say I liked P90X3 much better.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 10:03 AM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

I have both, I did a rotation with the Body Series late last year, and I'm midway through P90X3.

I love Dasha, and I really like the Body Series (and I adore the Scorcher series), but it ended up being quite repetitive towards the end and I ended up overworking my shoulders. I was doing the Advanced rotation and there were doubles (which defeats the whole purpose of doing a shorter workout!). Perhaps if I had stuck with the less advanced rotations I would have been fine. My results were good. My glutes were very strong, I had nice leg definition and my knees felt great.

P90X3 has a ton of variety, and the workouts are very efficient. Each workout really is different than the others (not so with the Body Series). The only stinker IMO is the Pilates workout. However, I do throw in a Kettlebell workout once a week (almost always KBKB) because my knees start to hurt if I don't continue to focus on my posterior chain, and P90x3 is not nearly as good at that.

So . . . I would probably recommend P90X3 for you right now. You could get the Body Series at a later date when you'd had a little break from Dasha's format. But truly, you won't go wrong with either one.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 10:10 AM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

One more thing - you really have to have a way to do a pull up type move in P90X3, either with a place to loop a heavy tube to do pull downs, or a pull up bar or something. I use a Cathe tower (I don't think she sells them anymore) that works great for me. But pull-ups are a big part of the system.
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 10:41 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by readcookrun View Post
Hello all,

I'm coming out of my lurkdom because I know one of you knowledgable ladies will be able to help me out. I'm interested in buying one of these 2 systems and have come for advice.

A little bit about me: I love 30-ish minute workouts that combine both cardio and strength. It's all I can do in the mornings before I get ready for work and/or my 15-month old wakes up. I've been doing the KBKB Scorcher Series and Debbie S.'s KB/Zuzanna paper workouts since December with a little TA and Ultimate Yogi thrown in here and there. I still love kettlebells but I'm getting bored with the Scorcher Series. Before March, it was a total love-fest with Dasha. I looked forward to my workouts everyday. I love her format and don't mind her chattiness at all. I thought I was going to get the Body Series after I've saved my pennies, but now I have dread at the thought of doing the Scorcher series.

I've never done the P90 systems before but the time and variety of P90X3 interest me. I've looked at the homemade clips of P90X3 on youtube and the exercises look fun.

I know it may be hard to compare them, but any thoughts about them would be useful! Thanks in advance!

On another note, I wanted to express how much this forum has motivated me to get my workouts you. I have gotten so much good information I would otherwise have not known!
P90X3 hands down - and I love kettlebells.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 05:41 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by readcookrun View Post
Hello all,

First, welcome out of lurking.

I'm thrilled that you are doing my workouts. They are still my main strength workouts, and I still look forward to doing them every single week.

I do visit a DVD series at least once a year, and this year it is, P90X3.

I own all 3 systems, and I recommend P90X3.

It actually takes me awhile to readjust to using DVDs, so it's never a love fest when I do a series, and it's been no different with P90X3. I've settled for doing only 3 P90X3 workouts per week, and I'm not following any of the suggested rotations. My goal is to do all of the workouts while still doing what I have been doing. Like you, I do TA. I do her workouts on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Again, three days is my max.

I'm not sure where you're at strength wise in regards to push ups and pull ups. Both are easy for me, and I do my pull ups and chin ups unassisted. I find the strength workouts on the easier side for me (because I do a lot of them every week), but the cardio workouts in P90X3 packs quite a punch!
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 11:41 PM  
readcookrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfreund View Post
I have both, I did a rotation with the Body Series late last year, and I'm midway through P90X3.

I love Dasha, and I really like the Body Series (and I adore the Scorcher series), but it ended up being quite repetitive towards the end and I ended up overworking my shoulders. I was doing the Advanced rotation and there were doubles (which defeats the whole purpose of doing a shorter workout!). Perhaps if I had stuck with the less advanced rotations I would have been fine. My results were good. My glutes were very strong, I had nice leg definition and my knees felt great.

P90X3 has a ton of variety, and the workouts are very efficient. Each workout really is different than the others (not so with the Body Series). The only stinker IMO is the Pilates workout. However, I do throw in a Kettlebell workout once a week (almost always KBKB) because my knees start to hurt if I don't continue to focus on my posterior chain, and P90x3 is not nearly as good at that.

So . . . I would probably recommend P90X3 for you right now. You could get the Body Series at a later date when you'd had a little break from Dasha's format. But truly, you won't go wrong with either one.

Gwynn

Thank you so much for everyone's replies. I always enjoy reading about people's experience, especially if we have similar workout preferences. It looks like it's P90X3, then. I can't wait to start once I get it from Mary.

I don't think I can do pull ups at this time (one of the reasons I stayed away from P90X all this time). But b/c of this forum, I found out you can modify with pull downs with a resistance band on a door attachment. Does anyone have any recommendations for the kind of band? I have the freebie band from Michelle Dozois' Peak Fit system, but I remember it being very stiff.
readcookrun is offline   Reply With Quote