Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-29-20, 08:44 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I missed checking in yesterday, it was:

Ellen - Power 15

Ellen - Quick Fix - this was her new workout for October, it is all floorwork - Pilates/Yoga blend

Pilates Nest - Rise & Shine Workout Retreat Day 1 - I got an e-mail from Smriti - offering this free five day challenge and since i haven't done any of her workouts lately I decided to sign up. I enjoyed the workout - it was mainly core as I recall.

Outdoor Walk w/ DD

Today, so far, has been:

Pilates Next - Rise & Shine Workout Retreat Days 2 and 3 - Day 2 was standing and balance and day 3 was stretching.

I plan to walk later today w/ DD.

MY foot is improving, I can tell b/c even if I do something that irritates it, it takes less time to feel better - I just have to be patient I guess. It sort of feels like shin splints across the top of my foot and into the lower part of my ankle. Weird. Especially since I don't recall hurting it - I was blaming it on my tightly laced shoes causing tendonitis - maybe that is what it is, maybe not?

I wonder if Smriti will offer a discount after the challenge? If so, I may sign up for a month...we'll see. I'm late to the party, but I enjoyed her style. And, it doesn't seem like she closes her membership down - it seems it is always open to join - which I really appreciate. I don't like these instructors that only open up membership a few times a year. They claim it is to focus on their members more, but I think it may be an attempt to get us to sign up based on FOMO.

I also got an offer from Blessful Body for $1 for 21 days...and 50% off her courses, but not sure I will bite on anything there. I do like her stuff, but it is a bit on the easier side and then it all starts to feel the same. Still, I may go for $1 for 21 days... LOL!

Sherry - I can't do the Ab work in the Exhale workouts either - which is funny b/c I can do Pilates. But it seems that they spend a lot of time in the "C" curve which doesn't make my back happy at all. There are modifications to Pilates that may make it possible for you to do it - but it is one of those things that may be more trouble than it is worth particularly if you don't have a burning desire to do Pilates and have other workouts you enjoy doing more. I don't feel that you "have" to do a particular type of workout to be fit/healthy - so if there is something you don't like or that doesn't work for you - I say leave it behind!

wishiwasinhawaii - yes, probably a week off my feet would do me good. I'm too restless though, LOL! I think it is getting better though. I'm considering starting Jessica's Healthy for the Holidays this week. It looks like a good mix of workouts that will up the intensity a bit for me and will still not be too foot intensive.

waves. Tracy and Pam!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 11:25 AM  
Leonana

I think today will be yoga, but this evening. I'm so stiff and sore. I think I might bail on the Exhale dvd, lol. I have a bad crick in my neck today, although that is probably from sleeping wrong.

Donna, I'm glad your foot is getting better. Perhaps it was your shoes. I thought I could loosen the straps on my Birk sandals, but nope! It doesn't give me enough support. The top of my left foot started hurting, and the PF came back in my right foot. I thought of you, because my left foot hurt on top, beneath my toes, but disappeared when I tightened the straps again. Although, your problem was too tight shoes. I loosened them because the tightness was developing a callus on the top of my right foot. I guess I need to get some CeraVe Cream!

I think Pilates is wonderful and wish I could do it. I find that I do better if I stick to Jessica. I think it's because she has functional fitness moves. Someone in GD recommended Justina Ercole's channel. She is a Zoom instructor who specializes in low impact strength work. She has a few workouts on her channel, and lots of helpful tips videos. Her video on functional fitness was enlightening, and her recommended exercises were similar to what Jessica incorporates into her workouts. I wonder if that's why Jessica works so well for me. Justina also has a video on crunches that completely matched my experience with the move, and her alternative moves are ones that I usually modify with. I wish she had more workouts on her channel or a streaming service. You can sign up for live workouts, but that's a specific day and time, and I'd rather do the workout at my leisure.
Old 11-30-20, 10:15 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Running a bit off schedule today - I guess getting back to the routine after the holiday has thrown me off!

Yesterday, DD and I did our long walk. Hoping to keep that up through the winter....especially w/ COVID....it is good for us both to get out on the weekends....

Yesterday evening I did Yoga w/ Adriene - Anchor in Hope practice, which was a short and sweet one.

Today, so far, has been:

Pahla B - 25 Min Dumbbell Workout for Women Over 50 - pretty standard Pahla stuff in this one - not a bad thing. I like the way she can get it done in a short amount of time!

Blessful Body - Hip Strength & Mobility - a nice one to do, particularly after our walk yesterday.

Rainy and dreary here today.

I did succumb and I signed up for Blessful Body - it was $1 for 21 days. I'll see if I renew at the end of the time. I do enjoy her stuff - it is gentle and a fusion of Pilates and Yoga. Very low on the dread factor.

I was going to start Healthy for the Holidays, but then Pahla sucked me in. LOL, I guess I can start tomorrow or next week, LOL!

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna
Old 11-30-20, 08:26 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was a wildcard workout on the Healthy for the Holidays schedule so I did a random Jessica walking workout. My knee has been bothering me so I'm taking it easy this week. It seems to be working so far.

Crazy weather here today with wind, rain, thunder, lightning and warm temps. I stayed in, but I was outside doing yard work yesterday.

Donna, $1 for 21 days sounds like a good deal.

Sherry, I've found that functional fitness works best for me too. I'm looking at Justina Ercole's channel now and I agree she has good tips!
Old 11-30-20, 09:33 PM  
Leonana

I took a rest day because my neck is very sore. It was painful enough that I took a Tylenol, and I rarely take pain medication. Thankfully, it eased the pain considerably. I looked it up, and you are still supposed to exercise with neck strain, otherwise it gets stiff. I’ve been stretching it, but I felt it made it more sore. It did feel better this morning, but started hurting more as I moved through the day. I think it was due to the Exhale workout. That one is going back to Goodwill!

