Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-16, 10:06 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I have had my best "results" just being consistent. I've done a different workout every day when I was cleaning out my collection. That was fun. I also have done Powerfit, various short workout rotations (10 MS or Powerfit type). I have followed CLX and a couple Michelle Dozois rotations. Nothing was really any better than the next. I really think consistency is the key...moving every day.
Yep.
Old 02-08-16, 10:55 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I guess it depends what you mean by "results". Most fitness systems are a good mix of everything so I think they promote general, overall fitness which if that is your goal then it would work. I think if you have more specific goals such as core strength, or for me working my butt and debulking my quads then following a general system or even some of Cathe's monthly rotations would not give me my specific results.

So I do follow my own rotations but they change depending on my goals. I make sure my rotations are consistent with my goals and that they progress each week in their intensity whether it be increasing the weight, the reps, the frequency of the workout etc.
I'm exactly the same as Tugger. Sometimes, like now, when work schedule is crazy I'm just going for maintenance/sanity so ANY workout that I have the energy for, doesn't compromise my joints, or add further stress to my life will do. This keeps me at a base level of general conditioning, blood pressure down, etc etc, but won't improve performance measures. But that's OK.

When things lighten up lifestyle wise, I then have the opportunity to focus on specific goals, whether it is additional endurance, strength, whatever and I will then follow a program that is oriented towards that goals.

Both approaches give "good results", based on the differing goals. But if I have specific body comp management/fitness improvement goals, I need to do a program of some kind to achieve them.

eta: it's also ok for me to start off with goals and base my program around that, then revert to a "anything that will work" week when things start to fall apart schedule-wise. Actually I guess I could also consider that an active rest week. Then when able, I'll go back to my regularly scheduled program, adapting if needed.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 11:25 AM  
Kitten

I love rotations. For me, as a first thing in the morning exerciser, it's great not to have to think before my coffee .

I just finished a P.I.N.K. rotation & I started Body Beast today. That being said, I considered doing a loose rotation of Jari & Leslie with flexibility work added on each day.

I see results both ways.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 12:24 PM  
TinaS

Until recently, I have always worked out consistently but never followed specific rotations. The majority of the time, I do Cathe workouts. About 3 months ago, I started doing rotations by Cathe. I have been amazed by the results! Evidently, I pick and choose workouts on my own that don't give me a well-rounded program. I don't like working legs, so I typically have neglected that. So, I plan on continuing to following her rotations because I do Cathe workouts pretty much all the time anyway and by following those I am more inclined to hit everything that I need to be doing.

"Don't be Defeated!" ~~ Cathe
"I know it's hard. But, do it. Please. ~~ Sylwia
"Nothing comes easy. It's always a fight. ~~ Cathe
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 07:28 PM  
lorajc

Ok....I think you all have given me a LOT to think about. I've never really gotten good results in my life....and I always flit around from this to that and never follow a rotation!! I think I need to buckle down and do a rotation!! I need a plan! I NEVER have a plan either! My diet is not the problem. I am not eating too much...so that is not why I'm not seeing results. I AM a cardio hater and do need to find ways to get more cardio in also.

The only problems with Rotations, is when I find something I like......like right now...I like Hammer & Chisel.....but I've been thinking of doing a TA rotation.......so I kind of want to do both of them some how......It's like only doing one of them would bore me. Maybe I can do H&C for 3 weeks and TA for 3 weeks and do that for a period of time?

What does everyone think? Oh and of course I'll always have to have my Kundalini Yoga in there....as I always practice! I still think this would be a big step for me.

Everyone is right in that there is science in the rotations.....so what would be a good time period for me to stick with each if I need the variety of doing 2 things?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 07:39 PM  
Arielle96

The ONLY rotation I ever completed was an old Firm Forum Bikini Body Rotation. It was 3 months and I really liked it. One month was upper body focused, one month was lower body focused and one month was abs focused. I'm a cardio hater too and this one was perfect for me.
Arielle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 07:42 PM  
Tugger31

What is your goal? Consistency? More Cardio??

If it's more cardio, your "rotation" could simply be to devote say 2 days a week to cardio for 2 weeks, then the third week to do cardio 3 times a week. The rest of the days you could do anything you want whether it be Hammer & Chisel, TA or whatever. I say it really depends on what you want your goal to be so start with your goal and go from there.

It's hard to gauge "results" if you don't have a goal. It's like trying to know if you've arrived if you don't know where you're going.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 07:46 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:

If it's more cardio, your "rotation" could simply be to devote say 2 days a week to cardio for 2 weeks, then the third week to do cardio 3 times a week. The rest of the days you could do anything you want whether it be Hammer & Chisel, TA or whatever. I say it really depends on what you want your goal to be so start with your goal and go from there.
That's pretty much my approach too. A theme, not an instructor, package set or program. I just stick the label "rotation" on it.

Saves me a bit of cash (not that it was lying around waiting to be spent in the first place) and a big truckload of buyer's remorse.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 09:06 PM  
rhbrand

For years I've gotten great results with just doing whatever. Oh, I'd maybe do a week or two of like Cathe's PS series, but generally, I'd do a Cathe one day, take a walk, then maybe do a couple Firms. Just do whatever. And I looked pretty darn good.

To bad I didn't keep it up when DH was deployed and I got a little depressed and gained a bunch of weight.
Old 02-08-16, 10:05 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:

It's hard to gauge "results" if you don't have a goal. It's like trying to know if you've arrived if you don't know where you're going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
That's pretty much my approach too. A theme, not an instructor, package set or program. I just stick the label "rotation" on it.

Saves me a bit of cash (not that it was lying around waiting to be spent in the first place) and a big truckload of buyer's remorse.
This is my general approach as well, and I like it because it allows for some flexibility. Lately I've been focusing more on cardio, emphasizing strengthening the lower body, to build a good foundation. I'm including lots of stretching as well. I'm trying to incorporate standing core work as often as possible, with less focus on the upper body for now. Within those parameters, I have lots of choices. YouTube is especially awesome and allows me to fit a lot in. Yesterday I did Jessica Smith's new 10 minute Flat Abs Walk to warm up and target abs, and followed it with Barre for Beginners. Then I ended with two mini Classical Stretch episodes, also from YouTube, targeting my hips and back. A lot of variety in a short amount of time, and challenging enough for me right now.

There are times when I feel like I "should" do something with hand weights on a given day, but I can tell that I need something stretchy. If I do the weights anyway, then I generally don't perform as well or feel very good after. If I pick something else, say Fusion Flow, then I get in some body weight strengthening without sacrificing the stretchy stuff I know I need. I do think you'll get better "results" if you at least have a goal in mind, but for me, exercise is very much about feeling good in body and mind, which is why I like to be intuitive about my workouts. I'm sure you can find a happy place that works for you too.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, results, rotation, workout consistency, workout focus