Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-15, 02:55 PM  
marmact

"Someone tried to log into your VF account more than five times"

What is going on with this? I know I've read other people having this issue. I got a notification this morning that it happened to me--someone attempted my login at least five times. Of course I changed my password, etc., but what in the world could anyone be hoping to achieve by hacking accounts here? Do they think we have cc information stored here or that passwords will be replicable elsewhere?

At any rate, I'd advise people to change your VF password and make it different from other passwords you may use elsewhere.

I wish the world wasn't full of so many losers looking to capitalize on others, ugh.
Old 03-29-15, 03:23 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

There are a couple of threads on this, including info from WWWendy about it. Not sure these are real people - just bots. I couldn't find the threads to post the links.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 03:36 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Here's a recent thread about this:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ferrerid=27721
Old 03-29-15, 03:43 PM  
Candice
VF Supporter

This is what Wendy recently told me:

There has been a big bump worldwide in automated bots (mostly from foreign countries) attempting to log in to vBulletin forums around the world. They are randomly hitting thousands of logins simultaneously. Many forum managers are reporting this problem. The good news is the bots get locked out after a few incorrect attempts and emails like the one you got are auto-generated. The purpose of the bots seems to be to try to access an account with an easily guessed password and generate spam. Unless you have an easy to guess password you are unlikely to be affected other than getting emails like this one. I am blocking IP addresses as I get them, but it doesn't seem to be very effective to the # of IP addresses involved.
Candice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 04:12 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
but what in the world could anyone be hoping to achieve by hacking accounts here? Do they think we have cc information stored here or that passwords will be replicable elsewhere?
I wondered about this too, but the question seemed to be at least partly answered when a VF account appeared to be hacked and the likely hacked account sent out spam PMs to lots of VF members, probably hoping some people would click on the link in the spam PM.

Here's a thread: VF Spam

Quote:
As I mentioned in two other threads (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=208543 and http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=208913), what I believe happened is that one of those bots that has been hitting vBulletin installations worldwide trying to log in to accounts happened to hit a VF account with a weak password so the bot got access to the account and used it to send these spam pm's. I do not think the pm originated from the "real" member jenlet99.

I have changed the password on that account to something more secure. I also have disabled this account from sending pms for the time being and was able to globally delete pms sent by this user.

If your VF account has an easily guessed password like "password" or "123456" or something like that, I STRONGLY recommend changing it to something more secure. A bot only gets a few tries until it gets locked out.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 07:47 PM  
Demeris

They're relentless. I'm really glad I changed mine when we had the first round. I just got the notice that they tried 5 times and are locked out.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 02:17 PM  
imhere2dance

I got an e-mail a couple of days ago. It happened sometime before 2:00 AM while I was asleep. The only reason I didn't panic is because I remember seeing a thread about it a short time ago.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 04:09 PM  
goldengirl

I read this thread yesterday and decided to change my password. This morning I got at email informing me that someone had tried to access my account. The IP address was in China.
goldengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-15, 10:04 AM  
abseasky

Same here

I haven't been on here for a long time so was surprised to see this email with 5 login attempts yesterday. I change my password but am glad to hear it's not too much of a concern. The IP address came from China too.
Old 05-01-15, 11:16 AM  
KayB
VF Supporter

I changed my password as well. Now I'm also logging out when I finish reading. I used to just stay logged in.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spam, spam pm