Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-21, 04:53 PM  
kat999

What can help psoas/hip flexors?

For a couple of months now, I've had trouble with my right either psoas or hip flexor area, to the point where I got tested to make sure I didn't have an ovarian cyst or something worse. It flares up at different times of the month, and I've noticed that my mobility and flexibility in my right hip is not where it used to be; the left side seems largely unaffected. I know it's probably due to working from home in a less-than-ideal chair, plus doing all my workouts at home and not getting some weekly yoga and barre classes in person where a teacher can correct my form.

My weekly rotation right now takes me through the FIRM, Jari Love, Jane Fonda, various yoga videos, Jillian Michaels, Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett, and the New York City Ballet workouts. I'm looking for something I can fit in there once or twice a week that specifically targets the hip flexors, either yoga, Pilates, or even just specific moves I could squeeze in for a few minutes. I know there are specific hip openers I could be doing, and that yin yoga might help. What do you like for helping this area?

Edited to add: I do also have a streaming subscription to FitFusion, so I have access to some barre, yoga, and Pilates there, too, in addition to anything I can find on YouTube or can easily order online. I don't want to add another streaming service in, though.
Old 01-17-21, 04:57 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

I feel your pain, literally, what helps me a lot w/ that area is Classical Stretch - particularly the barre/chair work. something else that helps is anything that helps to stretch the sides of my body - I had a bad bout of back/hip/psoas pain at the end of 2020/start of 2021 and I found that CS and stretching my sides has helped the most - I am pretty much pain free now - I just have to figure out what "maintenance" level looks like for me!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 05:00 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,

I feel your pain, literally, what helps me a lot w/ that area is Classical Stretch - particularly the barre/chair work. something else that helps is anything that helps to stretch the sides of my body - I had a bad bout of back/hip/psoas pain at the end of 2020/start of 2021 and I found that CS and stretching my sides has helped the most - I am pretty much pain free now - I just have to figure out what "maintenance" level looks like for me!

Donna
Oo, thanks, Donna! I've never actually done Classical Stretch but I've seen people rave about it on here for years. I'll look into that!
Old 01-17-21, 05:03 PM  
donnamp

CS has a You Tube channel if you want to try w/out committing to a subscription - or if your PBS channel carries it you can try it that way. I think the Streaming site provides at least a 7 day free trial for you to see if it would work for you.

This workout from Jessica Valent is also a good one for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1TuZ_14lQ

I did it and then realized that a lot of my pain was resolved by doing these exercises.

I think a lot of it is caused by the endless sitting working from home...

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 05:09 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I think a lot of it is caused by the endless sitting working from home...
Donna
Thanks for that link, too, Donna! And yes, a lot of it I really think is caused from sitting working from home. I was working from home even before the pandmic, but at least back then I could go work at a coffeehouse or something for a change of scenery, go out for lunch with friends, run errands, etc. Now even though the amount I exercise has even INCREASED, I'm getting less variety in where and how I sit, and I think that's the problem.

I'll check out CS's YT channel and look at some of their DVDs, too. I don't think my local PBS station carries it, sadly.
Old 01-17-21, 05:50 PM  
Bluebelle

I have issues with my hips from sitting too much at work. I use a break app on my computer. I try and stand up every time the app comes up. Sometimes I skip it and I think my hips feel worse. Second the classical stretch recommendation. Plus I try and stretch every night and that helps. I use this one.
https://hovancik.net/stretchly/
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 05:55 PM  
LAC

In several different threads over the years, I recall a few people saying they had to give up doing Leslie Sansone videos because it aggravated their hip flexors. If you are doing a lot of video walking workouts, maybe try cutting back on them a bit and do a different kind of cardio to see if that makes a difference?
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 06:13 PM  
DCW

I do Essentrics/Classical Stretch 5 days a week for a few years. I can't see myself stopping. I work from home and try to do one or two barre/chair workouts, too. Some of the floor work and floor stretches are helpful too.

I also make a point to get in a miniwalk during the day. It might be walking outdoors for 5-10 minutes. I figured out that I never sat in the office at my desk for two hours straight. Why now?? If it's raining I do a 2-3 minute Essentrics warmup. Working from home, I try to get in as many steps by lunch that I would get if I commuted to work. When I was commuting and in the office, I would get about 4,000 steps before my lunchtime walk.

Crazy that it's harder for me to get in my steps at home but it tells me how much I am not moving during the workday.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 06:41 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelle View Post
I have issues with my hips from sitting too much at work. I use a break app on my computer. I try and stand up every time the app comes up. Sometimes I skip it and I think my hips feel worse. Second the classical stretch recommendation. Plus I try and stretch every night and that helps. I use this one.
https://hovancik.net/stretchly/
Thanks for the link! And what is the break app you use on your computer? That sounds like a good idea.
Old 01-17-21, 06:41 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
In several different threads over the years, I recall a few people saying they had to give up doing Leslie Sansone videos because it aggravated their hip flexors. If you are doing a lot of video walking workouts, maybe try cutting back on them a bit and do a different kind of cardio to see if that makes a difference?
That's a good point. I do indeed do a lot of walking workouts, particularly when it's colder and I can't go jogging outside. I'll try to add in other cardio.

Tags
bobandbrad, hip flexor, hip openers, psoas