Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-13, 08:22 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I think I want to take the plunge on P57...

In the past, I've shied away from Physique 57 because of Tanya Becker's personality (or what I could see of it in previews) and the fast pace. I like barre and mostly like Fluidity (even though these dvds don't get a lot of love on the forum) or the occasional live barre class. (I've taken Bar Method classes along with another boutique studio barre class...I recently purchased a 5-class pack for Barre Bee Fit and will try those out sometime after the new year.)

However, I've been reading Nuggie's Auntie's blog...and now I want to do a P57 rotation. I'm thinking P57 3-4 times per week mixed with walking and Classical Stretch. I would love to hear your experience with this set....I would purchase Volumes 1 and 2.

Also, does anyone know if they will have a sale for the New Year? Of course, I just missed the 25% sale that happened on Black Friday.
Old 12-15-13, 08:34 PM  
Darisa

I haven't done barre workouts in a long time even though I adore that genre of exercise. Anyway, I think you would love P57. The instruction is top notch, the music is fun and I think Tanya is a hoot. But I think the same of Jennifer from JNL so take that with a grain of salt LOL. Hopefully someone who has done these recently can give you a better idea if these would be the right fit for you.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 09:05 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darisa View Post
I haven't done barre workouts in a long time even though I adore that genre of exercise. Anyway, I think you would love P57. The instruction is top notch, the music is fun and I think Tanya is a hoot.
Same here! Every different barre franchise definitely has its own "flavor," and P57 is VERY VERY DIFFERENT than Bar Method (and, I would guess, Fluidity). Instead of being low-key and relaxing (while gently killing you ), it's upbeat, fast-paced, and high-energy (and pretends to be fun while killing you). I think Tanya is HILARIOUS, and she's probably my very favorite thing about P57--her attitude will get you through the sets. I have Set #1 and the Bonus workout from the book, but I think the very best workout in the whole series is Volume 1 Express. AMAZING workout, killer standing leg sequence. All over in 30 short-but-painful-but-fun minutes.

Oh, this is making me want to pull out that DVD for tonight's workout... but it's been too long since I've done barre & I kind of need to be able to walk tomorrow. Alas.
Old 12-15-13, 09:12 PM  
momofcha

I love P57! I find it much more "fun" than bar method. It's definitely faster paced. As much as I hate their streaming, maybe try a class there first to get a feel for their barre flavor?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 09:36 PM  
koinonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Same here! Every different barre franchise definitely has its own "flavor," and P57 is VERY VERY DIFFERENT than Bar Method (and, I would guess, Fluidity). Instead of being low-key and relaxing (while gently killing you ), it's upbeat, fast-paced, and high-energy (and pretends to be fun while killing you). I think Tanya is HILARIOUS, and she's probably my very favorite thing about P57--her attitude will get you through the sets. I have Set #1 and the Bonus workout from the book, but I think the very best workout in the whole series is Volume 1 Express. AMAZING workout, killer standing leg sequence. All over in 30 short-but-painful-but-fun minutes.
Everything PrairieGem says here is spot on. I was pretty content doing Fluidity and Barre Method but once I tried P57, I traded away all my other barre dvds. Tanya is a riot, and a great motivator. She pushed me out of my comfort zone of doing easier/mellow barre and challenged me to work harder. As a result, I've become stronger and more open to trying other advance level workouts, which I previously shied away from.

As far as results, I didn't have any weight to lose when I did P57, but it did give me the best butt I've ever had.
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 09:45 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
However, I've been reading Nuggie's Auntie's blog...and now I want to do a P57 rotation. I'm thinking P57 3-4 times per week mixed with walking and Classical Stretch. I would love to hear your experience with this set....I would purchase Volumes 1 and 2.

Also, does anyone know if they will have a sale for the New Year? Of course, I just missed the 25% sale that happened on Black Friday.
Seriously, they need to give me a t-shirt.

Here's a thought: the paperback edition of the book comes with a 30 minute compilation DVD. The book is maybe $10? It's a great way to try it out, and the book has some very yummy recipes and describes the exercises well.

Also, from time to time they sell the DVDs on QVC. They're not selling now, but the QVC deals are always pretty sweet!

Of course, I'm obsessed with Physique 57 so I'll never discourage you from getting the DVDs! They are BY FAR my most used videos, so even if I paid full-price, for me they are well worth it.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 10:12 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I just looked the book up on Amazon and neither the description nor any of the reviews say anything about a DVD coming with it

ETA: Oops. My mistake. I was looking at the Kindle edition. I just ordered the paperback - that comes with a DVD - for $13.37.

Thanks for the heads up, Nuggie's Auntie.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 10:21 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Seriously, they need to give me a t-shirt.
Yes, they do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I just looked the book up on Amazon and neither the description nor any of the reviews say anything about a DVD coming with it
*ETA: Glad you found it Joni! I'm going to look on YouTube for the videos you mention below. Thank you!* The new paperback release has a red sticker on it that says "Bonus Full Body Workout DVD":

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0446585343/...=I8NIH47VEL7CE

I'm considering the book purchase and possibly one or two streaming videos on the P57 website to see if this set is for me. I've read some reviews in researching this set that indicates that P57 releases a lot of endorphins and really makes you feel good. I'm hoping this is the case, as I am getting ready to start studying to sit for the CPA exam soon, which is a strenuous process, and I'm looking for something that can elevate my mood while helping me get through this process.
Old 12-15-13, 10:26 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Just found 3 short workouts on YouTube by Alisha of Physique 57 - arms, bottom line and thighs. I like her.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 11:34 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
I've read some reviews in researching this set that indicates that P57 releases a lot of endorphins and really makes you feel good. I'm hoping this is the case, as I am getting ready to start studying to sit for the CPA exam soon, which is a strenuous process, and I'm looking for something that can elevate my mood while helping me get through this process.
Good luck with the CPA exam! I took it many years ago (30+ years ago); you couldn't pay me enough to have to study for it now and take it at my age ...

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p57, physique 57, tanya becker