Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-20, 03:47 PM  
sherry7899

music affecting moods....

I am a music geek, so bear with me...hearing certain music brings back memories or can change my mood.

I was on my way to do grocery shopping (stressful now of course) when I heard Don Henley's song "Boys of Summer." That song always brings me back to 1989-it was the first summer with my now DH, and we saw Don Henley in concert (with Edie Brickell opening), and it was a summer filled with concerts, seeing friends and going to the beach.

Now hearing that song just made me sad, wondering when we will be able to do any of those simple things again. I am sorry to be a downer, but it just really hit me.

Thanks for listening,
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-20, 04:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i love that song for the same reasons you do. but it makes me happy and carefree. it represents a time when i started my first full time job after college, and i remember watching the video on MTV and VH1 all the time.

things will get better - there are signs.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-20, 05:13 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

The Eagles always take me to a happy summertime feeling but if I heard them now would I have that feeling? I understand. It’s like we are all living in a parallell universe, same same but different. The feeling is weird right now.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-20, 05:18 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am a music geek, so bear with me...hearing certain music brings back memories or can change my mood.

I was on my way to do grocery shopping (stressful now of course) when I heard Don Henley's song "Boys of Summer." That song always brings me back to 1989-it was the first summer with my now DH, and we saw Don Henley in concert (with Edie Brickell opening), and it was a summer filled with concerts, seeing friends and going to the beach.

Now hearing that song just made me sad, wondering when we will be able to do any of those simple things again. I am sorry to be a downer, but it just really hit me.

Thanks for listening,
Sherry
Also, one of my favorites! And I completely understand. ((hugs))
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-20, 05:58 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Yep, I can also really imagine what you were feeling. My morning DJ keeps talking about how he can't wait for concerts to begin again. The virtual from the living room concert isn't quite the same, though it is fun to see some of them.
Old 04-14-20, 06:03 PM  
Mickey12

Sherry, I understand that sad feeling. It has happened to me several times lately too when I am reminded of things we used to do that I loved so deeply and cannot do now. It makes me feel hopeless. Rationally I know that things will eventually get back to normal, but emotionally i feel like those things are gone from my life forever.

Sending hugs.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-20, 12:29 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I totally get it, Sherry. And of course music plays a HUGE role with our moods. If you can, preserve and protect that cool song as a happy memory of that eventful summer in your life and try not to let it bring you down. We need things that make us smile! For me it's getting to appreciate nature more than ever, watching it make its comeback in unexpected places and knowing that -even temporarily- the world is becoming a cleaner place.

As depressing as it sounds, I think of the 'Spanish' flu of 1918 (estimates of 50-100 million deaths worldwide, and this at a time when globalization wasn't yet a thing). As dreadful as that was back then - with no internet to keep us connected - we collectively got through it and life did once again normalize. Of course it'll happen again.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-20, 03:41 PM  
sugar rose

Sherry, I totally understand. Music can really transport you. I can't count the number of times I've started crying in the Trader Joe's when they played a song that brought back memories. I would have to stand close to a shelf and pretend to study a soup label till the song ended. Sending hugs to you.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-20, 04:38 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you so much for the hugs and support. I really appreciate it.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-20, 07:52 PM  
wendug

The other day driving home from the grocery store, the Logical Song by Supertramp came on the radio. I was immediately transported back to when I was a small child at my hometown swimming pool. I loved that place! I could even smell the suntan lotion and the corn dogs the concession stand sold. Hearing that song was like a warm hug of a wonderful memory. I love when moments like this happen!

Sherry- please cherish a happy memory and be glad it brightens your day. We could all use a little happiness through song these days!

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, music