Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-24-20, 10:45 AM  
Sissy B

Thursday, 9/17 - 2222 steps/0.94 miles
Friday, 9/18 - 9142 steps/3.87 miles
Saturday, 9/19 - 5712 steps/2.42 miles
Sunday, 9/20 - 4857 steps/2.06 miles
Monday, 9/21 - 6197 steps/2.62 miles
Tuesday, 9/22 - 8310 steps/3.52 miles
Wednesday, 9/23 - 7229 steps/3.06 miles
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-20, 11:28 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
Jeannine - Are you using the Charge 2? My DH had one and loved it! He only upgraded to the Charge 3 when he had to since they're not making the 2 anymore. It will count steps as long as you are wearing it, but it won't sync automatically unless your computer is on, with the dongle connected and you're within a certain range of the computer.
Hey Sissy! thank you for this great info. when i was setting it up, it asked me for the dongle or to make sure my laptop's bluetooth (i have Windows 10) was on. my FitBit did not come with a dongle and in the setup, it gave you the option of buying one..... i was like, what? i have to buy something more?

but fortunately in the same screen of that setup on my laptop, it said that the reason for this message was because the FitBit was communicating with "another Bluetooth" (DH's computer) and advised that i turn it off. i thought that was really odd because my FitBit was plugged into my laptop, charging, and if that wasn't enough to make a direct connection, how could it be confused?

i've been up for about 45 min, and was able to do a breathing session on the breathing menu of the FitBit.

any tips on the sleeping aspect of this? i'm guessing i'll need to sync it with my laptop to see what sleep data it collected.

for steps, i noticed mine is very sensitive. this morning alone, i barely walked and it's recorded 120 steps.

so far, it's motivating me to work out - at least in my mind! it's been years since i wore a pedometer, much less my old HRM (which died out a few years ago).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-20, 12:26 PM  
Sissy B

Jeannine - Don’t buy a dongle. I have several and I’ll be glad to send you one if you need it. Syncing on the computer can be interesting. I haven’t synced that way in a while but I do remember it trying to pick up my DD or DH’s Fitbits instead of mine if they were too close to my laptop when I was trying to sync mine.

If you don’t wear it while you’re sleeping it won’t record any data. If you do decide to wear it while you’re sleeping you’ll need to sync it to get that information. I will say though that when I had an Alta it wasn’t always very accurate at tracking my sleep, usually recording more sleep that I was getting. At least once it showed me sleeping for 17 hours even after I had gotten up and was moving around - it recorded my steps - and another time it showed me taking a 2 hour nap that I had not taken.
Old 09-24-20, 01:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
Jeannine - Don’t buy a dongle. I have several and I’ll be glad to send you one if you need it. Syncing on the computer can be interesting. I haven’t synced that way in a while but I do remember it trying to pick up my DD or DH’s Fitbits instead of mine if they were too close to my laptop when I was trying to sync mine.

If you don’t wear it while you’re sleeping it won’t record any data. If you do decide to wear it while you’re sleeping you’ll need to sync it to get that information. I will say though that when I had an Alta it wasn’t always very accurate at tracking my sleep, usually recording more sleep that I was getting. At least once it showed me sleeping for 17 hours even after I had gotten up and was moving around - it recorded my steps - and another time it showed me taking a 2 hour nap that I had not taken.
haha! okay - yes -i am interested in any dongle - i can send you postage too - PM me and i can arrange amazon giftcard or paypal personal.

so the sleep tracker - do i just sync, and then see if it shows up on my dashboard? or do i just look at my fitbit?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 09-24-20, 05:05 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

my Charge 2 is over sensitive in counting "steps" that are really coming from my hand.

i went to the FitBit community thread and it said to restart it. i did that. can someone confirm if this is the correct thing to do to lower its sensitivity?

Old 09-25-20, 09:26 AM  
Sissy B

Thursday, 9/24 - 5032 steps/2.13 miles

Jeannine
- I never tried to correct the sensitivity, but I know that when I was wearing an Alta that the steps did vary with arm movements. If I was pushing the shopping cart in the grocery store with both hands it did not record all of my steps and once I got 300 steps in about 10 seconds when I was at a baseball game with DD from clapping and ringing a cowbell - my feet didn't move.

PM your address and I'll send you a dongle.

I went and got my hair colored and cut yesterday.

SEC college football starts tomorrow. We are ready! War Eagle & Hail State!!!
Old 09-25-20, 01:37 PM  
dbclark44

Hello ladies.

Sissy, we stayed in MS, and the wedding was over the bridge in TN at Graceland. No reception and a very small wedding party which was fine with DH and I.

Chrys, I am so sorry you're having to see the ugliness of people when they don't get their way. There is a lot of that going around.

Leslie, glad the high blood pressure med is working for you and you are diligent to stay on top of that.

I haven't done much working out at home. Haven't lifted any weights or done any workout since last Monday when I did an STS workout with Cathe. But I have been walking and trying to make it to the pool at least 3X a week.

Our Friday morning bowl league secretary passed away this past Wed, She was only 71. They found her lying dead in her front yard. She lost her husband 2.5 years ago. I saw Bev every week so this is hitting close to home.

So between walking and the pool I am managing to keep off the 20# I've lost since March. Some people gained while staying at home. I on the other hand lost weight. Now I just want to keep it off.

Yesterday I walked 2.5 miles around the Carlyle Lake dam. That is quite a walk, little on the rolling hills side.

Wed, I hit up 5 different ladies to come out and walk with me. Granted, it was short notice (I gave them 90 minute notice) but didn't get one taker. So ended up having a very lovely walk around the lake trail I like alone.

So as you see I'm keeping it moving!

I haven't checked in for 2 weeks so no way am I gonna post all my past workouts and step count. I am moving. Have a great weekend ladies.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-20, 08:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

regarding my question about the fitbit registering your hand movements, i found this thread from general:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=219066

the answer would be to secure it in your pocket in you want a better count of steps taken with your legs.

that said, my reading for yesterday was 10,500 steps.

Old 09-26-20, 09:03 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Deb, I could meet you at Carlyle Lake Dam sometime. Give me a heads up and we can pre-plan taking into account weather and our schedules. I have a friend who lives close to the lake. Her backyard has access to a path heading down to one of the beaches (not private beach of course, but community access and very quiet). I've not walked the dam (yet) but want to try it out. I'm at the top of my 5 pound weight range. Good for you losing 20 pounds!

I went straight from the fitbit zip to the Inspire HR earlier this year. I don't know anything about the other fitbits. The Inspire HR doesn't need a dongle. I bought an aftermarket clip for the Inspire. I use the clip during the day and the wristband at night (to record sleep)
Old 09-26-20, 10:15 PM  
cdayley

Hi, ladies. I did a treadmill walk today. I just haven't felt like doing much after work this week. I think you could cut the stress at school with a knife, it's so thick. Makes me sad.

Leslie, I'm going to look at Inspires and clips, because I just had to take out my last flex. The one I was using wouldn't hold a charge anymore.
Jeannine, welcome! Sounds like you are getting your fitbit setup and adjusted
deb, I'm so sorry about your friend
Sissy, hooray for football!
Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitbit, fitbit charge 2, fitness tracker, fitness trackers