Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-14, 01:36 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
One thing I thought of when you first posted this is that it's not so much that the trend is going away from heavy lifting but more that those VF'ers who like to lift heavier are not visiting the forum as much. I think a lot of people that work out like that, and are not into barre or TA type stuff, aren't coming around as much compared to when I first started posting on VF.

I also think in the general fitness world (besides VF) the trend is actually increasingly going toward heavier lifting for women. I see it all the time on places like reddit.
agreed.

many of our "heavy lifters" have wandered over to crossfit

I've notice that the trend here is more discussion about appearance goals rather than fitness

not that that is a bad thing!
I love my venus factor
Old 09-25-14, 01:39 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Now that I'm doing primarily Crossfit I'm lifting SUBSTANTIALLY heavier than I ever did at home. Deadlifting 185#, back squatting 135#, front squatting 110#, for example. In addition to getting much, much stronger, my legs and glutes have never been leaner - resulting in pants that are all fitting much looser. FWIW, I've probably gained about 5# but am getting smaller in clothing sizes - where I was typically a size 6 in pants, I'm now a 4. I didn't go into this to lose weight or size, it's just happening as an after effect.
Your weights are totally amazing! Way to go!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 01:42 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I do both. I mix very heavy weights with lighter weights and even just bodyweight.

I have a 60lb vest that I use for lower body so I don't have to hold on to such heavy weights and I can maintain better form.

I have Body Beast and lots of Cathe's and others that give me that heavy workout I like but easily modified with lighter weights.

Can't go wrong with bodyweight for lower body! Again, great way to focus on form without worrying about weights and I always get a burn.

I, personally, like the muscle I see in my legs, especially my quads. I've always had bigger legs, so I just work with what I have and try to get stronger and stronger.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 01:46 PM  
PennyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
I'm going for both strength and vanity and I've found that the right combination (for strength + shape) for me has become Jari Love, Classic Firms, Tonique and BBL. I've gotten much stronger in my lower body yet I'm also avoiding bulk, which is what was happening to me when I used to do a lot of Cathe.

Compared to what others are lifting for, say, Body Beast, I'm not lifting heavy. I'm about where Pat58 is with weights for the lower body. For me, that's heavier than I had been using in the past plus I'm doing strength training more frequently during the week, especially since I've stopped during barre and TA and started doing The Firm. I'm getting stronger in my lower body yet I'm smaller than ever (from a size 6/8 to a size 2/4) with a nice shape to my legs (according to hubby).
How often/long are you strength training a week? Are you doing cardio too?
That's awesome results you're getting strength, size wise, and hubby's compliments!!!

Last edited by PennyK; 09-25-14 at 01:48 PM. Reason: reword
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 02:12 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
How often/long are you strength training a week? Are you doing cardio too?
That's awesome results you're getting strength, size wise, and hubby's compliments!!!
Thanks. I try to mix it up. Some weeks, I only get in 2 sessions and I'm doing more cardio, but there are many weeks where I'm doing some sort of strength training 3 times a week. I never used to do that. Also, doing my BBL rotation made me realize that my legs respond well to ankle-weight work (which fits in well with my new love of the old Firms).

For example, during the week of Sept 14 (I keep my rotations in a spreadsheet), I did Firm Vol 2, Firm Total Body Shaping Mix, and Tough Tape 2. A year ago, I never would have used weights that often in one week. My other workouts for that week were Tonique Femme Fatale, Bodyfit 360, and Tracie Long Better Burn, Better Buns.

There was another week recently when I did Tracie Long Leaning Out, Jari GR1000 and Firm Vol 1. Again, more strength training than I was doing last year.

Adding in the Firms has increased my strength training time from what it used to be while not completely getting away from cardio.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 02:12 PM  
marmact

Quote:
One thing I thought of when you first posted this is that it's not so much that the trend is going away from heavy lifting but more that those VF'ers who like to lift heavier are not visiting the forum as much. I think a lot of people that work out like that, and are not into barre or TA type stuff, aren't coming around as much compared to when I first started posting on VF.

I also think in the general fitness world (besides VF) the trend is actually increasingly going toward heavier lifting for women. I see it all the time on places like reddit.
I agree with this. I think a lot of people who work out in certain ways have gravitated away from VF. I wished I liked the layout of reddit more, but I just can't stand it, LOL.
Old 09-25-14, 02:24 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
One thing I thought of when you first posted this is that it's not so much that the trend is going away from heavy lifting but more that those VF'ers who like to lift heavier are not visiting the forum as much
Or just don't have anything to say about it, really. I am taking a temporary break from "heavy", but that's more to do with scheduling and work. However it is the foundation of most of my programs and I incorporate it for more than half of the year. That is to say, at least 9 out of the 12 months involve some form of it.

But, it is usually on paper, either book or self-designed, so I just don't have much to say about it on a video oriented forum.

Heavy-ish lifting will always be a priority for me. Because ageing. Because strong.

eta: heavy to me is defined by rep range. Typically, 8-10 (maybe 12-15 during the adaptation stage) then eventually down to 4-6 per set, within a program.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 01:23 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
Your weights are totally amazing! Way to go!
Thanks Kate - but I am most definitely the newbie in the gym. These women are STRONG - so motivating and inspiring. Can't wait to crack 150# squat and 200# deadlift - it's coming!!!!!

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-14, 03:42 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
I do both. I mix very heavy weights with lighter weights and even just bodyweight.

I have a 60lb vest that I use for lower body so I don't have to hold on to such heavy weights and I can maintain better form.

I have Body Beast and lots of Cathe's and others that give me that heavy workout I like but easily modified with lighter weights.

Can't go wrong with bodyweight for lower body! Again, great way to focus on form without worrying about weights and I always get a burn.

I, personally, like the muscle I see in my legs, especially my quads. I've always had bigger legs, so I just work with what I have and try to get stronger and stronger.

This is the way I train also. I added TA three years ago, but I do her lower body workout three days a week. I do heavier strength work and bodyweight circuits 3 days a week. All of my strength work are my own workouts. I haven't used DVDs in about 3 years.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heavy lifting, lower body