Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 02-08-16, 10:38 AM  
isebelleg44

Old thread alert

Bumping an old thread to see if anyone has anymore feedback on cast iron skillets. I saw Rachael Ray make a skirt steak in a cast iron skillet today and it made me want to run and buy one!

My father made his own cast iron pan and I grew up eating delicious steak cooked in it.

I was looking on Amazon for them and am a little overwhelmed. Any advice? TIA!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 11:44 AM  
antbuko

I have a cast iron skillet. I use my George Foreman grill sponges to clean it and I don't use soap on it. It's well seasoned and cleans easily.

I have a french oven that I've only used a couple of times, but they are a pleasure to cook in and they clean effortlessly. I don't use it much because I mostly cook for me alone and don't often do roasts but they are truly ideal for that. I don't remember how much mine cost, but Sherry, you should check out TJ Maxx. They often have good deals on items such as this.
Old 02-08-16, 11:58 AM  
sherry7899

I found a 10 inch Lodge brand cast iron skillet on Amazon with free shipping for a good price over a year ago I've used it for fritattas (how the heck do you spell that?), for sauteing vegetables and my for my son's favorite-a skillet brownie recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction site. I clean it with hot water and a stiff brush. I am very happy with it.

I still have not splurged on a dutch oven yet. I am running out of cabinet space! I never cook red meat in the oven or on the stove ,(all I do is occasionally grill hamburgers on my Cuisinart indoor grill, and I make turkey ones 98% of the time) so I'm debating on whether I need it or not.

I haven't tried cornbread yet-to be honest we all LOVE Trader Joe's cornbread mix, so I've stopped trying to make it from scratch. I may try cooking the prepared mix in the cast iron skillet, though. I have to figure out the cooking time-the difference between using an eight inch square glass pan as opposed to a 10 inch skillet. Any ideas on that

I haven't tried cooking eggs in the cast iron pan-any tips? I still have a non stick pan for that. I have stainless steel pans, but cooking eggs in it was a disaster.

Thanks, Helen! I had looked there over a year ago, but they did not have the size I was trying to find.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 01:10 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

My hubby says don't buy modern cast iron unless it's enameled. He says look on ebay for old Griswolds. The more desirable ones are the ones with the heat ring on the bottom. They are not cheap.

Oh, and Sherry, we still scramble and fry eggs in nonstick too.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 01:27 PM  
BunnyHop

One major strike against cast iron? Weight.

I seldom use my (antique) cast iron any more, it bothered my joints enough that I just moved on. I bought stainless steel double handled skillets to replace it for most things, and I bake my cornbread in a Pyrex pan.
Old 02-08-16, 02:00 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Bee! Maybe I'll just stick with using non stick for eggs. I don't want to use butter to cook eggs, and everything stuck to the stainless steel pan. I don't know if they'd stick to my cast iron pan or not-it may not be "seasoned" enough yet.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 02:50 PM  
antbuko

Sherry, I think eggs would stick to the cast iron. I just non stick for eggs too.
Old 02-10-16, 06:43 AM  
isebelleg44

Thanks everyone!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-16, 08:54 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Dr. Oz had a chef on talking about this topic yesterday, maybe there is a video on his website.

Essentially you never wash with soap, never put in a dishwasher. You have to season it first by wiping both sides with oil and baking for an hour at 200 - 225 F deg. Take it out, cool it, wipe it down again and repeat 3-4 times. Then after you cook something, wipe out the food, if anything is stuck scrub with kosher salt. Oil it and bake it to sanitize and build up seasoning.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 03:15 PM  
wendug

Sherry- I DEFINITELY recommend getting an enameled Dutch Oven! I use mine all the time; especially in winter when making soups. Luckily, hubby and I were gifted 3 different Le Crueset pieces over the years: a Dutch Oven with lid, a braiser with lid, and a griddle pan. I know they aren't cheap, but you can often find a deal on a Dutch Oven at Marshalls or TJ Maxx or Homegoods that isn't too pricey. I personally prefer the enameled cast iron cookware, but hubby likes non-enameled cast iron that needs to be seasoned. The pieces are heavy and are a bit of a cabinet hog, but I love cooking and think cast iron pieces are worth it!

Tags
cast iron care, cast iron cookware