Donna, $1 sounds like a great deal.

wishiwasinhawaii, I’m going to try one of Justina’s you tube workouts, once my neck feels better.
Old 12-01-20, 08:42 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Pahla B - Fun & Sweaty 25 Min Power Walk for Women Over 50 - just what it sounds like from Pahla! Walking interspersed w/ various cardio moves.

Blessful Body - Posture Party - I think I will stick w/ Blessful Body until my 21 days runs out - her stuff is a little different - it is not all Pilates - but includes some Yoga and barre as well.

Jessica Valent - PT for Herniated Discs - I don't have one, that I'm aware of, but this contained some good back strengthening and stabilizing exercises.

Sherry - sorry about your neck! And, thanks for the You Tube recommendation. I hope everything feels better soon.

wishiwasinhawaii -hope your knee is doing ok

Hope everyone has a good day - a bit chilly today after some warm temps over the weekend....

waves, Pam and Tracy

Take care,

Donna
Old 12-01-20, 01:04 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Since my treadmill and yoga routine got boring, I got out of the exercise habit again....hence my lack of posting regularly, also.

I'd thought about going back to Jessica's Holiday workout in December, but ended up doing Cathe's LITE PHA 2 (Timersaver #1 premix) today. Need to get back to using some weights since I've been so wimpy with fitness workouts.

I was hoping for Jessica's newest DVDs, though pilates doesn't thrill me. Another discipline I've gotten away from.

Hope everyone is well and had a Happy Thanksgiving! I cooked a big spread for just DH and myself (and we're still eating leftovers.) Though, I'm getting creative with what to do with all the turkey. Yesterday was turkey veggie stew, and tonight will be turkey enchiladas.

Have a good day/week everyone! Missed you all, so have some catching up to do!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 06:38 PM  
Leonana

Today was Jessica's Standing Strength Workout from You Tube. My neck is still very sore, but much better. I broke down yesterday and took a Tylenol, it was pretty painful. But I had a good night's sleep and it's much improved today. According to my googling, I'm supposed to be working out to keep it limber, and today's workout did seem to help a bit.

Pam, nice to see you back! I'm hoping Jessica has some more dvds than those two. Your leftovers sound good! We had Thanksgiving with just the three of us, and had leftovers for a couple of days.

Donna, I saw the new Pahla walk. I might do it this week.
Old 12-02-20, 08:44 AM  
donnamp

hi Everyone,

Lucy Wyndham Read posted an Advent Challenge:

https://www.lwrfitness.com/fitness-advent-calendar/

and, I think I'm going to focus on that leading up until Christmas. With my Pilates, Yoga and whatever else I feel like adding in.

So, last night I did the Winter Wonderland workout which was cute - 11 moves or so w/ 11 different winter backdrops.

Today was day 2 and was a longer workout - 30 min - 20 moves. Her stuff is extremely basic and easy to follow. It reminds me a bit of Slim in 6, Slim Series as it is high rep, mainly body weight - in fact, it may be all body weight - I don't know if she has any weight workouts - it is cardio/tone for the most part. The sets are not all that exciting and there is no music, so those are the downsides. Of course, you could play your own music as everything is pretty easy to follow and you don't even really need to listen to her cues.

I finished w/ Pilates Next - 5 day challenge - Day 5 -

I hope to be able to get out for a walk. I'm feeling a bit down today - I think in part b/c I have been in the house since Sunday - and it is now getting into the dark and dreary days...and also in part, b/c I'm concerned about the pending purchase of my daughter's horse. Did you ever get the feeling you were about to be completely taken advantage of? That is how I'm feeling right now. I wouldn't care so much if it wasn't going to affect my daughter - hopefully I'm just misinterpreting some signals, but suffice it to say, I wish if this was a no-go from the beginning that they would have been honest w/ us. My daughter is very attached to this horse which makes it more emotional - in fact, he has essentially been her emotional support during this pandemic and high school. On the one hand, I say, if it doesn't work out it may be a blessing in disguise, but I also know my daughter will be devastated. it is not good to be negotiating a business deal w/ high emotions....and as a mom, it is hard for me not to be emotionally invested in the outcome. Anyway - I know that whatever will be will be and we'll get through it somehow. And, maybe it will all work itself out.

Sorry to ramble!

Welcome back, Pam - it is good to see you!

Sherry - Glad you are feeling better. In general, i do think movement helps when something is stiff and sore. On a happy note, my foot is feeling much better! I think I will also do Pahla's walk - it is for moddiness, right - and I'm pretty darn moody today.

Waves, wishiwasinhawaii and Tracy!

I have a class this morning that I don't feel like attending...but duty calls.

Hope everyone has a good day - thanks for letting me vent!

Donna
Old 12-02-20, 02:28 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Today I continued on with Cathe's LITE series and did the Timersaver #1 Premix of Cardio Parties...sort of. I love Cathe's warmups (which feel like an actual workout to me) LOL. So, I did the WU twice through because she got to the step portion of the workout and it just moves so quickly. I could learn it, if I took it in small doses (which the premixes are supposed to be.) So, just skipped to the cool down and stretch after the warmup, ha!

Donna, I like the look of Lucy's stuff very much. I've been following a December Advent with daily devotional readings, and a fitness one would be perfect and maybe fun, too! So sorry about the horse situation.

Waves to everyone else! It's good to be here again! Thanks for welcoming me back!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith get strong