Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-14, 01:28 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
What's the rotation everyone is following?
Looks like we're all following various plans and rotations. Joyce has a bunch of rotations posted on her website. I'm doing a modified version of her Super
Shake-Up Plan and am adding on yoga, Pilates, walking, and rebounding. I also usually take a rest day in the middle of the week.

Week One:
Day 1 Bottoms Up Upper Body
Day 2 Bottoms Up Lower Body
Day 3 Speedy Non-Stop Upper Body
Day 4 Speedy Non-Stop Lower Body OR Bathing Suit Workout
Day 5 Dynamic Tension, First Half
Day 6 Dynamic Tension, Second Half
Day 7 Interval Aerobics or Easy Stretch (Optional)

Week Two:
Day 1 Fast Forward Cycle I
Day 2 Fast Forward Cycle II
Day 3 Fast Forward Cycle III
Day 4 Interval Aerobics or Easy Stretch
Day 5 Weight Training Made Easier Day 1
Day 6 Weight Training Made Easier Day 2

Week Three:
Day 1 Fat Burning Workout Upper Body
Day 2 Fat Burning Workout Lower Body
Day 3 Bone Building Body Shaping Total Body
Day 4 Bathing Suit Workout
Day 5 Speedy Non-Stop Upper Body
Day 6 Speedy Non-Stop Lower Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
Joyce says in the book that the upright rows work the entire trapezius with a small benefit to the biceps. My dumbbell book and chart from Productive Fitness both say that upright rows work the upper trapezius, the brachialis, and the anterior and mid deltoids. Productive Fitness also modifies the exercise so that the dumbbells never go above mid-chest level. They put a warning in red, no less, that raising the dumbbells higher can hurt the shoulder.
Good information to know! I think I'm OK if I modify or use a substitute exercise.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 01:37 PM  
pharma_gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
Looks like we're all following various plans and rotations. Joyce has a bunch of rotations posted on her website. I'm doing a modified version of her Super
Shake-Up Plan and am adding on yoga, Pilates, walking, and rebounding. I also usually take a rest day in the middle of the week.

Week One:
Day 1 Bottoms Up Upper Body
Day 2 Bottoms Up Lower Body
Day 3 Speedy Non-Stop Upper Body
Day 4 Speedy Non-Stop Lower Body OR Bathing Suit Workout
Day 5 Dynamic Tension, First Half
Day 6 Dynamic Tension, Second Half

Week Two:
Day 1 Fast Forward Cycle I
Day 2 Fast Forward Cycle II
Day 3 Fast Forward Cycle III
Day 4 Interval Aerobics or Easy Stretch
Day 5 Weight Training Made Easier Day 1
Day 6 Weight Training Made Easier Day 2

Week Three:
Day 1 Fat Burning Workout Upper Body
Day 2 Fat Burning Workout Lower Body
Day 3 Bone Building Body Shaping Total Body
Day 4 Bathing Suit Workout
Day 5 Speedy Non-Stop Upper Body
Day 6 Speedy Non-Stop Lower Body

Good information to know! I think I'm OK if I modify or use a substitute exercise.
Joan - Thank you so much. I don't have all these workouts but I may be able to substitute them. Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 02:32 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Joan - Thank you so much. I don't have all these workouts but I may be able to substitute them. Thanks!
You're welcome! Another nice thing about splits is that they're easy to substitute with another lower/upper body workout.

I have lots of Joyce rotations in Word files if anyone is interested. Just PM me and I'll be happy to email them to you.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
Old 07-11-14, 02:34 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
i'm currently using her Definition book from the public library.

i haven't been too consistent with it - mostly doing yoga and cardio - the past week, though, but i plan to do Definition (Dragon Lady rotation) this weekend.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 04:03 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Definition was too much volume for me. I'm following 12-Minute Workout. I love, love, love doing some weight work every day, so this fits the bill for me.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 04:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Definition was too much volume for me. I'm following 12-Minute Workout. I love, love, love doing some weight work every day, so this fits the bill for me.
thanks for the tip - i have 12MW book at home.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 04:44 PM  
kali1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Seriously Kali??? You're here too?????

I don't need any Joyce's, but I don't know if I can resist the Joyce's... is Joyce good for a split routine? I'm currently loving Margaret Richards Sculpture as a split, and I'm feeling the pull to Joyce, because I love the low key, not heavy sweat in the summer, just lift weights of Margaret. Would Joyce make me happy?
you should know me by now....lol! I've been lurking and reading some of the old Joyce threads and I'm looking at her 6 deal and I feel myself caving.
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 06:03 AM  
pollytc

I'm excited to start a JV rotation. I might add some pilates and/or barre in.

Does anyone here use or have her Interval Aerobics? I don't have that one and was thinking of using a cardio I have, which is a lot!
Old 07-12-14, 11:26 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollytc View Post
I'm excited to start a JV rotation. I might add some pilates and/or barre in.

Does anyone here use or have her Interval Aerobics? I don't have that one and was thinking of using a cardio I have, which is a lot!
Pilates is a great accompaniment, I think!

I've got Interval Aerobics but have yet to try it. It's on my rotation, though, so I'll be trying it soon, using the rebounder for the aerobic intervals.

Old 07-12-14, 03:11 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I pulled out Speedy Nonstop. I had forgotten I had it! I did the upper body workout--back exercises are done with the lower body workout, so upper body is biceps, triceps, shoulders and chest.

It goes up the pyramid (not down) and is definitely speedy. Since I haven't done a weight workout in awhile, I used my lightest weights (3/5/8). I kept up, but when I graduate to heavier weights, I'll need to pause the DVD. I simply can't lift heavy weights quickly with good form. I ordered her Bone Building workout--apparently the pace is slower.

I did two of the three ab sets on Speedy Nonstop and used the third set to stretch my abs. Frankly I think Joyce's ab work is (a) overkill and (b) really hard on the neck--tons of different types of crunches. I'll probably skip it next time; I get plenty of core work with yoga. I'll do Speedy Nonstop a few times a week for the next few weeks and see how it goes.

I do like the fact that I'm not spending 45 minutes to an hour working my upper body. Joyce's workouts are quite efficient. However, when the weights get heavier, I'll need to go more slowly. Still, I bet I could do the upper body workout with heavier weights in less than a half hour, and that's great. I'd still have time for a 15-20 minute yoga routine.

I'm glad to see this thread. Joyce has been a real pioneer, and she's been around for a long time. Her workouts are very effective.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamic tension, fast forward, joyce vedral, top shape, weight loss, weights only