Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-16, 04:35 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I think that folks are under the impression that this is a set just for beginners or that it is super easy. Jessica does have her mother show modifications, but some of the moves are quite rigorous. Including modified mountain climbers.

She could have called this set, Chopapalooza!, for all the wood chop moves in many of the workouts. (snip)
I guess what I am trying to say is to not think these are a walk in the park and go balls to the wall from the start.

Be careful out there!
I agree. These workouts are not going into my beginner pile any time soon. I need to boost my fitness level, so I'm sticking with this rotation for now, but it has been challenging. Also, I am one of those people with low back issues as well as hip issues, so I have to put on my thinking cap when doing Jessica workouts (like Abs 360). She likes to throw in abdominal/core work in many of her workouts (cardio and strength workouts) and I have to modify quite often. However, I've had to do that for years now, so I'm used to it. I suggest previewing the workouts first to see just what you all are in for!

Donna
Old 02-05-16, 04:46 PM  
donnamp

Good advice, Donna - I should look over my set before I jump in since i also have lower back, hip and SI joint issues.

Donna (another one! )
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 05:40 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Just a word of caution for the Upper and Lower Body workouts, as well. With Upper Body she works the shoulders pretty intensively, so go light to start with your first time through. The compound moves work upper and lower body, and a few of the exercises I wouldn't have combined together but if you go lighter with the weights you'll be okay. And, you can always have another set close by when you want to switch up to heavier for triceps and back. Lower Body she uses a weight behind the knee to work glutes and then a weight resting on the outer thigh when doing leg raises. Go light here, or use no weight at all until your used to the exercises. The pulses are killer and I still don't think I've made it through every rep yet!

I just did 360 Abs today and I this one! Like Alta, I made a comment regarding the number of wood chops in this workout in another thread. It seems like total overkill, but now that I've done the workout a number of times it really has become a favorite. The first time through I went too heavy with my weight and over twisted, so my back was a bit sore. Now, I keep the weight at only three pounds for most of the exercises and use smaller ranges of movement when twisting so much, and it works much better. She moves quickly from exercise to exercise, changing things up so I'm very satisfied when I've completed this one and in a very good mood! I much prefer standing ab work to anything on the floor, but Jessica ads a few floor exercises as well.

The variety in this whole set has been really nice! A set of workouts I've enjoyed and looked forward to!

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 06:58 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I use one of my old "Billy Balls" that came with some Tae Bo workout. It is a soft, round half-pound weight. You could also use a soft weighted glove.
I have those "Billy Balls" too! I am going to try Cardio Party & 360 abs tomorrow. I never go heavy on woodchops or any other abs workout. I will try to post my thoughts about the workouts after I do them.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 07:02 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
J

I just did 360 Abs today and I this one! Like Alta, I made a comment regarding the number of wood chops in this workout in another thread. It seems like total overkill, but now that I've done the workout a number of times it really has become a favorite. The first time through I went too heavy with my weight and over twisted, so my back was a bit sore. Now, I keep the weight at only three pounds for most of the exercises and use smaller ranges of movement when twisting so much, and it works much better.
I did 360 Abs again this morning, and I agree with all of your comments. In fact, I made a note 'never use more than 3# with this workout'. It's sufficient! I really like this workout. In fact, I really like all the ones I've done so far.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 11:38 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I like the look of this set a lot and I love Jessica, but the other thread got me thinking with the "pajama" intensity. I'm glad to hear they're not beginner/super easy workouts. How would it compare to PowerFit Harmony intensity wise? TIA

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-16, 12:54 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
I like the look of this set a lot and I love Jessica, but the other thread got me thinking with the "pajama" intensity. I'm glad to hear they're not beginner/super easy workouts. How would it compare to PowerFit Harmony intensity wise? TIA
More intense then Powerfit Harmony because you choose the weight you're using for the exercises, and she changes the exercises up pretty frequently, so moves at a quicker pace, for the most part. But again, that depends on the workout you're doing for the day.

The only one's I'd consider "pajama" intensity would be the Prehab routine and Dynamic Stretch. I think her previous sets have been less intense because she hasn't used weights, so there's a lot going on with this set! The variety really is terrific. Interval Mix and Total Body Training are solid intermediate, IMO. You are breathless and sweating, if you're giving it your all and using challenging weights. And, if you are following Beth's moves (more advanced!)

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-16, 08:44 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Well, I tried Cardio Party & 360 abs this morning. I did like Cardio Party, although a few times it seemed too slow (especially compared to Leslie Sansone.) I tried to make up for the slower bpm's by doing larger movements, doing more squatting type moves when doing side steps, & adding hops her & there. I liked the first 10 minutes of 360 abs, where it was mostly cardio abs. I usually don't like standing ab work, & this was no exception, but I hung in there to give the workout a chance. I didn't like the floorwork either. My problem with both was I felt they were too easy. I like Jessica's 10 minute solution abs & Pink Power abs much better.

I previewed Brain Fitness Fun, & it seems to have its moments, but it might be too slow for me at times.

I don't think Jessica's Cardio Party is as intense as any of Stephanie Huckabee's cardio workouts.

I'm not sure what to do with this set. I might return it if that's possible. I have to try some of the strength workouts tomorrow, I guess.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-16, 09:30 AM  
Breezy Trousers

These workouts are pajama workout intensity for my particular body. I don't break out in much of a sweat and can talk/sing while doing them. Having said that, I don't think they are beginner workouts. They are just on the lower end of the intensity scale for me, and I no longer view that as a negative. I'm more likely to do lower intensity workouts these days and find them effective at keeping me healthy and fit.

This series is already in my best buy pile for 2016. Jessica did a wonderful job.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-16, 03:49 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Thank you so much for the replies and feedback Pam, Jennifer and Breezy. I guess I'll have to give it a try myself at some point. I don't like doing super high intensity workouts all the time, so this might be a good mix.

I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying it as much Jennifer.

ETA: LOL on the "wood chops" tag!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, jessica smith rotation, walk strong, wood chops