Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 08-24-13, 11:28 PM  
sherry7899

cast iron cookware

Does anyone use cast iron cookware? I was thinking of buying a cast iron pan since they are oven safe.

Are they easy to "season" and care for? I'm reading up on it for the first time.

I see the "Lodge" brand which is sold at Walmart has gotten excellent reviews and the prices are reasonable.

Thanks for any input.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 06:00 AM  
sbh

I have always used cast iron skillets and dutch ovens. I also have a cast iron griddle and corn bread pan. They are easy to season. I just wash and then dry immediately on the burner. When it's dry I use Pam and lightly spray it before I store it.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 11:54 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I also use cast iron almost exclusively. They are not for tomato-based or anything acidic. I also hand wash and then dry on a burner. Mine are really well seasoned, so sometimes take nothing after dry, but often we put Crisco on them. We got all of ours at antique stores -- they are usually in pretty bad shape in antique stores, but quite a good value. My husband gets them back into shape -- I'm pretty sure what he does is bake them overnight in a hot oven (we have a wood burning stove and he's been known to put them inside that if they fit -- then he takes a wire brush to them, cleans them up, seasons with Crisco and they are ready to go). Oh, we also do not scramble eggs in them, but pretty much everything else on the stove top is in a cast iron. We have 7 or 8.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 07:00 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it.

I saw that the "Lodge" brand offers a dutch oven with enamel that does allow you to cook dishes that have tomatoes. I may purchase one since I cook a LOT of dishes that have tomatoes.

Does anyone use the stove top grill pans? Those look interesting

Sherri-does the dutch oven fit easily in your oven? What size do you have? I'm looking at a 4.5 quart size.

Do you think food tastes better cooked in cast iron cookware?

I would really like to stop using the non-stick cookware. I'm sick of it flaking so I have to replace it, and I don't like using non stick spray (I seem to need it even on supposedly non stick cookware)

If anyone else has opinions, I'd love to hear them-

Thanks!
Sherry

Old 08-25-13, 07:12 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh, yes, for a dutch oven, we have a Le Crueset (SP?) which is I guess cast iron with enamel. Love cooking with those! We do not have the grill thing so I can't answer that for you. And, I realized I don't use the cast iron quite as much as I made it sound like -- hard boiling eggs, cooking rice/noodles, heating up soup -- all that happens in All Clad or whatever they are. I don't notice any difference in the way things taste cooked in the cast iron, unless maybe they cook more evenly, don't burn -- I guess that would effect the taste! Honestly, we've been using them so long that I don't remember.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 07:20 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Bee! I can't afford the more expensive brands of cast iron cookware, so that is why I was looking at the Lodge brand. I appreciate your input. I will keep some "regular" pots and pans for pasta/eggs/rice.

Sherry

Old 08-25-13, 07:23 PM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it.

I saw that the "Lodge" brand offers a dutch oven with enamel that does allow you to cook dishes that have tomatoes. I may purchase one since I cook a LOT of dishes that have tomatoes.

Does anyone use the stove top grill pans? Those look interesting

Sherri-does the dutch oven fit easily in your oven? What size do you have? I'm looking at a 4.5 quart size.

Do you think food tastes better cooked in cast iron cookware?

I would really like to stop using the non-stick cookware. I'm sick of it flaking so I have to replace it, and I don't like using non stick spray (I seem to need it even on supposedly non stick cookware)

If anyone else has opinions, I'd love to hear them-

Thanks!
Sherry
Our dutch oven is about 4.5 quarts. It fits easily in our oven. Sometimes I use it on the burner too if I am making a large quantity of something. My pita breads do much better on cast iron than non stick skillets too.
Old 08-25-13, 07:25 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you, Sherri! What do you make in pita bread on the stove? I am always looking for new cooking ideas

I really want to make cornbread, but I think my first recipe will be this one:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/c...epper-and.html

Sherry

Old 09-14-13, 09:06 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

my mom had some cast iron (I may get it when I go back up there this fall/winter when we clear out the house) she did a LOT of frying in Crisco when she used these- gravy, chicken fried steak, the works - but they can try to rust if they're left wet after washing - she'd let hers dry a bit on their own then wipe them off.
I thougth it was good to cook tomato based stuff so the food would get some iron in it...dunno though wouldnt' want something funky tasting.
I have some le creuset - the previous owner left it when he moved then I bought a few pieces - one was super discounted on tanga.com at the time. I find it nce but sooo heavy. not comfortable for me as far as lifting. I also find myself reaching for my little t-fal nonstick pan for doing eggs and a lot of things.
Old 09-15-13, 03:35 AM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thank you, Sherri! What do you make in pita bread on the stove? I am always looking for new cooking ideas

I really want to make cornbread, but I think my first recipe will be this one:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/c...epper-and.html

Sherry
I make actual homemade pita bread. This is my way of controlling my bread intake. Since it takes about about three hours from the bread machine to the actual cooking it on the stove, I don't eat as much as I would if there were a loaf of bread hanging around.

Tags
cast iron care, cast iron cookware