Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-16, 12:44 PM  
moonbeam31

No Planks or Pushups workouts

I know Jessica Smith and Ellen Barrett are pretty good about No/ Not Many Planks, Pushups, Burpees, All fours on the floor etc in their workouts- but can you guys recommend some mostly ALL Standing 30-45 min routines that do not involve getting down on the floor for Planks, Pushups or dips etc. I have to protect my wrists from these moves because I am a hairstylist and am in my early 40's and just cannot do these anymore as they aggravate my carpal-tunnel sensitive writs. I love "four Limb AWT" type moves. I have had all of the Firm workouts and have kept the ones I like. I have ALL Ellen Barrett and Jessica Smith workouts- not really into Leslie anymore...I have had a lot of workouts over the years- but maybe you can even remind me of some! Thanks
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 12:49 PM  
bubbles76

Stay away from recent Cathe Friedrich then. And horizontal conditioning.

I believe Erin O'Brien's Strong Body, Ageless Body did not have wrist intensive work. There was a short section of all fours work. However, Strong Body, Fit Body does have pushups. KCM Weights and Your Best Body (I think?) does not have anything wrist intensive. Oh, and Gilad has some 45 minute routines that don't have wrist intensive moves, but there is some cardio.

LauraS would be GREAT to answer this question. I hope she chimes in.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 01:09 PM  
andtckrtoo

Definitely avoid Fe Fit! I swear half the workout is planks pushups or burpees.

Let's see - Pump! does have some push ups and planks, but you'll get a great workout if you avoid those parts.

There are also gloves that will put your hands in a more comfortable position: http://www.wristassuredgloves.com/wrist-support-yoga/
Old 02-08-16, 01:12 PM  
Kitten

Jari Love might be what you're looking for. She does use compound moves in some of her workouts, she usually has a modifier doing a different exercise during dips, & her dvds are chaptered so you can easily skip the pushup sequences.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 01:38 PM  
Lorelai

Do you like Tracey Mallett? She occasionally throws in some plank work, but it would be easy to modify that to forearms. She also sometimes does some downward facing dog, not sure if that bugs your wrists? But it would be easy to skip in favor of a water break, more stretching, or something else. Given that I mainly workout with Jessica and Ellen, with a little bit of Tracey and lately I'm branching out into CS/Essentrics, I don't have much else to say! lol I saw you mentioned Jennifer Galardi on another thread, do you like her work? Also, maybe Sadie Lincoln and Barre3? I did Jessica's YT Barre for Beginners yesterday and before doing triceps on the chair, she reminded me that I could also use the chair to modify plank! I actually felt it a lot, and it was sooo much easier on my wrists (I broke them both 10 years ago and they are sensitive). So that's an option too, maybe.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 01:56 PM  
DrSteph

KCM Muscle Definition is not wrist intensive. Workout 1 does have tricep dips off the step but one of the background exercisers subs with tricep kickbacks. There are no pushups in either workout 1 or 2.

The extra abdominal section has some very brief plank work, but it is at the end of the section and easy to skip.
DrSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 10:26 PM  
moonbeam31

Thanks so much for the great rec! I'm going to check into these! :-)
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 11:31 PM  
bfit

With the exception of Fierce Force, the Annie Mairs workouts (Core Force, Life Force, Cardio Force, and Jump Force) do not have many of these moves. I think there's one set of push-ups and one plank exercise in each one of these workouts. I don't remember any burpees or mountain climbers at all.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 01:38 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Another vote for KCM's Your Best Body. KCM's Muscle Up only has a short segment of push-ups and is great for going heavy - love it! Many Jari Love DVDs are a good choice too as she either goes light on the push-up reps or you can skip those segments easily. Gilad doesn't do overkill on push-ups either - I especially like his Express series (you can find legal versions on YouTube on my playlist at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...HznGgMamYmBA1P and https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...h3cLugVBwxn_aZ) and his QuickFit series. Erin O'Brien rocks too! I like Strong Body, Ageless Body because it doesn't have compound moves.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 08:16 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
LauraS would be GREAT to answer this question. I hope she chimes in.
Me, too! .... I'm exploring this myself, Moonbeam, so thanks for this thread.

Older workouts tend to be more wrist-friendly. Many post-2007 workouts are saturated with push-ups, planks, mountain climbers, burpees, etc. The trend was fun when it was new & fresh but it became boring, predictable and everywhere by 2012. Now it's outright unfriendly for those who are wrist-cautious. So I'm turning to my older workouts and modifying with others.

My latest hobby is watching my wallet grow fatter with each burpee-plank-mountain climber-push-up workout released on the market!

P.S. Barlates and KCM offer many wrist-friendly workouts.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote