Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-20, 06:41 PM  
kat999

For years, my mom struggled to lose weight, and I gave her all kinds of advice when I had been successful at fitness things. It was only after she stopped asking me and found out what worked for her that she was finally HUGELY successful at reaching her goals. Now she gives ME unsolicited advice!
Old 11-30-20, 07:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
It was only after she stopped asking me and found out what worked for her that she was finally HUGELY successful at reaching her goals. Now she gives ME unsolicited advice!
what does she do? curious minds want to know! it's great when someone reaches their goals.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 03:25 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
what does she do? curious minds want to know! it's great when someone reaches their goals.
Haha, well, in her case it came down to some d*et stuff, but she also decided that traditional exercise just didn't work for her but that she didn't mind walking, so now she just walks up to 20,000 steps a day: slowly, not to a video, and just in her house. She walks while watching TV, walks while listening to music or podcasts, etc. Again, slowly, and over the course of a day. But she has lost I want to say something upwards of 75 pounds in a couple of years doing this. She's 70 years old and is getting down to the lowest weight she's been since I was born. I am completely stunned that she managed this at her age! Honestly, she really just got obsessed with her FitBit and tends to be a bit compulsive and into tracking numbers and data, so I guess this really works for her!
Old 12-02-20, 03:46 PM  
Gams

Even slowly, 20,000 steps a day is a lot! Good for her!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 05:03 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Haha, well, in her case it came down to some d*et stuff, but she also decided that traditional exercise just didn't work for her but that she didn't mind walking, so now she just walks up to 20,000 steps a day: slowly, not to a video, and just in her house. She walks while watching TV, walks while listening to music or podcasts, etc. Again, slowly, and over the course of a day. But she has lost I want to say something upwards of 75 pounds in a couple of years doing this. She's 70 years old and is getting down to the lowest weight she's been since I was born. I am completely stunned that she managed this at her age! Honestly, she really just got obsessed with her FitBit and tends to be a bit compulsive and into tracking numbers and data, so I guess this really works for her!
That is a great outcome!
It shows that when the question ‘help me, what are you doing for your health and fitness’ is asked, a better answer than relating what I have been doing is saying, ‘let’s find something you would like to do’
That actually might be hard but might get the person seriously thinking about it. I would rather find time to help out with that!
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 11:03 AM  
lingo10

Ive gotten that alot. Id say "try youtube or google, I dont have any useful answers."

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 01:00 PM  
BigBadBetty

I don't have any great advice just empathy. I lost about 50 lbs a year ago through a diet change. People ask what I did. When I tell some of them what I did, I get the "well that doesn't work." Well, look at me, it did work. Look at the medical journals, it has worked for many others.

The parallel to the fitness is that it took real work. It also took me retooling the habits that I have built for the last 47 years to make it stick. There is no motivation pill or juice. You just have to find more benefit in doing it that sticking to your status quo.

My blood pressure was going up. Losing the weight brought it back down. My high school friend's husband had a brain aneurysm brought on by high blood pressure. (He did recover.) I want to try to prevent the preventable things. There is enough stuff that you can't prevent to worry about.

I think people (myself included) want the miracle product that requires zero effort and has fast results. When you can't give them that, they give up.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 01:26 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagreen01 View Post
That is a great outcome!
It shows that when the question ‘help me, what are you doing for your health and fitness’ is asked, a better answer than relating what I have been doing is saying, ‘let’s find something you would like to do’
That actually might be hard but might get the person seriously thinking about it. I would rather find time to help out with that!
I like that approach. I have a couple of friends who ask for yoga recommendations and I've given them the same list multiple times as if it never happened previously.

Tags
advice